No rating

St. Michael's School

Private | K-8 | 320 students

Our school is best known for its balance of programs.

Living in Tucson

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $90,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Posted February 13, 2012

This school used to be amazing! But now it has fallen down hill. As an alumni from the school I know realize how much better other schools are compared to this one. The school says that he have and meet the "standard" of private schools, but in reality, they're very similar to public schools, if not worse. Also, some of the children at the school are so ill-behaved, that they become intolerable. This also applies to some of the teachers. I've noticed about the teachers that they're either OUTSTANDING teachers, or simply to not come anywhere near the expectation of what St. Michael's says that they hold. Most of the K-4 teachers are wonderful, but after 5th grade they become vicious and don't understand the subject they should be teaching. All the school seems to care about is about whether of not the students chew gum in class or if they use wikipedia for their homework. I feel the campus is unsafe because often times homeless people are wandering around, because it is connected to a church. I recommend sending your child here only if you want to waste your money and ruin their future, as they did to me. I cannot feel like this school could have been more of a waste of time.

Posted July 24, 2011

I just graduated from St. Michaels, and I absolutely loved it. My friends and I talk about how much we miss it and all the great memories we made. The teachers were funny and kind. They would help you with anything you needed! If it was one-on-one time or just review! They would always be there for you. Also the teachers made the classes really interesting, and they would have more hands on experiences and fun simulations. Sure, the schoolwork is tough, and we did have a lot of homework, but what I realized was that every day I came home from school, I learned something. So when you ask your kids what they learned today, they will tell you so many things! One of my friends came from a public school, and she can't say how much she loved St. Mikes compared to other schools. Also the students are true genuine kids. I can't say that there isn't any drama because all schools have that. I can tell you that everyone tries to stop bullying or problems. St. Michaels has provided me with an outstanding experience, and one I will remember my whole life. Also this school has prepared me so well for high school, and I feel completely ready for the next 4 years. I highly recommend this school.

Posted September 9, 2010

My children love St. Michael's! This school manages to excel in academics and enrichment in sports, fine arts and languages. A lot is expected of students and parents but it is well worth the investment. The students here are motivated to work hard and are kind and happy. We came from another school three years ago, and the difference from smaller classes has kept my son and daughter engaged in learning. I know the teachers much better than I did before, and they know my children well. The only problem is that it just goes through 8th grade. We wish they had a high school.

Posted August 17, 2010

St Michaels is going more towards fine arts and is slipping in it's focus on acedemics. fine for students that enjoy band chorus but if you are looking for great acedemics look elsewhere

Posted October 3, 2009

St. Michael's has a well-rounded curriculum from Mathmatics to Latin. Children learn in smaller classrooms with teachers who are dedicated to education and the children they teach.

Posted May 29, 2009

Our family is still experiencing a high from the beautiful graduation ceremony. It was a magical event. The headmaster's speech was eloquent and sensitive. The student and parent speeches were also excellent. Our only regret is that we did not come to this wonderful school sooner.

Posted May 14, 2009

It is a very strong academic school. I've learned a lot while her, but there is a lot of bullying that the teachers don't seem to be aware of. The kids often curse and I've been punched before.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 25, 2009

This school offers a warm and welcoming community. I feel that the staff and parents work together as a team to support their students. My child actually stated to me that she was 'glad we sent her to this school because she feels smarter'. Even though it is demanding academically, she loves it! How great is that?

Posted March 19, 2009

My two oldest children attended and graduated from St. Michael's. They were incredibly well-prepared for their honors high schools and often spoke of how well-prepared they were. My two youngest children are now students in the intermediate and middle school areas there. They are having wonderful experiences learning with the dedicated teachers and community, and feel safe and accepted. I have found the teachers and staff to be helpful and personally connected to my children's needs and concerns. This is an active community that has many wonderful educational experiences and opportunities for families to become involved year after year.

Posted January 13, 2009

When my child first attended this school we were delighted. However, within one year our experience with the school changed for the worse. At this school we found that academic excellence was stressed but not thoroughly supported. Inexperienced teachers were not given the tools they needed to succeed. Leadership seemed disinterested in parental concerns and appeared to lack an appropriate level of cultural sensitivity and awareness. In the end, we were very displeased with the school and removed our child.

