Posted November 06, 2014
Tortolita Middle School is a huge jump of professionalism, friendliness, understanding the kids, and parent -staff communication from the Vail School District where we just transferred from. The principals are more than willing to work with the parents for kids that are doing great to the kids that are struggling. Children are motivated to exceed at their best, yet no child is forgotten and dismissed for not meeting their potential or being what would be considered a difficult child. I am very pleased with the organization, openness, and curriculum for both academic success and social/behavioral success this school offers. I am a parent of 4 from ages 17 to 5 and this middle school age is one of the most difficult; yet the teachers and staff make it appear effortless to assist every child succeed, they truly love being middle school teachers and mentors and it shows.

Tortolita Middle School 4

Posted May 21, 2013
Very pleased with this school's understanding of what middle school kids need. The admin is fantastic and sensitive to the unique needs of this age group. The teachers seem to truly LIKE their students (tough to find in a middle school IMO). Parent involvement is still encouraged and respected at an appropriate level for this age group. I never felt my input or involvement was unwanted or underestimated. One negative is that as a spouse of an educator in the High School this school feeds into, is that students are too easily promoted, without all the tools and preparation necessary for high school. As a parent, I also was surprised how little homework my student had. I don't believe he was challenged to meet his academic potential enough, or held accountable for his slip-ups in his school work. All in all, I feel confident in this school and would send my kids there again, without hesitation. I have always felt that any serious problem I had would be heard and dealt with effectively, which is very reassuring.

Posted January 16, 2013
I have had two students so far go through Tortolita Middle School. My children enjoyed TMS and so did I. I think it is wonderful how they have the teams set-up so that a parent may meet with every one of the teachers at the same time. Ms. Johnson in the front office is wonderful! She always has a smile and greeting no matter how busy it is in the front. She is a wiz at remembering names, so it is a personalized greeting! My children's teachers and the staff at TMS are so caring and work together with the parent to address any issues. Wonderful school...I have one more student who will be attending and she can't wait.

Posted January 04, 2012
I am a student and i am a straight A student. There are only a couple of DECENT teachers and the rest are horrible and dont even care. They are un organized and lose homework often. There is too much bullying and they make the bully apoligize to their "victim" right infront of eachother in a room. They dont offer a lot of activites or sports. They dont spend money well on the school. They spend it on like doors and gates. They only offer math that is two years ahead of what is normal in MUSD. The GEM program is very bad to. It is just Enriched Language Arts and that teacher is HORRIBLE. I dont want to say too much, but dont send your kid to this school!

Posted November 16, 2011
If your a bully then welcome home to tortolita, cause they will not punish you at all and you can find out whos telling on you cause they'll sit you guys in same room for the apolagies to be said. My child was bullied at Ironwood Elementary and then here, different kids even. I will not trust another MUSD with my children. Bullies need be locked up and kept from our schools.

Posted May 05, 2011
I agree bullying is a big problem at this school, they made my daughter have to sit in same room with the kid who was bulling her, and made the bully apolagize, then of course she became bullied way more after.

Tortolita Middle School 2

Posted May 04, 2011
Bullying is a big problem at this school. I am looking for another school for my child. Music program is great though.

Posted June 27, 2009
this is an amazing school. they are always on task and always is calm cool and collective. i love this schol and will recomend this to all of the parents who are fueding about which school their child should go to. go tortolita COUGARS!!!!!

Posted May 13, 2009
I love this school because it feels homey and it is a comfortable enviroment to learn

Tortolita Middle School 2

Posted September 30, 2008
All around I was never impressed with Tortolita. The principal is decent, however only a few of the teachers here are decent. About a third of the teachers being new seems to be the norm per year. Many have the 'I don't care' type of attitude, or are at least too busy for basic communication between students and parents about progress. There are few extra activies, usually two or three sports per quarter, not much else. The school is a bit rowdy at times, but so are all middle schools of its size.

Tortolita Middle School
4101 W. Hardy Rd, Tucson, AZ  85742
Last modified Tortolita Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Tortolita Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top