Bad
Good

My child has been at Magee since 6th grade and is now an 8th grader, as every child who starts back to school there will be some rough days if not weeks ahead until they adjust to the changes. My experience from Magee and what my child tells me, I feel pretty good that she is getting a good education and likes her teachers. I do find that there seems to be a lot of homework which really pushes the students to achieve and complete them but at the same time can overwhelm them if they do not have a support system. Mr. Ericsson the former principal I thought was great and inviting the office staff on the other hand is a different story. Let's just say you avoid the rude ones. I feel the teachers give what they can with the resources they get from TUSD. I believe in supporting TUSD and have never thought about sending my child to a charter school. I know of several parents who choose a charter school because they believed the hype it's better. As the years have progressed they are now back at a TUSD school and their children are much happier. Supportive parent!

Magee has a great orchestra program. The social studies teachers are top-notch as well. There are several extended field trips available ($) with extra learning that are offered each year. Although this is a middle school, if you want your sixth grader to have a traditional single-teacher classroom, that is also available. Downsides--some students don't control their behavior. Some classes can feel chaotic, although most do not. The previous principal was excellent and it is hoped the new one will be the same. We're glad we have chosen Magee for our three children.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Because I am up all night trying to get my homework done before I go to bed

Because everyone gets bad grades and the bathrooms are dissecting to the point where no one wants to use the restroom

Magee has been a wonderful school for my child. The teachers care about learning and will go to great lengths to ensure that kids are understanding and keeping up with lessons being taught. The communication between teachers and parents has been fantastic. There are many extra curricular activities for kids to join and the coaches are dedicated and positive across the board. The administration is great at communicating and responding when there are needs and the teachers have a wonderful way of creating a positive and enriching environment in their classrooms. Like all schools, there are challenges within the student body but the staff is committed to keeping the campus safe and a great place to learn.

The principal at Magee lacks commitment and vision for the school. His frequent absences and lack of commitment to improving the school is obvious and the students and staff suffer for it. Thankfully, the assistant principal is excellent as well as most of the teachers. However, until Magee has a principal that wants to make a difference in the lives of students, Magee will remain an average school.

Magee continues to thrive and maintain enrollment, despite the budget cuts and lack of staffing from the State of Arizona. The staff goes above and beyond the call of duty to help, when you ask for help. The school administration is visible and listens to concerns and works to rectify them as quickly as possible. I can only imagine the great things Magee could do if the state of Arizona actually funded public education and not charter schools.

I have desperately wanted my daughter out of this school for the last 6 months. I was looking for other options and I came across a couple of charter schools but they were full and had waiting lists. After some thoughts, I really didn t want my daughter at a charter school and I wanted to support the traditional public school system. My daughter had come from Collier and it was an excellent learning experience for her. When she went to Magee she became miserable and she just was not excelling to her capacity. I have an older son who attended Magee and did extremely well and he is now a Sr. at Sabino . I think the main problem is the leadership at Magee. The principal just does not care about the students and their education. He looks angry all the time. The front office is often rude and looks miserable too. Magee needs to replace the administration to be successful again. I am happy to say my daughter will attending the new Sabino JR high next year for 7th with a real leader Mr. Munger. Sorry Magee is not a current quality school.

Magee Middle School is run more like a JV detention center rather than an school. If you want to prepare your child for such a future, then by all means register them at Magee. They implement their school policies like criminal statutes rather than to promote learning. They finally did away with the punitive "Pride" program after so many complaints but the mentality still persists. Recently they had a session to punish the whole 7th grade. God only knows for what. If you voice your concerns expect your child to be targeted and staff to become adversarial. Thank goodness for the community Sabino High School recently opened up a Jr. High program in the area. Its a "blue ribbon" "A" rated school.

The principal and teachers care about the students and care about their learning. Magee is a good middle school.

Last modified Magee Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.