Tucson, AZ

Magee Middle School 3

Posted May 03, 2015
The principal at Magee lacks commitment and vision for the school. His frequent absences and lack of commitment to improving the school is obvious and the students and staff suffer for it. Thankfully, the assistant principal is excellent as well as most of the teachers. However, until Magee has a principal that wants to make a difference in the lives of students, Magee will remain an average school.

Posted April 12, 2015
Magee continues to thrive and maintain enrollment, despite the budget cuts and lack of staffing from the State of Arizona. The staff goes above and beyond the call of duty to help, when you ask for help. The school administration is visible and listens to concerns and works to rectify them as quickly as possible. I can only imagine the great things Magee could do if the state of Arizona actually funded public education and not charter schools.

Posted March 27, 2015
I have desperately wanted my daughter out of this school for the last 6 months. I was looking for other options and I came across a couple of charter schools but they were full and had waiting lists. After some thoughts, I really didn t want my daughter at a charter school and I wanted to support the traditional public school system. My daughter had come from Collier and it was an excellent learning experience for her. When she went to Magee she became miserable and she just was not excelling to her capacity. I have an older son who attended Magee and did extremely well and he is now a Sr. at Sabino . I think the main problem is the leadership at Magee. The principal just does not care about the students and their education. He looks angry all the time. The front office is often rude and looks miserable too. Magee needs to replace the administration to be successful again. I am happy to say my daughter will attending the new Sabino JR high next year for 7th with a real leader Mr. Munger. Sorry Magee is not a current quality school.

Posted March 26, 2015
Magee Middle School is run more like a JV detention center rather than an school. If you want to prepare your child for such a future, then by all means register them at Magee. They implement their school policies like criminal statutes rather than to promote learning. They finally did away with the punitive "Pride" program after so many complaints but the mentality still persists. Recently they had a session to punish the whole 7th grade. God only knows for what. If you voice your concerns expect your child to be targeted and staff to become adversarial. Thank goodness for the community Sabino High School recently opened up a Jr. High program in the area. Its a "blue ribbon" "A" rated school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 16, 2015
The principal and teachers care about the students and care about their learning. Magee is a good middle school.

Posted February 24, 2015
They have a great staff and strong leadership. The facility could use some upgrades, which is common in TUSD. For Tucson middle schools, Magee is one of the best.

Posted February 23, 2015
The principal asked parents to submit reviews at a recent school function so that is why there are so many current reviews. I disagree with the previous reviewer's negative perception of the school. Most of the teachers have been there for many years. I feel that the majority of the teachers are caring and want the best for their students. I have found that teachers email me with concerns or quickly respond to emails. Due to TUSD cutbacks, the front office is primarily run by students as an elective choice with adult supervision. The electives that are offered are Spanish, technology, drama, PE, band, and orchestra. I'd like to see art brought back. The vice principal heads up the disciplinary actions, is tough on bullying, and is fair but firm. I truly feel that Magee is above average compared to other TUSD schools.

Posted February 22, 2015
Magee Middle school has been on a spiral downfall the last few years. They cannot seem to keep the same teachers. They have been losing their teachers to other districts or just better schools in general. The few teachers that have remained teaching at Magee are great teachers but they seem overwhelmed with the over pour of students. This school used to teach anti bullying, however there front office administration and principal have targeted students and parents that are not with in there circle like a childish click. They have proven to stick their nose where it does not belong instead of trying to improve students education. The lack of ethical leadership in this school the last few years has not provided students with direction, structure, or responsibility. Check out other districts, charters, or other TUSD options. This school is currently rated a 4 out of 10 on great schools. They are a "C" letter grade school with objectives not met on Arizona report cards. Do the research and see there numbers have dropped. The previous 5 star ratings were probably all an act of trickery all done by the same person/people because this school is losing enrollment to high performing charters
2 people found this helpful

Posted February 20, 2015
My son attended Magee for 7th and 8th grade (twice). Thank goodness for teachers that cared and communicated and suggested that he say and repeat 8th grade. He is now a senior at Sahuaro and taking AP classes. He still loves school and is planning on furthering his education after graduation. I attribute much of this to the teachers that intervened and helped him to succeed. He also participated in Magee's fabulous music program. They continually get Superior ratings at their ABODA festivals. Thank you for all that you have done for my child!

Posted February 20, 2015
We open enrolled at Magee after trying several charter schools. We were frustrated with the lack of rigor and discipline as well as the extremely limited or non-existent extra curricular activities. For those that believe that charter schools are better without exception, I can tell you this was not our experience. One program we enrolled in was short-lived and closed their doors. The other had a revolving door of teachers and very limited resources. Once we toured Magee, the difference was obvious. You walk the halls and it is clean, students are busily working, teachers are caring and the curriculum is challenging. I have been particularly impressed with the Science department. At our children's previous school, kids rarely did any kind of hands-on lab type activities (partially I sure due to the lack of discipline and concerns over safety). Here they are a regular occurrence. These have really got my kids excited about careers in science. The Odyssey of the Mind program is a great addition and allows them to further explore both their science and creative sides at the same time. If you are on the fence, I recommend that you ask for a tour. You will be impressed!

Magee Middle School
8300 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ  85710
Last modified Magee Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Magee Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top