Tucson Country Day School

Charter | K-8 | 679 students

We are best known for social and academic excellence.

Living in Tucson

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $169,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $860.

Posted August 17, 2014

My children have attended Tucson Country Day School since it opened as a charter school in 2000. We've seen the school grow over the last 15 years from 40+ students to 700+ students. Families have come and gone during that time, as have teachers and administrators. Over the years, I've been impressed by the school's ability to keep the family-feel on campus, even as it's grown. There have been good teachers and great teachers but one thing is for sure, when a teacher isn't meeting the school's expectations, they don't stay long. This year, there has been a change in administration. A new principal has been hired. From what I can see, she is exactly what the school needs. The school is extremely strong on the social, manners, and behavioral side of things but needs to step it up a bit to go from good to great on the academic side. The new principal has a history of creating academic excellence at her schools and she has gotten off to a great start doing just that at TCDS. I respect the owner and other administrators a great deal and I think the school finally has the team it needs to achieve greatness. I could not be happier. Just visit the campus & you'll see why I say this.

Posted June 18, 2014

I LOVE Tucson Country Day School. When I read some of the recent reviews, I have to wonder if the reviewer is talking about the same school I am writing about, our views are SO different. Tucson Country Day School is an excellent school. My children have attended for many years and while the school has grown over the years, it has maintained what I consider to be its most important characteristics: great teachers, small class sizes, family friendly community and campus, social excellence which leads to a well-behaved and polite student body, lots of extra program like art, choir, general music, band, orchestra, Spanish, PE and technology, a strong administrative team, high expectations and strong academics. The school still offers after school sports for 5th through 8th graders. Sports include volleyball, softball, soccer and basketball for girls, and flag football, soccer and basketball for boys. There are many student recognition programs. Teachers are told they are "pure gold" and they are. Every student is Champion and my children have always felt like Champions when they were attending Tucson Country Day School. It's simply a great school and one my family loves!

Posted June 18, 2014

It's unfortunate when people don't understand why decisions are made and they feel it is okay to bash an entire school or program for a decision they disagree with. The Resource department at Tucson Country Day School is excellent. We have a great reputation in the community and students enroll at TCDS because of our reputation. The Resource department is housed in a building that is only a few years old. Rooms are designed for a teacher and several children. The rooms are clean, new, fresh and open with plenty of windows. The Resource department staff has their own computers and students use them and laptops the Department has available. As an inclusion school, most resource services are given in the classroom by a certified special education teacher or a trained paraprofessional. When students need small group or one-on-one services with a certified special education teacher, they are seen in the Resource building. The Resource Department has received a 100% rating by the State of Arizona for the last several years when it comes to compliance with State and Federal laws, and services and program offered. The Resource Department even holds it own awards ceremony each year.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 15, 2014

School does nothing for bullying. The teachers don't listen when there is an issue. Never again. My children will not go to this school. Oh and don't forget the constant rodent issue and snakes. My child did not feel safe.

Posted May 30, 2014

As a parent I felt like I didn't have enough communication with the teacher. I dislike that there is only one parent teacher conference in the beginning of the year. It took forever to get my child in the intervention program and once she was in she did great and excelled but it upsets me there was so much time in between before she was placed and given the right accomendations. We are not enrolling our children back into this school which is sad because the year started off so promising.

Posted May 24, 2014

This is an ok school. People make it out to be better than what it really is. My child is in special ed. It has been an absolute joke with them. Finally they get an amazing teacher for the older kids and my child progresses and advances in ways I didn't think were possible. He was an amazing teacher! What do they do? Do continue his contract for the next year. What a joke. We will not be putting our child in this school again. The resource department is a joke. The rooms are small and crowded their computers are 10 years old while the rest of the school has great technology advances. It shows if you're not the favorite teacher and don't kiss behinds they'll give you the can and make the children suffer. If they can't fund their resource department and have teachers that care. Then what is the point? If you have a child that needs extra attention don't put them in here. They'll just dump and basically give them pages to color than actually teach. SO disappointed in you TCDS. You messed up big time not letting the best teacher continue.

Posted May 14, 2014

tucson country day has been a nightmare !!!!! they show favoritism, they trat ths children like its a police state mind set , they teach conformity and they have honor roll kids in detention if they forget 3 home works or get 3 tardies the will be in detention.if you forget your sweaters they will donate them with out your consent i have had 2 hundred dollar jackets taken and given away with out notice.you have to act trhe same follow the leader if you cannot you will not be accepted at this school . T hey are forming sheep for the future of america. they will call cps on you for any reason and call it a protel call.they have made me and my family live in fear and made they family scared to go to school !!! this school is a nightmare and the principal will always side with any teacher for any reason even at fault

Posted May 5, 2014

I am a parent of TWO student at Tucson Country Day School. This school is terrible, my children will NOT be going here next year, that is for sure. Had I known that this school showed favoritism to students and treated others the way they do, forced conservatism on children, etc. and were money grubbing for uniforms and every other activity, my children would never have been enrolled here to begin with. Horrible. One student in my child's class got points taken off his grade for coloring TWO DIFFERENT colored eyes! what is this teaching our children? One of the biggest selling artists of all time has two different colored eyes! David Bowie! And they allowed this to happen! They feed the children JUNK food and charge $3.50 for horrible unhealthy food. Do not send your children to this school!

Posted January 21, 2014

This school has an amazing outside reputation but this is entirely not the same on the inside. My student went to this school for almost his entire academic career and he was doing great till middle school. The TCDS math department has had failing AIMS scores for the past 6 years and the school has yet to realize that the teacher isn't teaching her students to the best of her ability. My child was left straggling in the back and when he went for help or asked for a little help on last nights homework it was marked missing and he was sent to intervention, an after school program for students to finish there work. My child was told when asked for help to look in the textbook and this math teacher was not there to be found. I sent my child there to be ready for high school and that is not at all what I got.

Posted October 28, 2013

What is Tucson Country Day School doing about the Common Core standards? For the 2013-2014 school year, TCDS teachers are fully implementing the Common Core standards at each grade level. This is known as "Level 2" implementation. Level 1 is when teachers become familiar with the standards and with concepts that underlie them such as rigor, depth of knowledge, and close reading. TCDS teachers were immersed in Level 1 preparation through their professional development in previous years. This year they are fully implementing the standards. What does this look like in the classroom? Students are engaging with math and language arts material in much greater depth. They are explaining their thinking, justifying their answers, taking positions, and arguing for them. Each student has a "continual progress report" folder for math which shows their level of mastery of each standard, and this report is updated regularly. Certain grade levels are holding monthly parent sessions to explain the new math standards. And teachers gather weekly to develop classroom curricula to support the new standards. The teachers have really stepped up to this challenging work!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 24, 2013

TCDS is so much better then TUSD, The teachers are great my child went there last year for 3rd grade and now in 4th and I can't ask for a better teacher

Posted October 24, 2013

TCDS is by far a way better school than TUSD. I am so happy with the progress my son has made since he started attending. Not to mention his IEP are a lot different than the ones from TUSD. There is no comparing.

Posted August 29, 2013

I have 2 children in Tucson Country Day School, K and 1st-grade. Uniforms are strict and color coded for easy recognition of grades. Great idea! Recently my K got in a little trouble with the fire alarm and the consequence, by the principal, was handled in a very appropiate manner. The child was treated respectfully and fairly. I was impressed. The special ed dept. is phenominal. So glad we transferred from TUSD.

Posted August 1, 2013

I have been very pleased with this school for my Granddaughters. They have smaller class sizes and teachers who seem to want to be there. They also value the Arts which so many other schools have let go which is a huge disservice to the children. The availability of on campus after school care and classes is also a great feature. The campus houses Preschool through Junior High which I think is good for all of the kids. I think they do the best they can to make sure kids know sitting at a desk and reading a book is not the only way to learn. In our teach to the test only educational culture now days this isn't an easy thing to accomplish without being a private school. Is it perfect no nothing is. But is it heads above what is offered in TUSD for the most part yes. Our children will be entering 2nd and 5th grade. They have been there since Preschool.

Posted July 10, 2013

All three of my children attend TCDS (5th grade, 1st grade and PK) and my oldest has attended since she was in Kinder. This school has many great aspects to it despite the few negative reviews I have read on here. I also work at the school as a substitute teacher and couldnt think of a better place to send your kids or work at. My son has special needs and the resource department is excellent in helping him excel last year in Kinder. My daughter is held accountable for her school work and held at higher standards for her social behavior at the school. My son received discipline that was appropriate for his misbehavior's last year and well within the IEP/504 guidelines. I find that this school has great boundaries for students and a high academic structure regarding the curriculum. They use fun and innovative ways to encourage learning and critical thinking for students; rather than doing a simple book report my daughter did an activity every quarter that required critical thinking outside of the box. The PS/PK program is excellent as well and my youngest daughter is returning this year. I would HIGHLY recommend this school to anyone wanting to find a school for their children!

Posted May 21, 2013

This school's test scores have declined signifigantly since the arrival of the new Principal. That can be verified on this website. The atmosphere is one of concern. If you "fit in" to the staff culture. You will do well. Children are bullied and become a victem again from the staff! I find it sad, this was a great school.

Posted April 22, 2013

We moved to TCDS from our local public school that actually is rated higher. TCDS has proven to be a fantastic change for both my kids, both with very different needs. My son is in special ed and the school has done everything to address his needs. I feel so well supported by a great team of teachers and aids. And, even more important, my son likes school for the first time in his life. He's happy there! My daughter has other "special needs"; she has been in the GATE program since she was 5. She was totally bored and uninspired by our previous school. She was starting to dislike school as well. TCDS has also addressed her need for being challenged, and recognized for her gifts. She is in classes at her level that challenge and inspire her, and she is regularly awarded for being a good student and citizen. She is now happy again at school too. When my kids are happy in school; I know they are learning and growing. To me a school that can identify and provide what each child needs makes a "great" school.

Posted September 27, 2012

POSITIVES: Mr. Wright and nice grounds! NEGATIVES: 1. The secretary doubles as the school nurse. They have never had a nurse. 2. After reading another review about bullies here, I remembered that last year, one of the teacher's children was making other students her "slaves". My daughter had to lead her friends to standing up against this bully after administration didn't do what they should have. We think it was because the teacher is practically an administrator herself. 3. Three of the past four years (my daughter is in the 4th grade), my daughter's teacher has been a first year teacher. 4. Students earn detentions for behavior, tardiness, and missing homework assignments where they have children do labor in the garden. If the child has a sibling, the parent has to pay for that child to go to after care (which is just paying for your child to get dirty). 5. Students are assigned detention for missing homework assignments but they are not allowed to go into the library and work on homework until they're in 5th grade. There isn't a study hall or tutoring after school like other schools have. 6. The school lunches are RARELY nutritious. 7. Teacher:student ratios in small rooms.

Posted August 31, 2012

Tucson Country Day School is an amazing school. We just started the school year with two days of Champion Days - a time when students across the entire campus - come together to talk about and embrace the school's expectations. It's a great way to build a sense of community and puts everyone on the same page from the very first day of school. No wonder the school has so few discipline problems.

Posted August 2, 2012

We have been at TCDS for 8 years and although it has had its ups and downs(like any school will) I feel as though there are no more problems here than you would have anywhere, especially in middle school. The administration could handle certain things better but overall it's a nice environment. Perhaps parents should focus on teaching their children to behave and quit blaming teachers for having to take time away from curriculum to do it for them.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
Japanese
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Labeled as Excelling by the State of Arizona (2008)
  • Labeled as Excelling by the State of Arizona (2009)

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Japanese

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gardening

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Dr. Mark Saliba
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (520) 290-1521

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Creative writing
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook