Academy of Math and Science

Charter | K-8 | 334 students

We are best known for accelerated curriculum.

Living in Tucson

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $70,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Posted February 28, 2012

My son is a 5th grader at AMS. He is quite bright but has some learning challenges. I can't begin to say enough good about his teacher. Mr. M brings out the best in my son. He runs a tight ship and has high expectations for the students. At the same time he engages the students so intensely that they are bound to perform their best. We gave our son the choice of this school or standard public school, telling him he would have to work much harder at AMS but would receive more help and a better education. He accepted the challenge, and for the first time ever has told us he loves school. Not only is he learning more, Mr. M has also helped him develop better over all study skills. This is not a school for kids who don't want to work hard. But for kids who really want to achieve, this school delivers.

Posted February 17, 2012

Moved our kids out of Lifelong Learning Academy to this school and all I can say is thank goodness! The administration is great! The school is organized..so refreshing and exciting. The curriculum is tough and challenging but worth it because I know my kids are getting a great education. Even the kids say how much more organized everything feels here compared to their old school - so I know we made the right move.

Posted February 2, 2012

My son is in third grade at AMS and i love this school his teacher is awsome in all that she does and caring for each child in her glass i recommend this school on all levels as a parent. AMS steped in to help Pima with there GED program which was awsome for parents who lived in the area and wanted to futher there education so i am glad my son goes to a school that not only says it cares but shows it AMS you're awsome

Posted November 4, 2011

Hello, I just had parent/teacher conferences and I love AMS. Your staff is involved and on top of what they do for a living. I can tell that although the job may be challenging, the teachers really seem to care about the kids. This is so wonderful. I want to say how very pleased I am with AMS. I love the teachers and have had such a great experience so far. My three children, Stone- 6th grade, Mariana- 5th grade and Melody- 3rd grade are all happy to be there. Although you and I have met regarding a Lego incident, I was so happy in how it was all handled. Speaking of how incidents are handled, my compliments to Ms Melissa, Dean of Students in the way she handles situations and talks to the children. Everyday, I am more pleased with my choice of where my children are educated. Education is a priority in the Staller house and AMS does GREAT work. Keep it up! A VERY happy parent, Christiana "To succeed you have to believe in something with such a passion that it becomes a reality." -A.R.

Posted October 27, 2011

This was an EXCELLENT school ! I regret leaving it. This school has a very strong academic program centered around the core subject english,math,science,and mathematics.This school is the best that I have attended.The only problem I encounterd with AMS was the occasional tension,and attitude the administration would display towards the students. I had the great honor,and pleasure of the Academy of Math and Science Tucson,Arizona.

Posted September 12, 2011

I have two boys who started their third year at AMS last month. There is a definite difference in curriculum and how the kids are taught at this school compared to the public school that my oldest son attended before starting at AMS. Each grade is taught based on curriculum that is one grade ahead. For example, my son who is in 4th grade is learning from 5th grade books! The children are doing very well with the advanced learning and I think that is due in part to the great teachers, the small classes, and the way the material is presented. Along with well planned general studies, the school also has a regular schedule of Art, P/E, Russian, Spanish, and Music classes. Once the children reach 2nd grade they have their choice in learning piano or guitar for their music class. AMS is an excellent school.

Posted August 24, 2011

I am very happy to send my son at AMS again. The curriculum is very advanced and requires a lot of attention and work, but in the same time it's taught with a lot of gentelness, care and attention to every child's personality and feelings. I am very ambitious and "picky" about my children's education (I have two PhD degrees my-self, one of them from Sorbonne, Paris), and I can tell that I don't see another school in Arizona (and may be beyond) that would fit so well my idea of high quality personalized elementary education. I also appreciate the great AMS parents community that share my educational ideals, and educate their children in the same respect of culture, intellectual excellence and high moral values, as I try to do.

Posted August 24, 2011

My grandson is starting his second year at AMS. He was in kindergarten last year (although he did a lot of first-grade work in reading and math), and again I expect that he will work above grade level. I was extremely pleased with the progress he made during this year. He was not reading at all when he entered AMS, but after a year, he is now reading books such as Treasure Island that are well above the first-grade level. He is also doing very well in math, and is making great progress in understanding concepts as well as doing the necessary drill work in the basics. As a scientist/educator myself (I am Prof. Emeritus at the Univ. of Arizona), I am convinced that my grandson s progress is due to the excellence of the curriculum and the quality of the teachers at AMS. The teachers are quite flexible and allow each student to progress as rapidly as their abilities will permit. AMS has music and art classes and multiple after school learning activities for students. The students are ethnically diverse, and the parents are supportive of school activities. I look forward to my grandson having another year of exciting growth in his learning and development at this excellent school.

Posted August 24, 2011

My daughter is in her 3rd year at AMS. Her current national testing scores are well above the national average in Math, Science, Reading and Language. Another charter school that she went to the year prior to AMS did not provide the scholastic structure or support that she needed and I was mortified at her national tests scores. I'm grateful for a school that is willing to challenge her and at the same time meet her where she is.

Posted July 27, 2011

My oldest son went to K, some years ago. Education was top notch but the Administrators stunk. Went to a different charter to have my then 2 kids happy.... not. 1/2 way thru last fall I took both kids back to AMS, and thank god I did! the kids are so happy and challenged finally. they have a firm grasp on bullying and safety. The office needs more help and I may just see if I can't help them out this year, as all (3 now) of my kids will go there. So happy there. hopefully they will stay great. Wish I was happier living in Tucson LOL

Posted May 26, 2011

My daughter was not being challenged at her previous middle school. She attended AMS for 8th grade this year. The difference in her outlook on school is astounding. She is motivated and earned straight A s. She also won many local and state awards for writing, math and art. When considering her options for high school, she chose to stay at AMS because of the person attention she receives from the excellent teachers. She is also excited about the dual-credit classes she can take to earn college credit. On this last day of school, we both look forward to her high school career at AMS.

Posted May 26, 2011

My son is happy as he can be with his caring teacher, administrators who know all children names and characters, and his classmates who are all his good friends. I am very happy with AMS too, but not only because my son is safe, pumpered and joyful at school, but because the academic level is above all expectations. At the end of KG ALL students in his class read books and write 5-sentences compositions. They finished the 1st grade math program in KG, so you can send them buy groceries, and they will bring you the exact change. Next year, in 1st grade they will do the 2nd grade program, and so one. Every week children have a poetry to learn. They have music twice per week, Art, and other electives. Every day a club is offered after school, as well as free tutoring and homework help. At the beginning I was afraid of the homework, but at the end of the year I am only happy with it: the homework process is now as natural as brushing the teeths, because it started at this early age.

Posted May 25, 2011

It's just you, parent. It would be nice if you could actually explain yourself instead of leaving cryptic negative reivews.

Posted May 24, 2011

Is it just me....or does all the 5 star reviews seem like they are faked? This school is not a good school. Administration seems crooked.

Posted May 20, 2011

I have two kids attending AMS. For the most part the education for K thru 8th have been exceptionally good. However my older child is a freshman in the high school and while the teachers there, for the most part, have been wonderful, the selection of courses being offered to the high school is not as good. All four high school grades are lumped together in one classroom with one teacher for every subject. We have decided to enroll our high schooler and our middle schooler with another charter school district that our oldest child has attended for the last four years without any problems. AMS would do well on focusing their school as a K thru 8th and either dropping the high school or move the high school to another campus by itself.

Posted April 25, 2011

I am constantly wowed by this school and how much they put the time in to help one on one with the children and how much they care. Their academic and extracurricular programs are top notch and they are willing to give my child and any child the extra time or challenge whenever necessary or wanted.

Posted April 18, 2011

the school is really great for my chidren, my only concern is that there seems to not be enough help in the main office, the secretary seems to wear many hats, but other than that my children are learning alot of new concepts, and in the meantime making many new friends.

Posted March 16, 2011

My son wants to be a Scientist and I thought that the Academy of Math and Science would be a great place for him. I was hesitant at first because of the neighborhood it sits in but after touring the school and speaking with the Administration, I noticed the emphises on safety, class management, discipline, structure, and a higher level of education. In addition, when my kids speak with their friends that attend different schools, they notice a difference between a public education versus an education from Academy of Math and Science. Needless to say, I'm pleased with the quality of education my children are receiving.

Posted March 15, 2011

My son has been attending AMS since kindergarten, he is now a second grader in a third grade class. I am impressed with the school. My son continues to learn and grow every quarter. His teacher takes the time with him that I believe he would not receive if he were at a public elementary school. I would reccomend this school to parents who want their children to learn and grow above and beyond what is currently being taught in public schools. My son also enjoys all the learning he does and enjoys going to school.

Posted March 15, 2011

We have been very pleased and impressed with all the Kindergarten programs this year. The academic curriculum is solidly based, and the children have shown consistent progress throughout the school year. The program is accelerated, with high expectations, along with consideration of differences in students abilities. The teachers are extraordinarily strong, with great patience and ability to gently but firmly discipline. There are many enrichment classes available, including art, music, computers, and language, starting in Kindergarten. This is a program that deserves serious investigation and consideration if you are looking for a non-stressful but strong academic environment that provides hight expectations along with clear accountability.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A47%
Female 46%N/A49%
Male 54%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Blue Ribbon K-12 School (2008)
  • Gold Gain Middle School EPIC Award (2008)
  • America's Best High Schools, Bronze Medal, U.S. News and World Reports (2008)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Tatyana Chayka
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Art teacher(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • German
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper