Public charter
Tucson, AZ

Posted September 19, 2014
Both of my kids have really loved this school. At first, my older one did not care for it only because she came from another gigantic elementary school. Once she started to make some friends and started seeing the school, staff, and teachers recognize her for her achievements, when asked if she would like to go to another school, she stated firmly, NO. Same response with my younger one. This school does make you feel like part of their family. I've seen new kids come and go, probably a big transition since this school is not only a charter school, it's small and in the Vail School district. So yes, there is a higher standard here than most schools in southern Arizona. All the teachers my kids have had have been responsive whenever I contact by email or speak face to face. They have really worked with me whenever there are challenging times when my kid(s) have had a hard time with any subject. This school is very much digital, so both kids and parents need to be pretty comfortable with using computers to help their kids succeed. It's a huge adjustment because of moodle online where homework is posted and grades and attendance posted on powerschool online & by email.

Posted May 16, 2014
Very elitist probably great if your child attends their middle school and elementary but we were coming in from another school and they seemed to want my child to not excel. My child was an honor student and we went in looking for a school that could help prepare for college but from day one she couldn't get the classes she wanted which curbed her enthusiasm. Mid Term grades were just so-so and I wasn't pleased but because she wasn't failing they didn't seem that interested in helping us. She went for tutoring and did extra credit work but now at the end of the semester her grades are still a c average and when I tried to contact the teachers they said she just had trouble adapting to their system which is new for her and couldn't (or wouldn't) help! Other kids that were their 'Favorites' (read in their system from the start) got a grades without doing as much work as my daughter! We feel like this entire year was wasted and will be leaving. I could only recommend this school if you start your child out there from the beginning. If not they seem pretty happy using your a student to flesh out the middle of the class so their favorites look all the better. Very very poor experience

Posted May 15, 2014
We have had nothing but problems with this school. Our child was a superb student in Middle and Elementary schools and was at the Top of his Class, but did not excel here in fact the work load was difficult enough to drop him to a low C average. Some of the teachers do not update his on-line grades and assignment reports with regularity so it has been very difficult for us to stay on top of his sliding grades. I believe we need to look elsewhere and unless you want a lot of stress heaped on your child I'd recommend any other option you could find. Thanks

Posted April 30, 2013
I am a teacher at Vail Academy and High School, and I am also retired from the Air Force. I know how hard it is to find a good school when one is moving to another state. I highly recommend Vail Academy and High School because the school is safe, has a positive environment, and the teachers go above and beyond to help students. The class sizes are small, and the teachers get to know the students well. The teachers are highly qualified, and they provide a rigorous curriculum that is meant to prepare students to succeed after they graduate from high school. Both of my children attend this school, and they love it. The school welcomes visitors who are "shopping" for a great school; this is a great way to find out if the school is a great fit for your child.

Posted April 30, 2013
Vail Academy and High School has worked out great for both of my children. One is in middle school and the other one is in high school. Both of them are getting a great education, and although the classes are challening, the teachers really help the students succeed. The school also provides many extracurricular activities (Student Council, NHS, FBLA, Runners Club, Drama Club, Science Club, Robotics, etc.), and family-oriented events. The small environment allows my children to feel safe and welcome. My children are very happy at this school, and so am I.

Posted September 25, 2009
VHS is amazing school with amazing staff. I have learned so much just with the first quarter of being here. I am sadly moving away over break, not bye choice but because of family. Overall i had an amazing time at this school and think that anyone to choose this school would too. Yes the curriculum is a little bit higher i think; but that's better

Posted October 20, 2008
I love this school. I have gone here for 3 years now and I have seen my grades improve and go from a 1.5 to a 3.5. Its been a hard climb, but I have enjoyed it. The staff is wonderful and knows you by name, unlike the other schools, where you're not noticed unless you play a sport.

Posted April 18, 2008
I'm a former student at this high school. I attended classes there between 2000 and 2002, and after a year at the 'other school', went back to VHS for my senior year, and graduated at 2004. I admit, I, like so many others who attended the school, didn't think very highly of it at first. However, the small environment made it easier to get to know the teachers, which made it easier to work with them and them with you. This small environment also allowed me to make close friends with other students, and to this day my friendships with them are still standing strong, even after I joined the Air Force and got stationed 1500 miles away and some of them are married and have children, etc. I highly recommend this school to any parent who feels threatened by traditional high schools.

Posted October 07, 2007
I do not believe that vail high school is a good school. The current principal and vice principal I believe are terrible at their job. The vice principal is very judgemental and rude.The teacher's and staff there favor the kids that are very smart and have great academic achievement. the teacher's tend to have manydifferent rules and a couple of them act as if they are teenagers themselves. Many of them are unprepared and i dont believe they are fit teachers. I am a senior at vail high school and plan to leave as soon as possible. I dont believe that this is a good school for kids who are not very much above academic average and even then they will have a hard time with other students and some teachers who act as if they are children.

Vail Academy & High School 2

Posted March 09, 2006

Vail Academy & High School
9040 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ  85747
(520) 879-2000
Last modified Vail Academy & High School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vail Academy & High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top