Bad
Good

I have both of children at this school. I can not say enough wonderful things about this school. The education and competitiveness is at a high level, but its still fun. We use the before and after school program and have used the summer school and it is wonderful. The kids are so happy! They even have a wonderful 3 year old and preschool program and I can't say enough wonderful things about the teachers, principals, aftercare and parent involvement.

I just had to write another review addressing the other one about the high cost of the before/after school program. Yes, it does seem that there are cheaper programs out there for non-school hours, but I have also tried going the cheaper route. I feel much more comfortable with my daughter's SAFETY at this school than I do at the others that I had tried. They are diligent about knowing where every student is at every minute, and that is VERY important to me (my daughter is a kindergartner). At her old pre-school, she was actually "lost" for a short time, which in my opinion, is simply unacceptable. I do not feel that I will ever have that problem with Soleng Tom.

My kids have gone to Soleng Tom for the last 9 years and there are so many good things about this school. I am so glad that they went to this school-it is one of the best elementary schools in TUSD! They have high test scores, great parent involvement, teachers who want to see your child succeed and a principal who takes an active role of keeping parents informed.

Soleng Tom was a wonderful find for a public school in Tucson. The teachers and principal are very involved and it shows. Just take a walk through the campus and you will see different initiatives and community involvement in project and photos all around. One of the main reasons we decided to stay in Tucson was finding this school for our children!

We moved to Tucson shortly before the new school year started and were in a panic to find a great school for our children to attend. My son has high functioning Autism and is main streamed and our daughter was in preschool. We literally had him on three different wait lists for charter schools that had been recommended to us, as we were very hesitant about putting him in a TUSD school. Very good friends recommended we try to open enroll him into Soleng Tom. I was cautiously optimistic as it was now the week before school was to start, but the office staff was incredibly friendly and warm, the teachers were nothing short of amazing and the school atmosphere was beyond our expectations. It is very much a welcoming school and literally felt like family. My son had Mrs. Knight and Mrs. Valdez and we could not have asked for better teachers for him. We always felt informed, aware and like our involvement was appreciated. It is very nerve wracking sending any child to school and sending our special needs child was no exception. The PTSA was fantastic and although we have since moved cities, we consider Soleng Tom a gem of a school and would highly recommend it.

I truly love Soleng Tom. The students, teachers, and staff are friendly and believe children are the top priority. Mrs. Domec and Mrs. Vuturo are most friendly. Mrs. Richardson, too.

We have been nothing but impressed with Soleng Tom. The staff, teachers and parent commitment is AMAZING! Despite the budget crisis recently, Soleng Tom's PTSA & Staff have stepped it up to continue to provide the BEST for their students by raising funds on their own time & effort. Because of the PTSA, parent support and commitment, Soleng Tom has special touches throughout the school that sets them apart. (ie: covered/shaded playgrounds) Once again, due to the commitment & dedication of the students and parents, the school has "one" major fundraiser throughout the year. The yearly "spell-a-thon" is something everyone looks forward too, and it's quite educational as well, which is refreshing for a fundraiser! The teachers are truly great teachers....we have yet to be disappointed. I never worry about who's class my boys will be in each year as they all are worth having. The principal trusts his veteran staff, and supports them endlessly. We're proud to be Soleng Tom Dragons!

Please consider the cost of after school care at Soleng Tom before you make the decision to take your child/children there. The school charges twice that of any other school in the area for full time after school "enrichment" and a $40.00/day flat rate (even if it's only for 1 hour a day.) There are other schools in this area that offer physical education, language, music, art and AFFORDABLE after school programs. Soleng Tom does not offer ANY of this.

One of the better schools as far as TUSD goes, from what I've been able to gather. But compared to schools outside of Arizona, still a disappointment. I moved here with my 6 year old son over the summer and requested a transfer to Soleng Tom through the TUSD Open Enrollment program. He is gifted by the standards of other schools, but could probably handle being skipped two grades here in Tucson, and I have met with nothing but brick walls trying to get my son into a challenging program. They use buzzwords like "the whole child," and worry about teaching life skills that should be the responsibility of the parent, effectively making me, the parent, responsible for his academic growth. Bottom line, I should have just kept him in our local school for all the difference it has made.

My grand daughter goes to Soleng Tom and we all love it!

Last modified Soleng Tom Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.