Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My daughter is graduating this year and has attended VAHS for 3 years. I have nothing but positive things to say about the school. The teachers and staff are very caring and the safe, family atmosphere is evident from the minute you arrive on campus. The on-line homework assignments (Moodle) and on-line grade book (Power School) allow you to keep on top of everything. Teachers are responsive and willing to help students succeed.

I'm reading the reviews below - "the work load is very hard", "my kid was an honor student in elementary school" ...these reviews are the reason why your children are not excelling. It would be like me whining about my boss because my job was too hard. We are trying to raise functioning members of society, not self entitled babies. Are you going on their job interviews with them as adults and then going to complain when they don't get the job. Vail Academy is not easy. The teachers challenge the students every day. If my children get a bad grade, the majority of the time, it was their fault. They have been going to Vail Academy since it's inception. I look forward to them graduating from this amazing school!

The work load is very hard, I notice the kids who are friends with the teachers are held to a different standard than the students who have not befriended anyone. Our children both were so depressed that we had to get counseling during the school year. My wife and I were very unhappy, this is the worst school we have ever encountered in the Tucson and Vail school districts we have attended. We are looking forward to the new school year at another high school, the depression we went through was like a huge weight crushing our family and I can't tell you how much better we feel anticipating the new school!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

We went to Empire, we felt 4 to 6 hours of homework every evening was out of hand. If the kids were late the teachers often refused to take the work at all and their grades were going way down.

Both of my kids have really loved this school. At first, my older one did not care for it only because she came from another gigantic elementary school. Once she started to make some friends and started seeing the school, staff, and teachers recognize her for her achievements, when asked if she would like to go to another school, she stated firmly, NO. Same response with my younger one. This school does make you feel like part of their family. I've seen new kids come and go, probably a big transition since this school is not only a charter school, it's small and in the Vail School district. So yes, there is a higher standard here than most schools in southern Arizona. All the teachers my kids have had have been responsive whenever I contact by email or speak face to face. They have really worked with me whenever there are challenging times when my kid(s) have had a hard time with any subject. This school is very much digital, so both kids and parents need to be pretty comfortable with using computers to help their kids succeed. It's a huge adjustment because of moodle online where homework is posted and grades and attendance posted on powerschool online & by email.

Very elitist probably great if your child attends their middle school and elementary but we were coming in from another school and they seemed to want my child to not excel. My child was an honor student and we went in looking for a school that could help prepare for college but from day one she couldn't get the classes she wanted which curbed her enthusiasm. Mid Term grades were just so-so and I wasn't pleased but because she wasn't failing they didn't seem that interested in helping us. She went for tutoring and did extra credit work but now at the end of the semester her grades are still a c average and when I tried to contact the teachers they said she just had trouble adapting to their system which is new for her and couldn't (or wouldn't) help! Other kids that were their 'Favorites' (read in their system from the start) got a grades without doing as much work as my daughter! We feel like this entire year was wasted and will be leaving. I could only recommend this school if you start your child out there from the beginning. If not they seem pretty happy using your a student to flesh out the middle of the class so their favorites look all the better. Very very poor experience

We have had nothing but problems with this school. Our child was a superb student in Middle and Elementary schools and was at the Top of his Class, but did not excel here in fact the work load was difficult enough to drop him to a low C average. Some of the teachers do not update his on-line grades and assignment reports with regularity so it has been very difficult for us to stay on top of his sliding grades. I believe we need to look elsewhere and unless you want a lot of stress heaped on your child I'd recommend any other option you could find. Thanks

I am a teacher at Vail Academy and High School, and I am also retired from the Air Force. I know how hard it is to find a good school when one is moving to another state. I highly recommend Vail Academy and High School because the school is safe, has a positive environment, and the teachers go above and beyond to help students. The class sizes are small, and the teachers get to know the students well. The teachers are highly qualified, and they provide a rigorous curriculum that is meant to prepare students to succeed after they graduate from high school. Both of my children attend this school, and they love it. The school welcomes visitors who are "shopping" for a great school; this is a great way to find out if the school is a great fit for your child.

Vail Academy and High School has worked out great for both of my children. One is in middle school and the other one is in high school. Both of them are getting a great education, and although the classes are challening, the teachers really help the students succeed. The school also provides many extracurricular activities (Student Council, NHS, FBLA, Runners Club, Drama Club, Science Club, Robotics, etc.), and family-oriented events. The small environment allows my children to feel safe and welcome. My children are very happy at this school, and so am I.

VHS is amazing school with amazing staff. I have learned so much just with the first quarter of being here. I am sadly moving away over break, not bye choice but because of family. Overall i had an amazing time at this school and think that anyone to choose this school would too. Yes the curriculum is a little bit higher i think; but that's better

Last modified Vail Academy & High School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.