Tucson, AZ

Posted April 03, 2015
This school is horrendous. The beginning ELD is 8 students; they take 2 different 2 hour classes together. These kids have been in the USA an entire academic year and they literally know NO English.. I asked them "Where are you from?" and got "I of am Sonora". They couldn't repeat "I...am..from.. Sonora"--even after several attempts. I covered a math class; the other math teacher and I both had first period planning, so I asked her how to do a problem. She could not; I figured it out faster than she did-- and I have no background in math! It's a fine arts magnet school but they have had endless dance teachers come and go--there's not one at all at the moment. They can't get substitute teachers-- hall monitors literally congratulated me for making it through two whole days!-- and yet they don't take care of subs. They don't give substitute teachers room keys or bathroom keys (perhaps they aren't willing to trust anyone that isn't known there with keys, because the neighborhood is incredibly dangerous). I didn't have an id badge or a bell schedule and in one math section the work required calculators but no one could tell me where they were.

Posted March 14, 2015
I am so impressed with the way this school has been cleaned up. The campus is now a great environment for kids to learn. The students here seem so inspired. Great job!

Posted October 28, 2014
So far I rate quarterback 2 due to the fact that my son was stabbed with a pencil by another student and was told oh,your a boy you'll be fine here's a bandaid.didn't get sent to a nurse or anything!! Then when he was getting bullied he defends himself finally and he gets suspended for nine days,without even an investigation!!

Posted September 15, 2014
This is a horrible school! Most of the staff are bullies they don't care about the students. They are quick to blame the kids for anything but take no responsibility for their actions. They don't have many permanent teachers. And they don't even have a GATE program.

Posted October 02, 2013
my school is a graet place peeeps my say its horrible place but its better than some others i can name

Utterback Middle School 4

Posted September 04, 2013
I really love Utterback & the performing arts and dance is awesome and the academics are pretty good! Something I would definitely improve is the principal. She is hardly ever spending time getting to know students at all. The vice principal is more involved and seems like she is more of a principal. My daughter started there and she barely met the principal a month after she began. The principal also is very unprofessional when it comes to appearance. She dresses way too causal as if she was going to run errands during a weekend. The school is great but that principal needs to go.

Posted May 16, 2013
Unfortunately, the 8th grade class this year, will not be ready for high school. Poor leadership, and lack of effective teaching greatly contributed to Utterbacks D rating. The performing arts program is adequate, but the academics fall far below what is expected from any middle school. The school needs much improvement. The district really needs to change the principal if they have any hope of helping the incoming students.

Utterback Middle School 2

Posted February 14, 2012
Utterback has some fantastic teachers but the new principal needs some serious help! The previous principal retired after 29 years at Utterback and the school has gone down hill. This is my child's second year at Utterback and so far has had to deal with bullying by not only the students but the teachers as well. Academic wise..yes, they are struggling but i do believe that the teachers really stress the importance of learning in a group setting instead of individual learning. The amount of math omework given is outrageous probably due to the fact that they are failing in the Math scores. I am not sure if will send my child back for 8th grade due to the strong fact that he does not feel safe at Utterback. The school is in a very bad neighborhood infested with known gang crime and the neighborhood kids go to that school. That said, if a "clean up" were to take place, Utterback would be thriving and vibrant once again but alot of work needs to done and i hope it is!!

Posted July 19, 2011
I completed my student teaching at Utterback. I was thoroughly impressed by the collaboration between teachers and the high caliber of projects students were producing. I enjoyed the diversity. The project based learning helped the students develop problem solving skills, learn to work together in a team, and use their creativity. There is a lot of emphasis on multiple intelligences, so each student is able to learn in the way that works best for them. The band program is amazing!

Posted March 03, 2011
Utterback Is A Wonderful School ! Yeahh Every School Has Mean Teachers And Mean Principals Its Just The Life Of School There Isnt One Pefect And Nice School,, But Utterback Is Really Dope ! Like It Is A Fun And Interesting School , I Can Count On This School Because Its The Bombest School Ever ! Dont Ever Say That Utterbacks Dumb Or Utterback Is This Or That Because Literaly Every School Is The Same Yeahh Utterback Can Be Annoying By The Teachers And Stuff But Their Just Doing There Jobb ! And No One Can Judge A School By How They Act ! Its Just School And Your Gonna Have A Tougher Life And School As You Get Older So Yupp Thankss ! :D

Utterback Middle School
3233 S. Pinal Vista, Tucson, AZ  85713
Last modified Utterback Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Utterback Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top