Sunrise Drive Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted March 9, 2014

LOVE this school!!! coming from another school, Sunrise has been such a relief because it's very great academically and the kids are happy.

Posted March 9, 2014

The Chinese immersion program is great. This is the best program in Tucson right now for native English speakers to learn Chinese.

Posted February 14, 2014

Sunrise is a great school. My child has had the opportunity for extended learning, where each child is taught at their level in the classroom. My child has the advantage of having physical education, art, music, and Spanish. My child loves that the teachers are caring and I love that the teachers are educated in their fields of study. Even with the transition to a new principal this school continues to excel. My child has attended this school for 3 years and we have had nothing but positive experiences.

Posted February 14, 2014

This school is excellent. My child loves the teachers, the staff, and the after school opportunities.

Posted October 24, 2013

Mrs Bergerson, the 3rd grade teacher does a good job. My son really likes her.

Posted October 24, 2013

The first year of the Chinese Immersion program is going well so far. My son loves the program and is eager to learn more. Hats off to the English and Chinese teachers in First Grade!

Posted June 20, 2013

Have been disappointed by this school. The principal and 16 teachers have left the school this year. What does this say about how it's being run? My son's teacher clearly hated her job and had ridiculously high standards for grading. My child did not enjoy a single day of his year and did not feel encouraged or motivated by the monotonous worksheets requiredevery day. Parents seem to form groups that stick together and do not welcome newcomers. A lot of effort is being put into a Chinese immersion program, when more basic problems need to be addressed.

Posted April 13, 2013

Sunrise Drive has many places to improve. My child was tramatized by one of the teachers. I filed a complaint to the District and never heard a word. The lack of open dialog is disappointing. My child's teacher this year is adequate. She teaches to the middle and has a difficult time reaching children outside the bell shaped curve. The Principal is also more focused on moving on to here new job at a private school than addressing concerns brought to her attention. There are good teachers but my child does not have one this year. Hoping for better leadership next year.

Posted October 15, 2012

Sunrise Drive is a well organized school. The teachers are wonderful and the Principal is outstanding. My daugther is very happy attending this school. She feels that the parents, teachers and students are all very nice. Grade level teachers work well together, they work as a team. This is our third year there and I believe my daughter is receiving an excellent education.

Posted March 31, 2012

This school has been amazing for our son. His teacher wrote us notes, emailed and called us for good and bad behavior or work. Dr. Sherrill, the principal, is involved, caring and really great. The 'specials' are things he comes home and talks about all the time. And we loved the fact that, as new parents to the school, other parents and the FFO really went out of their way to welcome us, find things for us to volunteer at and just make us part of the 'family.' I wish we weren't moving out of state...or that we could take the school with us.

Posted August 23, 2011

Sunrise is a great, family environment with an exceptional principal and teacher pool. All the instruction is individualized, so what my child exceeds in is targeted in his curricula, and what he struggles in is also addressed. I am so impressed, and I've had my children in many different schools in various states. While the funding in AZ is atrocious, you can see where the money is being prioritized and I actually feel like my son is getting a better education here than in some districts back east.

Posted December 21, 2010

We feel so fortunate to be members of the Sunrise Drive community. My children are both thriving and the teachers are exceptional. I love that instruction is individualized and that my children are expected to achieve at their ability level. Although the state funding in AZ is pathetic, the Foothills community supports the schools with bond and capital overrides so the schools are able to have computers, arts, music, etc. Calling the parents and staff racist is ridiculous. My children are mixed race and we have not experienced anything but encouragement for them to share their customs and celebrate diversity. In fact, I am thrilled by the diversity of the school (racial, economic, special needs) and the welcoming and loving atmosphere. Students, staff and parents are expected to be kind and respectful at all times. Parents are encouraged to volunteer. As an active volunteer at this school, I can honestly say that the very few kids I have witnessed not thriving at Sunrise are those who are not able to follow societal rules or function in any setting.

Posted July 19, 2010

African American parents beware! Very racist school. Glorified daycare is what the kindergarten is....Great school for white children, but no place for minorities.....the parents are racist (not all), and so are the staff (not all). If you do not want your child to suffer from low self esteem, and mental issues do not leave your child here....Very happy to be out of there....the after school program is nice though.....The funny thing is that most of the parents that do not live in the area who are from the open enrollment are more snooty than the people that live in the foothills. (very funny). We lived in the area, and they didn't and we were treated like we were on welfare......otherwise....I'd say spend the money on a good private school, or take your child to a school where people of color are treated equally. Good luck!

Posted January 22, 2010

Sunrise Drive is exceptional in so many ways. The public school funding situation in Arizona is appalling, but this school is bursting with gifted and dedicated teachers. The principal, Julie Sherrill, is outstanding and somehow manages to know every student's name. They take wonderful field trips, do amazing art projects and have a gorgeous student garden running along the length of the school. My kids love it here. The posts below mentioning Laurie Patton are right - she is incredible, and she is one of many teachers who really shine.

Posted February 24, 2009

I move my child out of tucson school district and what a difference! The teacher are loving. The kids love the lunches. They have lots of activites. Lots of families that participate. They have extra reading and tutoring. Small classes. Fun school spirit and field trips.

Posted February 24, 2009

My son is graduating this year. He been here since kindergarten. There not one bad teacher. They have extracurriculum activities. The best lunches. Lots of fun activites. They celebrate holidays. My favorite is halloween. Real fun! They have onsite before and after care. Great test scores! They treat your kid as an individual. Free bus service too!

Posted February 23, 2009

I am a little surprised by some of the reviews I have read. I am disappointed in many ways with SDES but mostly with the lack of resources available to the kids and the dated materials they use. The school lunch program is way overpriced and my child comes home starving every day. There is very little communication from my child's teacher and not much comes home in the backpacks. I have yet to see 1 art project from the 2008-2009 school year. Catalina Foothills may have been the best school district in the past, but certainly is not currently the best. I would also warn you if celebrating holidays and important dates are important to your family, consider another school.

Posted February 10, 2009

This is the best school district in tucson. This is coming form someone who moved from anther state and search for the best place to live in this city, and this school district has the best reputation. This particular elemntary school is the best of district 16. If your moving to Tucson, move near this school. They seem to have lots of money from donors to give to students in learning resource such as reading classes and music and sports, science, etc.. Nice big campus with new buildings and playground.

Posted August 22, 2008

Outstanding school in every way. The teachers are all world-class and the parent support is unbelieveable. My kids love it here and I appreciate the time and energy that everyone puts into their education.

Posted August 14, 2008

Very positive principal. Hires truly otstanding teachers. Many nice families who care a lot about their kids' education.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (520) 577-5049

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now