No rating

Mesquite Elementary School

Charter | K-5

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted November 11, 2013

Mesquite is an excellent school. My two children both attend and have excelled there. The teachers are too notch. I would highly recommend Mesquite.

Posted October 20, 2011

#1 school in the Vail District and the Vail School District is ranked at #1 in Arizona. A+ twice.

Posted September 7, 2011

i attended this school when i young overall it is the best school i have been to the faculty was great the food excelent and the education program was superior than all others i have been to

Posted June 18, 2010

Over-all, I'm very pleased with my child's progress with this school. If I were to offer one suggestion, however, it would be that I'd like to see the teacher to parent communication line a little more, well, 'more'... There are times when I feel a bit out of the loop of what's going on with my child's classes. At my child's previous school, updates on what was going on came home every Monday stating what was on the agenda for the week. And then, every Friday another update came home with a brief overview on how my child did during the week. I really liked that, during the weekend we could review anything that my child may have had trouble with, and start reading about some of the upcoming studies to get a jump-start.

Posted April 26, 2010

I have three children that all attend Mesquite. We have been at this school for five years and we love it! Mesquite is an excelling school and has just received the 2nd A+ rating. Mesquite is the only school to have received it twice... let alone two years in a row!! I would give Mesquite 10 stars if I could!

Posted March 16, 2010

My daughter has attended Mesquite under the 'open enrollment' program for 3 years now. My daughter has some learning challenges and all her teachers have worked with me to make my daughter's learning experience a positive one. I have had very open communication with all 3 of my child's teachers. She currently has Mrs. Hollywood and I could not be more please with her progress! Although our school does several fund raisers a year they all benefit the children and the school. The PTSA at our school is always willing to explain the reason for the fund raiser to anyone who asks. The field trips are not part of the PTSA, but come from the general fund and that has been cut drastically. This is true for all public schools in AZ right now.

Posted January 5, 2010

My child is in the 1st grade. She has had a hard time adjusting to the amount of work and testing this school does. The teachers don't make the parents feel apart of the school. Half way through the year and have not had one program put on by the kids or field trip. But, every week is a new fund raising program going on.

Posted June 4, 2009

I am so happy with my child at Mesquite! My oldest just finished 3rd grade. Ms. Irby is the best teacher I have seen! She builds their self esteem while teaching in a caring productive environment. My daughter cried when the year was over and wanted to stay back to be in her class again. My youngest starts kindergarten there this next year, and I was very impressed with the kindergarten round-up. She was so scared but they made her comfortable and she is actually looking forward to starting school. I would recommend Mesquite to anyone! They run a great school!

Posted April 14, 2009

Excellent school - beyond excellent teachers!

Posted February 21, 2009

Coming from an excelling district and school in Ohio, this district pales in comparison, but I believe it's the best offered in this area. My son strived to be 'average' in OH, but here is all A's and one B. He had required an IEP before, but here, was transitioned out because it was not needed, which I believe is related to the easier curriculum-the challenge is missing. I'm pleased my son is doing well and no longer requires add'l help, but I wonder at what cost. Will he be prepared for the next school? We are military and move frequently, so I am very aware of the potential for difficulties later on. It's not as much about this district or school, but the school system in general in AZ. Overall, the teachers are great and very caring. They encourage parental involvement and are prompt to return messages and address concerns.

Posted May 1, 2006

My son attended the preschool here. The staff is amazing. The amounts of knowledge that he learned while attending was exceptional.

Posted December 22, 2005

Good academics. Developing extracurricular programs. Great parental involvement.

Posted November 22, 2005

My kindergardner and third grader go to this school and I have absolutely loved it. There is a lot of homework given. There is a lot of parent involvement. I am very pleased with the results my children get from this school. I just wish they had uniforms next.

Posted September 19, 2005

Great School! Excellent staff & teachers. My child does real well at this school and my child has an I.E.P. This school follows all its resposibilities and takes learning seriously!

Posted August 13, 2005

Mesquite elem. offers families a wonderful educational experience. There is terrific activities throughout the year. 'Bell to bell' learning is encouraged. We have a 'special needs' son and this school is great about providing him with services. We also love the year-round schedule!

Posted July 5, 2005

I have had 2 children attend this school for two years. I have been extremely pleased with the staff, leadership, and programs. One daughter started here in the preschool program for special needs children. It was a wonderful experience. For kindergarten she had progressed so much that she was discharged from the special needs program. The only thing I would like to see improved is the program for accelerated students. They do have a program, but it is only for a very select few students. My son didn't quite make it into the program. But, he could have benefited from a few extras in another way. This has been an incredible school, and now that we are moving out of state I am having a very hard time finding a school that can even come close to the quality of this one.

Posted August 10, 2003

For 5 years our child has attended Mesquite he has rec'd total encouragement in all aspects of his learning. He has rec'd outstanding guidance and understanding from all of his teachers, and he has continuously been encouraged to recognize the importance of education, self-discipline, hard work and excellence. In the Stanford test he has scored in the top 2 percent nationally in 3 areas and in the top 5 percent in the remainder of the areas he was tested. He is in the 4th grade and has been assessed at reading at the 5.9 grade level. What more can you say?

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 5% 3%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 0%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9455 E. Rita Road