No rating

Tucson Hebrew Academy

Private | K-8

Living in Tucson

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $342,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted June 9, 2014

After briefly attending public school and being unsatisfied with the standardized testing approach, we entered THA. I have been thrilled with every aspect of this school. My child loves attending THA. He has had an excellent academic and social experience. My son is highly gifted in math, and has been challenged but not stressed by his teachers. Class size is amazing, and the whole school feels like one big family. There is a lot of music and PE twice a week. The lunch food is delicious - my son loves it!

Posted February 14, 2014

This is our first year at THA and my children just love it. The teachers are all wonderful and we love the small class sizes. They are getting a quality education and plan to keep them there for many years to come.

Posted January 9, 2014

The low ratings of the last few reviews posted here concern me, because while those parents' concerns and stories are legitimate, overall, I sense that most students at THA are having a very POSITIVE time and most parents are really quite happy with the education and experience their children are receiving. THA offers some wonderfully unique things -- an intimate, small class size and small school environment in Lower and Middle, and strong secular and Jewish education. The student body is diverse, drawing from all walks of Jewish life. Overall, the teachers are excellent and enthusiastic. Parents should consider THA if they're not getting what they need from other schools -- they may be pleasantly surprised.

Posted October 29, 2013

My experience is this school cares more about funding than the actual student body, unless you are a large donor. The parents are very clique focused, and there is a strong message to fall in line. Heavily academic, which is not a bad thing, but not for everyone. Great cafeteria and nice holiday celebrations. Our experience is that they just did not care about our child's personal growth, more about keeping up appearances. Vote of No Confidence for head of lower grade.

Posted December 3, 2012

The school has fantastic teachers but unfortunately the administration and board of directors are uneducated about bullying which has resulted in a lack of proactive and serious measures to combat it when it does occur. The school needs a serious overhaul of it's bullying "policy" and perhaps some changes in leadership including the Board of Directors.

Posted February 16, 2012

I have both recent experience with this school as well as over a decade experience. My stepdaughter attended from first grade through 6th. After transferring to another school out of state, she had to a hours and hours of tutoring, even for Hebrew. Additionally, my youngest daughters transferred to this school from another private Hebrew day school in another state. My kids were advanced in all areas and the teachers admitted that they were more advanced. I was very concerned but valued the religious aspects of the school. I regret that decision. I pray that my children can catch up. Also, why cannot I not find the AIMS scores for this school? I ask when my kids attended last fall but never received them. The other school printed copies and provided to all parents as well as the public- of course, that school was in the top 1% of the state. Bet money, THA does rank so well.

Posted January 20, 2012

I have had no issues at all with bullying, and was surprised to hear about it. By daughter has never felt more safe and supported. Perhaps because we came from public school to private, we do not view the conflicts we see as "bullying,' by comparison. We therefore reacted with less concern. I think our reactions have a huge impact. We used to overreact. Now, we trust our daughter's skills, and have therefore instilled more confidence in my daughter to handle her own conflicts, rather than perhaps imposing our own fears upon her, and creating more of a problem than actually existed. All I can say is that it gets easier as they get older to trust they can handle the complexities of social interactions and development, and don't need us so much anymore.

Posted January 5, 2010

This is my first year as a THA parent and over all the school has exceeded every expectation I had. One thing that sticks out is the emphasis on individual achievement expected on each child. Coming from a public school this was a blessing to see. I would not hesitate recommending THA to my friends, co-workers or anyone looking for a great educational experience.

Posted September 12, 2009

I taught in the public school system for 30 years and became very disillusioned with the low priority placed on children. We moved our son to THA last year and have been so pleased with his education. He is challenged and nutured.

Posted September 11, 2009

We have been very pleased with the education our 3rd and 6th grade daughters have been receiving at THA. With the small class sizes, I feel that the teachers really get to know our kids and give them extra attention when it is needed. The discussions that we have at the dinner table with our daughters show us how much they are learning at school. They are not just memorizing information to be spit back out for tests, but are learning to think, analyze information, have healthy discussions, and become confident individuals. Being encouraged to respectfully express their opinions during class, learning and discussing the core Jewish values, having the opportunity to participate in a vibrant student government program and the variety of performances that students take a part in throughout the school year, are helping THA and THA parents to create future leaders.

Posted April 24, 2008

This school does well with the elementary grades but begins to fail in the middle school. Recent changes in past few years in administration have not been for the better. THA essentially hired three or four people to do the job that one was doing a few years (one whose efforts resulted in a Blue Ribbon award a few years ago). Decent education, good teachers for the most part although there has been a lot of attrition recently), and helpful to my child in Bat Mitzvah preparation. But by middle school, my child was definitely ready to move on to a different environment. Perhaps THA should consider becoming a K-5 school as that is where it does its best.

Posted February 28, 2008

Hello, My name Is Jordan Curiel; and yes I am the one that wrote the comment on Tucson Hebrew Academy. When I wrote that I was young and I was not thinking clearly. From that time when I wrote that and trhe time that I am writting this I have seen the Tucson Hebrew Academy Is a great school and if your child is Jewsih and wants a good education in Hebrew and in English send them to THA it is a great school with great teachers and I am having the best time of my life there. So please give THA a nother chance it is a great school T= The best school H= Has the best teaches A= An Awsome school The rabbi rock, The principal is cool, and the education top of the line THA you rock
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 10, 2008

I think the school has a fabulous new curriculum that students really love. The school has really turned the corner and committed to excellence in everything.

Posted May 25, 2007

We are concerned about the school's direction. Cannot give it a 100 percent endorsement.

Posted March 23, 2007

One of most trying aspects of this school is the difficult relationships between the administration/leadership and many of the parents. A lot of parents get frustrated and they burn out and yank their kids out -- especially by middle school. The teachers are fine -- many are even great. They get a high score. The question is whether or not what is offered is really worth the price tag and the hassles. Now that's the real question.

Posted June 15, 2006

Poor Communication, Poor job of challenging exceptional children. Lack of consideration for children with special needs, while too much attention paid to fundraising with little scholarship available to show for it.

Posted June 15, 2006

Excellent Academics, true caring for the needs of each individual child with a curriculum geared to meet the highest performing levels of the Students. Wonderful Caring staff.

Posted June 15, 2006

Too much politics. TOo much concern over the 'school blue ribbon reputation' and not enough concern for the real needs of the students. Unccoperative attitude between teachers, administration and parents abound. Overprices for what you get.

Posted April 29, 2006

I was a student who attended THA from 1st through 5th grade. The school was good or bad depending on who you are. My social enviroment was at times great and at others, horrible. The school provided for lots of fun and flexible oppuritinties to have fun with my peers. The education at THA is average. The hebrew education was pretty good and did pretty well on preparing me for my Bar Mitzvah. The secular education was also pretty good, but at times had flaws. My parents didn treally like THA. They didnt mind the education, but really hated the enviroment. They felt that they 'played favorites' a lots of time. They really favored students who's parents were on the board, and were bad to miniorities.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 21, 2006

I have worked at many schools, but the thing that most impresses me about THA is the integrity, intelligence, and experience of the teachers. The THA faculty really do care about kids and families and they work to provide a stellar experience for kids as they go through school. They also strive to create a fun, professional, and collegial environment in which to work. This is the healthiest group of educational professionals I have encountered in years!
—Submitted by an administrator

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Julia Anderson
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Jewish
Associations
  • JCDSA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious