Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Tortolita Middle School
Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted March 24, 2016
The kids have a whole period designated to making up class work or homework instead of learning or having programs. My kids think it's a joke and a waste of time. I agree. The homework load is also very light. Your kid will really only have math and maybe lit. every now and then my child gets social studies but the school is designed to crest unsuccessful students. Maybe if they had a little more homework the children would get in a little less trouble.

Posted March 24, 2016
Welcome to a no back pack school because the kids cannot stop bringing drugs and weapons to school. It is very well known by all the local police departments and probation officers alike. The kids call it "Torturelita" for good reasons, the school is surrounded by bars providing a homely prison environment experience. The kids here think partying is more important and why not? The school has no funding and is constantly ending programs. MUSD has too many flaws to count. The highlight of my child's day is talking about the fights and who got in trouble. You wouldn't think the area the school is located in would be so troublesome but, IT IS!!! My mistake was moving my children to this school. I cannot take back time but, I can make a better and informed decision than I did previously. The staff at the school just collects a paycheck and sits back, what else can they do? They stopped caring and the parents of the children do not care either. Good luck if you have children about to go to this school.

Posted November 06, 2014
Tortolita Middle School is a huge jump of professionalism, friendliness, understanding the kids, and parent -staff communication from the Vail School District where we just transferred from. The principals are more than willing to work with the parents for kids that are doing great to the kids that are struggling. Children are motivated to exceed at their best, yet no child is forgotten and dismissed for not meeting their potential or being what would be considered a difficult child. I am very pleased with the organization, openness, and curriculum for both academic success and social/behavioral success this school offers. I am a parent of 4 from ages 17 to 5 and this middle school age is one of the most difficult; yet the teachers and staff make it appear effortless to assist every child succeed, they truly love being middle school teachers and mentors and it shows.

Tortolita Middle School 4

Posted May 21, 2013
Very pleased with this school's understanding of what middle school kids need. The admin is fantastic and sensitive to the unique needs of this age group. The teachers seem to truly LIKE their students (tough to find in a middle school IMO). Parent involvement is still encouraged and respected at an appropriate level for this age group. I never felt my input or involvement was unwanted or underestimated. One negative is that as a spouse of an educator in the High School this school feeds into, is that students are too easily promoted, without all the tools and preparation necessary for high school. As a parent, I also was surprised how little homework my student had. I don't believe he was challenged to meet his academic potential enough, or held accountable for his slip-ups in his school work. All in all, I feel confident in this school and would send my kids there again, without hesitation. I have always felt that any serious problem I had would be heard and dealt with effectively, which is very reassuring.

Posted January 16, 2013
I have had two students so far go through Tortolita Middle School. My children enjoyed TMS and so did I. I think it is wonderful how they have the teams set-up so that a parent may meet with every one of the teachers at the same time. Ms. Johnson in the front office is wonderful! She always has a smile and greeting no matter how busy it is in the front. She is a wiz at remembering names, so it is a personalized greeting! My children's teachers and the staff at TMS are so caring and work together with the parent to address any issues. Wonderful school...I have one more student who will be attending and she can't wait.

Posted January 04, 2012
I am a student and i am a straight A student. There are only a couple of DECENT teachers and the rest are horrible and dont even care. They are un organized and lose homework often. There is too much bullying and they make the bully apoligize to their "victim" right infront of eachother in a room. They dont offer a lot of activites or sports. They dont spend money well on the school. They spend it on like doors and gates. They only offer math that is two years ahead of what is normal in MUSD. The GEM program is very bad to. It is just Enriched Language Arts and that teacher is HORRIBLE. I dont want to say too much, but dont send your kid to this school!

Posted November 16, 2011
If your a bully then welcome home to tortolita, cause they will not punish you at all and you can find out whos telling on you cause they'll sit you guys in same room for the apolagies to be said. My child was bullied at Ironwood Elementary and then here, different kids even. I will not trust another MUSD with my children. Bullies need be locked up and kept from our schools.

Posted May 05, 2011
I agree bullying is a big problem at this school, they made my daughter have to sit in same room with the kid who was bulling her, and made the bully apolagize, then of course she became bullied way more after.

Tortolita Middle School 2

Posted May 04, 2011
Bullying is a big problem at this school. I am looking for another school for my child. Music program is great though.

Posted June 27, 2009
this is an amazing school. they are always on task and always is calm cool and collective. i love this schol and will recomend this to all of the parents who are fueding about which school their child should go to. go tortolita COUGARS!!!!!

Tortolita Middle School
4101 West Hardy Rd, Tucson, AZ  85742
Last modified Tortolita Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.