Tucson, AZ

Posted April 23, 2014
Kino School is truly where learning and life are one. You won't find the Common Core here. You will find an environment where each student is recognized as a unique individual and the teachers truly know each student. I have a son in high school and when I asked him why he was spending so much time on his lessons in one of his classes, he explained to me that he could quickly do the lessons and turn them in but he was really wanting to learn the material. He also said that he could just go to traditional school if all he was supposed to do is turn in homework without even learning it. Kino School facilitates his learning..encouraging him to think for himself, guiding him in the best way that works for his learning style. Kino doesn't give letter grades because they understand that you can't put a magical letter grade on learning. My son writes course evaluations for each credit he earns. When a college admissions office reads them, they will definitely have true insight into what my son knows.

Posted April 23, 2014
A lovely progressive private school. Beautiful desert campus with animals, greenhouses, desert plants. Caring and inspiring teachers. Child-directed learning. Music, art, science, literature, welding, social studies, mathematics, weekly field trips. K-12 - small classes. Everyone knows one another and works together.

Posted January 11, 2014
Kino School is a progressive education environment. It is not traditional public education. There is flexibility in courses based on each individual ability - not by some magic age/grade level. There is time to go out and play. There are many, many field trips. There is weekly community service projects. There are no grades. In high school, students are required to take the same core courses traditional school students take to be ready for college. While there is no "AP" label, students choose to do extra work in courses to challenge and explore beyond the course offerings. Students are active participants in their learning. And they do learn, not just memorize for test taking. It's difficult and perhaps impossible for some parents/students to consider Kino School as an educational alternative because they're unable to break free from what our society perceives as the way education works. But those who do, will discover Kino School is where students are free to explore what truly interest them and to flourish in that knowledge.

Kino Learning Center 1

Posted January 02, 2014
i was a student at kino for 2 1/2 years i had a good first year though the only thing i learned was a tiny bit of math and some cool science things i also got bullied a lot my second year i got bullied even more and when i told the staff they called me a drama queen and i learned little to nothing the next year i started off hope full but the year started off with my piers calling me names and the staff accused me of lying when ever i told them something that someone did to me or said to me i left half way through the year and had to transfer to pubic school the staff made up a lot about me in my "transcripts" calling me a liar and then when my psychologist at the public school asked for my IEP they claimed they didn't have it jeopardized my education

Posted August 21, 2013
Kino school has everything a parent needs to bring a successful adult into the world: work ethic, passion for learning, and realistic discipline.

Kino Learning Center 4

Posted July 23, 2013
My child has gone to Kino from 1st-4th grade and will be starting 5th. It has been an overall great experience. And like any school, there are bumps and things that are not perfect - but we have always been able to work with the teachers and staff to put things 'right'. It it was not for Kino, I don't know where I'd feel good about putting my child. Progressive education has a lot to offer but it is an environment unlike a typical school setting. Everyone adjusts to it a their own pace, and then one day you see just how much your child has expended their world. As a parent, I would also advocate learning about progressive education and being involved.

Posted July 14, 2013
I feel this school was designed for my daughter. She had previously been in a small charter school through 4th grade and it took me some time to adjust to the independence she was given at Kino. The school emphasizes personal responsibility, community building and integrity and I have seen how these have nurtured the independent learner in my daughter. Instead of outside mandates dictating what and at what level she should be learning, she follows her interests, pushes herself to improve, sets and accomplishes her own goals. As a 7th grader she was able to attend high school level classes in areas where she excels. She is learning information, but more than that she is gaining the skills needed to organize her time, set her priorities, keep her commitments and be part of a larger community. These are important not only for continued success in school but also for life. She is excited about her classes and teachers, looks forward to school each day and has made life-long friends.

Kino Learning Center 1

Posted April 28, 2013
Kino uses narrative transcripts rather than letter grades. When I asked questions, complained, and eventually withdrew my children, Kino punished my children by writing untrue things about them in their transcripts. The new wanted to place my children in lower classes than they belonged in because of the horrid and untrue statements made by Kino teachers.

Posted April 03, 2013
I went to Kino for three years through high school, after transferring from public school. It was a wonderful experience and a wonderful, caring environment.

Kino Learning Center 4

Posted March 28, 2013
My child came to Kino School believing the she didn't fit in anywhere. Kino welcomed her and provided a safe, caring environment where she could begin to believe in herself again and learn to succeed. As a result, she has moved forward with the confidence of her convictions and is living a happy, productive life.

Kino Learning Center