Tucson, AZ

Posted June 05, 2014
After reading all the reviews about Townsend I'm kind of shocked by the negative aspects I've read. I attended Townsend many, many years ago when it was only a junior high with just 7 & 8th grades. (no uniforms either). Back then it was probably rated as one of the best junior highs around Tucson. So sad to see the slide downwards. Perhaps the city should re-establish a few more elementary schools and perhaps another middle or junior high, do away with uniforms and higher teachers that are dedicated to helping students learn and not so concerned about making money. I have fond memories and liked all my teachers, even if I myself was a mediocre student.

Posted January 25, 2012
Thank God, Townsend had a new administrator. I hope he is a leader who cares, and believes in treating students with respect. Before, he arrived I feared some students were being prepared to enter the criminal justice system.

Posted January 24, 2012
I was a student that attended Townsend 2 years ago, when it was only middle school. I attended it for all 3 years. I had no problems making friends, in fact I felt like my whole class was some sort of family. We all got along really well and cared for eachother. But the teachers we're okay. If they weren't busy yelling at us, they we're busy talking about something other than the subject we were learning. But as far as I'm concerened I still learned all I needed to learn for the next years. People talking down on this school have no idea what it's really like to go there. Ask a kid who stayed there all 3 years as well, I bet they would say they enjoyed it as well. Yeah, we might have a high trouble maker rate, but we're just kids. Get over yourselves. And as far as uniforms go, I don't know about others but it sure made my mornings better by already knowing what I had to wear.

Posted April 17, 2011
My son attended this school. Everything at this school is polar. Either amazing or horrible. ie: 6th grade teachers - amazing - 8th grade teachers horrible out with all the 8th grade core teachers! English language program - wonderful, student uniforms horrible. uniforms are a nice idea, but they causes more problems than it is worth. Some of the outstanding things the school has to offer started out great and soon are dwendling due to lack of support. If your child still attends this school, maybe it is time you contacted the teachers and see how you can help make it better. The school always has opportunities for parents to volunteer fundraising, help with Amazing sports partipate in cultural events, or maybe even donate a few supplies. I was sad that I donated so many supplies and it seems like I was the only one. This school needs strong parent leaders to get in there and make sure their kids are being taught right - don't be snowed by the teachers find out for yourself. It is fixable. Korean language and culture classes (NICE), and they also have an exchange program with S. Korea. Needs a leader that will put the hammer down and bad teachers out so the good ones can work.

Townsend Middle School 2

Posted July 14, 2010
This school is not school its military camp! What ever you do DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL! All the staff members are to busy to answer the simple questions but oh god if your child does not have his shirt tucked in he's in TALL(Townsend Alternative Learning Lab)REPEAT DO NOT SEND YOUR KID TO THIS SCHOOL!

Townsend Middle School 0

Posted March 03, 2010
I went to townsend for all three years of middle school. Personally, i hated it, i hate it with all my heart. Most of the teachers are bitter and not helpful. The uniforms don't help their look either.

Townsend Middle School 5

Posted January 31, 2010

Posted August 01, 2009
I am a student and I personally like this school because of the freindly staff and environment.I spent my first year as a 6th grader there and, of coarse i had a few problems with making freinds and being bullied a bit but everyone does ocasionally...I am now going into 7th grade and am very excited to see all my freinds and teachers from last year!

Posted March 16, 2009
My son hads been in this school since 6th grade and he has been push to do his best. I am sorry to hear that my son won't be able to go next year for 8th, because Townsend will be all 6th grade only.

Townsend Middle School 0

Posted February 28, 2009
Do not send your kids to Townsend. Both administration and teachers are overwhelmed, school is understaffed, and and challenging curriculum is lacking. Some of their best teachers have disappeared. My daughter lasted one semester, and then we were gone, on to a better school. Not great dialogue between parents and school leaders, busy making careers not kids.

Townsend Middle School