Marana High School 5

Posted June 27, 2014
This is a great school that suffers from many misperceptions. The students are kind and caring. The staff works hard to meet the needs of the students. There are many AP programs, Science Olympiad, Academic Decathlon type programs that challenge the brightest students regardless of what the school's reputation says. It is a safe campus. Teachers are held to a high standard. If you have questions go talk to the administration and teachers. You will be surprised at the great things this school is doing.

Marana High School 2

Posted June 25, 2014
I will be a senior this year. I'm excited and nervous to leave. I don't feel prepared for college or the world. The class sizes are large. Some teachers go above and beyond while others....do not. They school picks favorites and there are a lot of fights/drugs. The schools motto is "caring and effective". Personally I'm tired of hearing the principal tell us how much she loves us. There is a lot of extracurricular activities though. I can't say how the sports teams are because I've never joined one. The fine arts are and music are awesome though. we have academies that are supposed to help guide us to our future careers but honestly they don't do anything. Maybe this year will be better? I doubt it though.

Posted September 12, 2013
The administration at Marana High School plays favorites and gets involved in teen drama. They discriminate against kids who come from disadvantaged backgrounds. The athletic director is really bad about making it difficult for certain kinds of kids to participate in sports even when they meet all requirements. The principal is not responsive to parents and ignores problems. I would not trust a child with these people. Some of the teachers are really great, but the administration does not support them or respect their opinions.

Marana High School 4

Posted June 03, 2011
I am a a former student and graduate of Marana High School (MHS). I am beyond grateful for the encouragement, pressure, expectations and more importantly- guidance that this public school not only offered but provided to me. Only graduating 3 years ago (2008); I am almost completed with my Bachelors Degree, work for the Federal Gov't (for over 2 and a half years) and was a brand new homeowner at age 19. Parents can only push a child to do their best to an extent; MHS's devoted teachers pushed even further. Each student makes a school their own; but at MHS it was hard to not have higher goals. I have always needed "pressure" due to a lack of motivation; MHS had that. Peer pressure, Academy pressure, instructor pressure, pressure to represent yourself, your Academy and your Instructors in a high manner. I am VERY proud to have been a Marana High School Tiger and even more proud to have been in the Marana MedStart Academy. The academics really do help a student focus on a future far beyond high school and even college- they force a career (not a job) to be set in every students' mind. This was a very powerful tool. The student diversity was healthy and respectful to each other.

Posted January 11, 2011
I am a parent of a freshman and at the begining of the school year when parents were asked to attend the opening enrollment, it all sounded great I was excited to think that my son would have resources at hand to help if he were to fall behind in a subject. He has needed extra help and the school promised me that they would be there and keep communication open between myself and the teachers. That has not worked out so well. I see his frustration and its difficult as a parent to stand by. They claim there students are college ready but what about the here and now. One step at a time this is his first year in High School and he already feels lost in his work. Wheres all the resources that was promised at the begining. No student left behind......

Posted May 26, 2010
this school does not deserve a rating. teachers do not grade properly, academies aren't doing anything, and there is no challenging academic programs

Posted April 15, 2010
I am a ex-student of Marana High School. I graduated in 2007. I must say while the school is great 'socially', academically the school needs severe improvement. When I attended Marana I took a CP classes, graduated, only to still test lower in college. I was very disappointed and did not feel that Marana High School prepared me for the future or college. I am not getting ready to graduate from college, and I must say it has been a struggle. My sister now attends Marana and from what I hear it has not changed much, if anything it sounds worse!! I wish you all good luck at Marana High School.

Marana High School 5

Posted April 04, 2010
This is a great school for a college-bound student. Marana High School has made excellent efforts to identify and track excelling students. Additionally, they have an academy system which allows students to thrive in a small learning community. The wide variety of course offerings this high school has is tremendous, and insures your high school student will be ready for college.

Marana High School 3

Posted December 29, 2009
I am a senior of this high school and I am proud of it, but at the same time I am not. The quality of the education at this school is average, but that is depending on what kind of education and from what kind of teachers you are going to get. Some teachers are above excellent, and some teachers are not. There are times when the student may get frustrated because of way the teacher may teach, but the student has a lot of resources and opportunities to get over such obstacles. Drugs are prone, fights are common, but there are things in Marana that really shines out. The amount of help available is more then accommodating, and many teachers are willing to go out of their way to help. Students who are unable to find such teachers just simply did not try hard enough, that is all.

Marana High School 0

Posted June 28, 2009
I am a now a current 10th grade student at Marana High School. I also feel like I get no help from all of my teachers. The better teachers do shine out better then the ones that dont. Last year was not the best year with all of the fights but i hope that this year will be better.

Marana High School
12000 W. Emigh, Tucson, AZ  85743
Last modified Marana High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marana High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews.