School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

One of the best ways to see what Tucson Country Day School is about is to visit our campus. Take a tour with an administrator. Visit our classrooms. Meet our office staff. See our teachers in action. Watch our students interact with each other. See our landscaped 10-acre campus, our covered activity center and playgrounds, and our large grassy field. Observe our art, music, PE, technology, Spanish, band and orchestra classes. Most important, see how our teachers interact with our students, and how hard we work to build relationships and to make every student feel like the CHAMPION that he or she is. Relationships build trust, trust builds good behavior, good behavior leads to uninterrupted instruction and uninterrupted instruction allows for high academic achievement and individualized instruction. As the COO, I focus on how the school runs and our amazing principal is free to focus on student academics and teacher excellence. We appreciate parent participation and feedback. We welcome new ideas, and ask ourselves through every step we take -- Is this what's best for kids? If it is, we continue. If it's not, we don't. Please come by and see who we are. I look forward to meeting you.
March 22, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My child has been a TCDS since they were in the Preschool program. She did very well in preschool and pre-kinder, and then we noticed that in Kindergarten she was not doing well in reading. Every time we have spoken to the administration and the teachers about our concerns, their only response is that we, as parents, need to read more to our child at home. TCDS has been unwilling to provide any support within the school regarding students who are struggling in reading. As a family, we have put our child in a summer phonics program and hired a Reading tutor, but they still struggle to read at grade level. As a parent, it is very frustrating when you ask the school for help and they turn it around and place the responsibility solely on the parents. We have given TCDS a chance for too long and unfortunately we will need to find a better school for our child next year. I believe that TCDS educates students who are on-grade level and have no behavioral struggles just fine. Unfortunately, they do not seem to have interventions in place to educate students who struggle academically and/or behaviorally.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some teachers are good but some teachers just aren't good at teaching they need to find a good job, but all in all most of the teachers are very good

Amount of homework: no rating

there isn't much homework, but they will give out 5 different projects at once that are all due around the same time and get made when they arent perfect, and students don't eat a good breakfast, and get 8-10 hours of sleep, and go through extra curricular classes

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The anti-bullying policy is a complete joke, i went there last year and they did nothing for me being tormented in school

So i was there for 7 years, at first it was nice...then they started not caring about the students education or bullying....i had a teacher who was gone for 3 months straight, i was bullied from 3rd grade until 7th grade (1st and 2nd were fine) but in 7th they really stopped caring, i had teachers on the sides as the bullies, the same teacher would tell me to stop when a different student would do something then call me fat...the students spread rumors about me, laughed at me, called me horrible names, and would scream awful things at me...in front of the teachers!!! they teachers just told them to walk away, they never asked how i was.....i do however like a few of the teachers...there was only 2 i wasn't particularly fond of, the rest were great. but the anti bullying policy is a complete lie, i am a student to clear things up, thankfully i moved away and got out of that place. i don't recommend it if your child is in middle school,however if your child is in elementary or preschool school it should be fine, again the teachers are great, but bullying is taken extremely lightly

Develops character: Strongly agree

Great school! Few issues were solved as they should have been. We lost a great math teacher. He taught my kiddo a math formula & he no longer struggles in math. Few kids couldn't handle it, so he was removed. The parents then move their kid to more challenging school. (Gets teacher fired-moves kid to more challenging school) really!!?? Maybe it wasn't the teacher? I do think healthier lunches could be provided for $3.50, so I pack lunches instead but overall great school!

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted March 22, 2015

WOW! I have seen some amazing changes at Tucson Country Day School this year. I have always been a fan of the school and very much appreciate the school's focus on social excellence as well as academics. Children are well-behaved and polite, there don't seem to be a lot of disruptions in the classroom and teachers care beyond anything I have ever seen. There is a new focus on data this year and students are being asked to set goals for themselves and then being asked to think about steps they can take to meet their goals - like raising my B in math to an A by doing all of my homework, asking questions when I have them and coming in at lunch to get extra help when I need it. I love this and so does my child. In Middle School, the students are divided into small groups they call "crews". Each crew has an adult leader who meets with the crew members every week to talk about how they are doing academically and socially. This accountability is great and is making my middle school student stay on top of ALL of his work. His grades are so much better. I couldn't be happier. I just enrolled for next year and I wouldn't go anywhere else.

I LOVE Tucson Country Day School. When I read some of the recent reviews, I have to wonder if the reviewer is talking about the same school I am writing about, our views are SO different. Tucson Country Day School is an excellent school. My children have attended for many years and while the school has grown over the years, it has maintained what I consider to be its most important characteristics: great teachers, small class sizes, family friendly community and campus, social excellence which leads to a well-behaved and polite student body, lots of extra program like art, choir, general music, band, orchestra, Spanish, PE and technology, a strong administrative team, high expectations and strong academics. The school still offers after school sports for 5th through 8th graders. Sports include volleyball, softball, soccer and basketball for girls, and flag football, soccer and basketball for boys. There are many student recognition programs. Teachers are told they are "pure gold" and they are. Every student is Champion and my children have always felt like Champions when they were attending Tucson Country Day School. It's simply a great school and one my family loves!

It's unfortunate when people don't understand why decisions are made and they feel it is okay to bash an entire school or program for a decision they disagree with. The Resource department at Tucson Country Day School is excellent. We have a great reputation in the community and students enroll at TCDS because of our reputation. The Resource department is housed in a building that is only a few years old. Rooms are designed for a teacher and several children. The rooms are clean, new, fresh and open with plenty of windows. The Resource department staff has their own computers and students use them and laptops the Department has available. As an inclusion school, most resource services are given in the classroom by a certified special education teacher or a trained paraprofessional. When students need small group or one-on-one services with a certified special education teacher, they are seen in the Resource building. The Resource Department has received a 100% rating by the State of Arizona for the last several years when it comes to compliance with State and Federal laws, and services and program offered. The Resource Department even holds it own awards ceremony each year.

Last modified Tucson Country Day School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.