Bad
Good

After reading all the reviews about Townsend I'm kind of shocked by the negative aspects I've read. I attended Townsend many, many years ago when it was only a junior high with just 7 & 8th grades. (no uniforms either). Back then it was probably rated as one of the best junior highs around Tucson. So sad to see the slide downwards. Perhaps the city should re-establish a few more elementary schools and perhaps another middle or junior high, do away with uniforms and higher teachers that are dedicated to helping students learn and not so concerned about making money. I have fond memories and liked all my teachers, even if I myself was a mediocre student.

Thank God, Townsend had a new administrator. I hope he is a leader who cares, and believes in treating students with respect. Before, he arrived I feared some students were being prepared to enter the criminal justice system.

I was a student that attended Townsend 2 years ago, when it was only middle school. I attended it for all 3 years. I had no problems making friends, in fact I felt like my whole class was some sort of family. We all got along really well and cared for eachother. But the teachers we're okay. If they weren't busy yelling at us, they we're busy talking about something other than the subject we were learning. But as far as I'm concerened I still learned all I needed to learn for the next years. People talking down on this school have no idea what it's really like to go there. Ask a kid who stayed there all 3 years as well, I bet they would say they enjoyed it as well. Yeah, we might have a high trouble maker rate, but we're just kids. Get over yourselves. And as far as uniforms go, I don't know about others but it sure made my mornings better by already knowing what I had to wear.

My son attended this school. Everything at this school is polar. Either amazing or horrible. ie: 6th grade teachers - amazing - 8th grade teachers horrible out with all the 8th grade core teachers! English language program - wonderful, student uniforms horrible. uniforms are a nice idea, but they causes more problems than it is worth. Some of the outstanding things the school has to offer started out great and soon are dwendling due to lack of support. If your child still attends this school, maybe it is time you contacted the teachers and see how you can help make it better. The school always has opportunities for parents to volunteer fundraising, help with Amazing sports partipate in cultural events, or maybe even donate a few supplies. I was sad that I donated so many supplies and it seems like I was the only one. This school needs strong parent leaders to get in there and make sure their kids are being taught right - don't be snowed by the teachers find out for yourself. It is fixable. Korean language and culture classes (NICE), and they also have an exchange program with S. Korea. Needs a leader that will put the hammer down and bad teachers out so the good ones can work.

This school is not school its military camp! What ever you do DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL! All the staff members are to busy to answer the simple questions but oh god if your child does not have his shirt tucked in he's in TALL(Townsend Alternative Learning Lab)REPEAT DO NOT SEND YOUR KID TO THIS SCHOOL!

I went to townsend for all three years of middle school. Personally, i hated it, i hate it with all my heart. Most of the teachers are bitter and not helpful. The uniforms don't help their look either.

I am a student and I personally like this school because of the freindly staff and environment.I spent my first year as a 6th grader there and, of coarse i had a few problems with making freinds and being bullied a bit but everyone does ocasionally...I am now going into 7th grade and am very excited to see all my freinds and teachers from last year!

My son hads been in this school since 6th grade and he has been push to do his best. I am sorry to hear that my son won't be able to go next year for 8th, because Townsend will be all 6th grade only.

Do not send your kids to Townsend. Both administration and teachers are overwhelmed, school is understaffed, and and challenging curriculum is lacking. Some of their best teachers have disappeared. My daughter lasted one semester, and then we were gone, on to a better school. Not great dialogue between parents and school leaders, busy making careers not kids.

My daughter entered Townsend as a new 6th grader from out of the area. Principal Ms Barbara Kohl made a special point to be friendly, welcoming, and quickly recognized and assisted us in getting my daughter into the high-performing 'House' program, where my daughter has adjusted and made friends. Unfortuneately, TUSD wants to make Townsend all 6th-grade starting the 2010-2011 school year so my daughter, Ms, Kohl, and the House program are getting the rug jerked out from under. I'm told the 7th-8th graders will be sent to Doolen, where they do have a GATE program for high-achievers, but it's apparently a pretty grim environment. I'm trying to transfer my daughter to Dodge....

Last modified Townsend Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8