Academy of Math and Science

Charter | K-8 | 334 students

We are best known for accelerated curriculum.

Living in Tucson

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $70,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Sweep tile

Posted September 14, 2010

Every morning my KG son wakes up with a question:"Will we go to school today?", and if it's "Yes", he jumps out of bed with "Hourray!". All my children liked school, but nobody was as happy at school as my son is at AMS. I am happy, too, with his academic progress. His KG class is doing 1st grade math. Every week they have a well-choosen poem to learn by heart. In one month of instructions he learned how to write the whole page of letters and numbers looking very neat. And almost everybody in his class begins to read! After regular classes he goes to Art club, Karate and Gymnastic. The KG teachers are highly professional. They love their students so much! AMS is a school of my dreams! And, must to say, I was spoiled by private education.

Posted September 14, 2010

As a parent of an AMS student, I can clearly see the amount of progress my daughter makes everyday. She has learned so much already just in her few weeks here at the school, and she is SO happy to come to school everyday. She loves the school and her teacher so much, she is upset on weekends when she cannot come to school! The amount of attention and dedication the teachers put into their job is unlike any other school I have ever seen. But its not just the teachers, the entire staff from the front office to the principal and director are so involved with the students. It truly is a school where everyone cares about the success of their students, and I cannot think of a better school for my child!

Posted July 1, 2010

The Academy of Math and Science is a school that is dedicated to their students. The curriculum is designed to meet all student needs. The after school tutoring program is a benefit to all that are involved. Parent involvement is always encouraged and welcomed. Thank you for making sure that our students have the education they deserve!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 9, 2010

I am very happy with the academic program in both Kindergarten and 7th grade. Both of my kids are bright and I am very happy with both the amount of work they were expected to do and their rate of progression. They were consistently engaged and challenged. The amount of attention and caring time teachers give lets them know when students are struggling, which is SO important for their success! I appreciate all the time and effort the teachers give to the students (especially mine!).

Posted June 7, 2010

The teachers and staff at AMS are amazing. They are the most caring and hardworking teachers I have every known. My son's teacher really understands the students in her classroom. During school my son always talked about his teachers and misses them now during the summer break. They are wonderful, kind and inspiring. The principal is approachable, supportive and fair. I like that she is in the parking lot before and after school. It is so representative of the care and concern that AMS has for all of its students

Posted April 21, 2010

I love the Academy of Math and Science because the teachers are the best group I've ever seen in any school. They truly care and nurture students while holding tremendously high expectations by teaching one grade level ahead. I like leaving my children at school knowing that their classmates have parents concerned about the same things I am concerned about. This is a great school!

Posted April 20, 2010

I had heard really good things about this school. Finally, last summer I enrolled my son and hoped that he would measure up to the high academic emphasis. He has risen to the challenge thanks to his exceptional teacher who gives him the attention and help he needs. It is a unique environment where it is cool to do academically well. My son loves his school. We made the right choice.

Posted March 25, 2010

My son is in 4th grade and is doing geometry and algebra. I didn't get these subjects until high school. His teacher is fun and friendly. The principal's door is always open and she is easy to talk to. I really like the after school tutoring. He gets the help he needs and most of his homework done after school. I know he is safe and well taken care of. This is the right school for a working mom.

Posted March 17, 2010

My younger sister went to AMS. She loved it so much I didn't consider sending my Kindergartener anywhere else. The academics are far ahead of other schools. My Kindergartener is doing First Grade math, First Grade reading and learning Russian. There are many options for afterschool programs like karate and gymnastics so I don't have to travel across town. I like the fact that uniforms are required so I don't have to spend so much money on clothes. My sister loved AMS, I love AMS and my daughter loves AMS.

Posted March 13, 2010

Finally I found the school where teachers care about kids. My son comes home and doing homework. That 's refreshing. This school is very academically oriented. If you care about your children education and ready to dedicate your time, this is the right school for you

Posted March 11, 2010

Teachers are great! Administration is questionable. School could be cleaner and there are maintenance issues, i.e., repairs and cleanliness.

Posted March 9, 2010

How wonderful it was during the first days that my son was attending AMS that I realized that he was in a situation where his skill and knowledge would soar to great heights. The days of him saying that he didn t want to go to school are over and he has a desire to do well in all areas of his life. The whole staff is amazing and they have addressed every concern and issue that I have had in a timely and thoughtful manner. The music and science programs are incredible and the students are also challenged in P.E., art and computers every week. AMS has succeeded in providing a high quality education for their students and lets nothing get in the way of that.

Posted March 5, 2010

My son has attended Academy of Math and Science for several years now, and I as a parent am very pleased with the curriculum that the school offers, it is far better than the curriculum that the public schools offer. As long as my son attends the Academy of Math and Science I know he is being pushed to his best potential and the teacher are always there to help him and me when I don't understand something. I love that the school has an open door policy, If I decide to go see a teacher or the principal I know that I am always welcome with my concerns and they will listen and help address the concerns I may have. I would strongly recommend the Academy of Math and Science to any parent that is looking for a good where the student can strive and the parents can feel like

Posted March 2, 2010

My son has been a student here for 3 years and will soon be moving up to High School. We searched a long time before we settled on AMS. The teachers have high expectations for these students and they are strict. I appreciate that very much. What AMS lacks in outer appearance (ie: the building facade) it more than makes up for in quality of education. If you're looking for a school, at least check it out, you won't be sorry.

Posted January 26, 2010

My Wife and I have had both of our children at this school (AMS) since 2002. We greatly appreciate the sincerity and dedication of so many teachers and staff here the entire time. Our children have been tremendously well cared for and guided by teachers and everyone at AMS, and that is the basis for truly educating a young person. Thanks to all.

Posted January 19, 2010

My 4 kids have been going to this school for several years and I wouldn't have them anywhere else. AMS provides a higher quality of education than most schools and the Teacher/ Student ratio is better. Also I can always get a hold of the Teachers quickly if need be.

Posted December 18, 2009

It is a great school, which provides a great education. My child goes to the third grade. She loves to read and is working on 4th grade material. I can call teacher any time of the day, she gives her home phone numbers to parents. We love AMS

Posted May 13, 2009

This school has an accelerated Mathematics program. It is very rigorous and my daughter who goes there learned a lot in just 3 months of working with a dedicated Math teacher. I highly recommend this school

Posted November 26, 2008

This is the fourth year my son has attended the Academy of Math and Science and we have had a chance to watch our school grow into something wonderful. As my child became closer and closer to attending Pre-School I knew that Public School was not a place that I wanted him to experience at all. So when I found AMS I was very excited that enrollment and tuition was free and the cirriculum was excellerated. What I enjoy the most about our school is that it is a family oriented environment. My child is not a forgotten child sitting in the room, he is a part of a family. The employee's are definitely there for the best interest of my child and I love it.

Posted November 20, 2008

The Academy of Math and Science provides a quality educational program for students of all backgrounds and abilities. Children develop critical thinking skills as they apply their knowledge within a positive learning environment. The Academy of Math and Science emphasizes high expectations, responsible behavior, and the development of ideals necessary to be successful in school and in life. AMS is a place where parents, teachers, and staff share a common goal - working together to provide the best education possible for our students.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 64%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Blue Ribbon K-12 School (2008)
  • Gold Gain Middle School EPIC Award (2008)
  • America's Best High Schools, Bronze Medal, U.S. News and World Reports (2008)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Tatyana Chayka
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Art teacher(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • German
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper