Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

the director is a cluelesss loon who has continually ignored problems complained of with this school

Develops character: Strongly disagree

the school's focus appears to be on making children obediant to their demands

After reading reviews through past years I am even more convinced the the director is a dense imbecile. The same complaints have been made repeatedly from at least as far back as 2009. Only an ignoramous would refuse to take heed to complaints that are raised repeatedly year after year. The end result-- Agree with those recommending to stay away from this school. Bad news. Don't subject your child to this person'.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I would strongly agree, but my perception was that they were afraid to stand up to the school management.

When searching for a school for my kids, we looked at many different schools. Within just a few minutes of observing at the Montessori Schoolhouse kindergarten, my child said "This is where I want to go to school!" The school absolutely cultivates an atmosphere of learning, where kids can enjoy learning without the pressures of "getting it wrong", tests or hours of homework. While I was initially skeptical of this, when I saw that the school was ranked #1 in the entire state in 2014 (among traditional schools) for highest growth of learning and highest test scores, I doubted no more. If the kids can learn that well without tests and homework, then something is being done right! I like that the students are taught how to be independent, managing their own "contract" of different subjects of work to do each day. They also get to participate in chess, yoga and choir; and, they are offered on-site piano or violin lessons. Preschool through upper elementary, my children have loved going to school there. When I asked my child why she liked school, she said "My teachers love me," and my other child noted a love learning new things. There are a few things I would've liked to have seen changed. One is more emphasis on spelling and handwriting as my upper elementary student would commonly misspell simple words. Another is more focus on preschoolers - it seems that whether they're super bright or could be falling behind, not much academic attention is given to them. Additionally, it would have been nice to have more frequent and easier parent-teacher communication. While I'd prefer e-mail, its not an option. If I needed to speak to a teacher, I park the car, walk across the street and try to hunt down the teacher and hope she has a few minutes to spare to talk to me (which she almost always did and was happy to talk). And we've had only very positive experiences with the director, administrative assistant and all the teachers. I also would have liked to have seen more parent involvement (still unsure why we can't have a PTO? We parents would have loved to do nice things for the teachers and the school). In spite of the above, when your child is learning a lot, and feels both loved and excited to go to school - that outweighs the rest, and is a winner in my book. I highly recommend this school!

Develops character: Strongly agree

The students are taught to value one another. I like that.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teachers value the students and vice-versa.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

There is a no-homework policy. I love this! This makes evening family time enjoyable and not stressful. The fact that the students are doing all the work in school and still able to achieve such high test scores and growth of learning (school was ranked #1 in the entire state for this in 2014) tells me they don't need the extra work in order to grasp the concepts!

Both my children attend the Montessori Schoolhouse and our family loves this school and what our children have accomplished. My daughter has had amazing state testing scores the past three years and is a confident test taker. The most valuable thing this school has given my children is confidence; they are both learning important social skills and my daughter is already able to give presentations in front of her peers with ease- a skill that I did not have until college! I am grateful my children attend this school- it is the best thing I ever did for them!

Our daughter attended the school from grades 1-5. If we could have sent her there for middle school as well, believe me, we would have. The habits she learned there have served her beautifully since, and we have wonderful memories of the school. I see that several people have complained about the school being uncommunicative with parents, but that was never our experience. We always found the teachers and director responsive, and the feedback we got at conferences was wonderfully detailed and personal--there was never any doubt they understood our daughter and what made her tick. Five delightful years.

Last modified Montessori Schoolhouse is a Charter school that serves grades 1-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.