Tucson, AZ

Magee Middle School 4

Posted February 24, 2015
They have a great staff and strong leadership. The facility could use some upgrades, which is common in TUSD. For Tucson middle schools, Magee is one of the best.

Magee Middle School 4

Posted February 23, 2015
The principal asked parents to submit reviews at a recent school function so that is why there are so many current reviews. I disagree with the previous reviewer's negative perception of the school. Most of the teachers have been there for many years. I feel that the majority of the teachers are caring and want the best for their students. I have found that teachers email me with concerns or quickly respond to emails. Due to TUSD cutbacks, the front office is primarily run by students as an elective choice with adult supervision. The electives that are offered are Spanish, technology, drama, PE, band, and orchestra. I'd like to see art brought back. The vice principal heads up the disciplinary actions, is tough on bullying, and is fair but firm. I truly feel that Magee is above average compared to other TUSD schools.

Magee Middle School 1

Posted February 22, 2015
Magee Middle school has been on a spiral downfall the last few years. They cannot seem to keep the same teachers. They have been losing their teachers to other districts or just better schools in general. The few teachers that have remained teaching at Magee are great teachers but they seem overwhelmed with the over pour of students. This school used to teach anti bullying, however there front office administration and principal have targeted students and parents that are not with in there circle like a childish click. They have proven to stick their nose where it does not belong instead of trying to improve students education. The lack of ethical leadership in this school the last few years has not provided students with direction, structure, or responsibility. Check out other districts, charters, or other TUSD options. This school is currently rated a 4 out of 10 on great schools. They are a "C" letter grade school with objectives not met on Arizona report cards. Do the research and see there numbers have dropped. The previous 5 star ratings were probably all an act of trickery all done by the same person/people because this school is losing enrollment to high performing charters

Posted February 20, 2015
My son attended Magee for 7th and 8th grade (twice). Thank goodness for teachers that cared and communicated and suggested that he say and repeat 8th grade. He is now a senior at Sahuaro and taking AP classes. He still loves school and is planning on furthering his education after graduation. I attribute much of this to the teachers that intervened and helped him to succeed. He also participated in Magee's fabulous music program. They continually get Superior ratings at their ABODA festivals. Thank you for all that you have done for my child!

Posted February 20, 2015
We open enrolled at Magee after trying several charter schools. We were frustrated with the lack of rigor and discipline as well as the extremely limited or non-existent extra curricular activities. For those that believe that charter schools are better without exception, I can tell you this was not our experience. One program we enrolled in was short-lived and closed their doors. The other had a revolving door of teachers and very limited resources. Once we toured Magee, the difference was obvious. You walk the halls and it is clean, students are busily working, teachers are caring and the curriculum is challenging. I have been particularly impressed with the Science department. At our children's previous school, kids rarely did any kind of hands-on lab type activities (partially I sure due to the lack of discipline and concerns over safety). Here they are a regular occurrence. These have really got my kids excited about careers in science. The Odyssey of the Mind program is a great addition and allows them to further explore both their science and creative sides at the same time. If you are on the fence, I recommend that you ask for a tour. You will be impressed!

Posted February 19, 2015
My daughter participated in Magee's Odyssey of the Mind program, and her team made it all the way to the world championships her 7th & 8th grade years. In 6th grade, she went to Washington DC on a very educational trip. Magee has top-rated music programs, and many teachers there deserve recognition for their hard work & dedication to students, especially Mrs. Letson, Ms. Wilson, and the entire language arts department. I highly recommend this school for anyone who wants their son/daughter to receive a top quality education.

Posted February 19, 2015
My daughter attended Magee 6-8 and is currently enrolled at Sabino as a freshman. At Magee she received an excellent education with so many additional benefits of the fantastic music program Odyssey of the Mind and Dc Washington DC club. Magee is an extraordinary school with a superior dedicated staff.

Posted February 19, 2015
With the new administration, the school has made a strong comeback in the last couple of years. Their test scores far exceed other middle schools. The teachers are dedicated with many of them offering free tutoring during their lunch time or after school. There is even a free tutoring program on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the school library. Magee's honor programs are highly rated and offer a rigorous curriculum. The class sizes are small, running around 25 kids per class. Discipline is strong with lots of adult supervision in the halls and on the fields. The club programs are some of the best in the city, especially their Odyssey of the Mind program which is the top rated one in AZ! The band and orchestra programs are also top-notch. There is a new drama teacher this year who has directed wonderful student performances.

Magee Middle School 2

Posted May 19, 2014
How quickly and how far Magee has fallen! My oldest daughter (now a Junior at Sabino) went to Magee and we were pleased with the teachers and the principal. They were strict yet caring and dedicated. In the two years since the change in leadership, we have watched this school tumble. My youngest daughter is about to complete 6th grade at Magee and we have decided she won't be returning. The few teachers that do care (or did care) are leaving. (Yes, the band was amazing, but even that teacher is leaving). The classrooms are crowded, the staff is overwhelmed and simply don't care anymore. Unfortunately, it is the students who are paying the price. The good teachers are moving on. The principal is simply not nice to deal with and I never got the feeling he cared about any of the kids or our concerns as parents (and yes, we have brought them to his attention - many times). I pains me to see a child go from enthusiastic about school to hating it. We will be moving her out of Magee in hopes of rekindling that spark.

Magee Middle School 1

Posted December 06, 2013
This school has gone down hill the last few years. I understand that there has been budget cuts for TUSD, but it is reflecting on these kids education. This school does not provide text books for the children, some teachers provide xerox book pages for students. If a child does not complete classwork they do not have a text book to take home to complete the assignment. Some of the teachers my children have had are extremely helpful and pick up the slack for others. This school has become worse the last couple years probably due to other TUSD schools closing and now the classes are more overcrowded than before. The front office is extremely rude and lacks communication skills with parents. The new principal has yet to show leadership for the school. Check out other districts or charter schools before thinking of registering your child here. Great schools rate Magee at 5. poor rating.
2 people found this helpful

Magee Middle School
8300 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ  85710
Last modified Magee Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Magee Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top