Posted October 3, 2008

We are new to the school this year. We came from the public school sector. So far, I feel that we have made a great choice. Is it worth the money? You bet! I was not around for the turmoil mentioned in other reviews so I do not have a comparison to past years. I will say without a doubt that I am quite pleased with the headmaster and his communication to parents. All the staff are well credentialed and devoted. I am very pleased with all the subjects that are offered. It is academically challenging and demanding. This is not the place for the average to below average student. There are high expectations for the students here for both acheivement and behavior. As a parent you must be ready to be supportive of this environment. I find it refreshing! My daughter is excited to go to school everyday!

Posted September 24, 2008

School year 2008 is going well. The turmoil noted by another parent has not been resolved, but the teachers, who are doing a great job, are hanging in there. There have been no open discussions with the autocratic rector or the board chair but a church parish is not a democracy. To date, this has not changed the essential character of the school community. The classes, the teachers, the program, the campus, the extracurriculars are all top notch. Hopefully the headmaster will head off to greener pastures soon.

Posted May 27, 2008

Our child is just finishing Kindergarten this year, and it has been fantastic. Teacher is absolutely wonderful, and it's just been a great experience. However, the dissoluion of the parents' group and the resignation of a few key Board members is very troubling. There has been very little communication to the school community around these issues, which is further troubling. Hopefully things get back on track for the 2008-2009 school year - we would love to continue sending our child here.

Posted September 28, 2007

Excellent school on all levels. Close-knit community with excellent parent involvement. Strong academic focus. Teachers and staff are all highly dedicated. You'll be impressed!

Posted August 8, 2007

I'm really impressed with St Michael's at this time. Comparing this to other schools in the Tucson valley, St Michael's is a more demanding curriculum: much better at developing children's academic skills than others we investigated. Starting our third year with children in 3rd and 1st grade now. Teachers have been excellent in discipline and academic leadership, as well as the kids liking them. Extracurricular activities are dramatically better than other schools in the area. Behavior across the entire campus is remarkable when compared to other schools, and our teachers have been willing to keep raising the goals to keep the children working to higher and higher standards.

Posted July 19, 2007

Wow! Our experience at St. Michael's's has been very positive. The new headmaster is advancing the quality of instruction and fine arts programs, the teachers are working hard to help students succeed, and the physical environment is very inviting. It doesn't seem at all ' rigid, demanding, and worksheet driven' to us. Students do many projects and field trips and have music, art, Spanish, and P.E during the school day. We appreciate the community feeling and emphasis on always improving...
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 12, 2007

The best thing about St. Michael's is the community - families are extremely involved in their children's education. That said, however, I feel that the quality of the school is declining. Lower elementary learning is heavily worksheet-based with multiple hours of homework per week. Experiential learning is proven to be more developmentally appropriate for this age group yet I don't see enough offered at St Michael's. Also, I fear that discipline is becoming a huge problem - bullying, foul language etc. This can quickly become a major issue-I am curious to see how the faculty takes charge of this potentially damaging situation.For a school that has such tremendous parental involvement and support, it is surprising that the faculty does not involve the parents more often to combat this issue. Zero tolerance and parental notification can go a long way. This is our 4th year here and I am quickly becoming disappointed.

Posted April 1, 2007

We looked at all the private and many of the public/charter schools, including our own foothills district before placing my 6th grade son here last year. Although the ride is far and my son is neither Christian nor religious, we love St. Michael's. The teachers are amazingly engaged and engaging, the kids are caring, supportive, fun and seem very happy. The community is a healthy, close-kint environment, and the academics are first-class. I wish there were more opportunities for exercise and healthy snacking during the day, but otherwise I wouldn't change anything about the school.

Posted April 9, 2006

This is a highly academic school. The kids who attend are generally wonderful. The facility is also great. However, the program for the younger grades, kindergarten and first graders, is too rigid and demanding. The teachers emphasize worksheets rather than teaching higher level thinking skills.

Posted September 9, 2003

We are so thrilled with St. Michael's! The fact that Spanish and Latin are offered to middle schoolers, they have a chess club, lots of sports (volleyball, soccer, basketball, track, football, cheerleading, cross country, etc) make it one of the best religious schools I've seen in years. I have 4 kids there now and can't imagine a better school!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:20 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Margaret Delk Moore
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Episcopal
Associations
  • NAES
Fax number
  • (520) 886-0851

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep

• Social justice
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)

• Drama
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

9 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year

Financial aid offered
School-based aid
Tax credits

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
University High School