Public charter
Tucson, AZ
Before care: Yes

Posted August 17, 2014
My children have attended Tucson Country Day School since it opened as a charter school in 2000. We've seen the school grow over the last 15 years from 40+ students to 700+ students. Families have come and gone during that time, as have teachers and administrators. Over the years, I've been impressed by the school's ability to keep the family-feel on campus, even as it's grown. There have been good teachers and great teachers but one thing is for sure, when a teacher isn't meeting the school's expectations, they don't stay long. This year, there has been a change in administration. A new principal has been hired. From what I can see, she is exactly what the school needs. The school is extremely strong on the social, manners, and behavioral side of things but needs to step it up a bit to go from good to great on the academic side. The new principal has a history of creating academic excellence at her schools and she has gotten off to a great start doing just that at TCDS. I respect the owner and other administrators a great deal and I think the school finally has the team it needs to achieve greatness. I could not be happier. Just visit the campus & you'll see why I say this.

Posted June 18, 2014
I LOVE Tucson Country Day School. When I read some of the recent reviews, I have to wonder if the reviewer is talking about the same school I am writing about, our views are SO different. Tucson Country Day School is an excellent school. My children have attended for many years and while the school has grown over the years, it has maintained what I consider to be its most important characteristics: great teachers, small class sizes, family friendly community and campus, social excellence which leads to a well-behaved and polite student body, lots of extra program like art, choir, general music, band, orchestra, Spanish, PE and technology, a strong administrative team, high expectations and strong academics. The school still offers after school sports for 5th through 8th graders. Sports include volleyball, softball, soccer and basketball for girls, and flag football, soccer and basketball for boys. There are many student recognition programs. Teachers are told they are "pure gold" and they are. Every student is Champion and my children have always felt like Champions when they were attending Tucson Country Day School. It's simply a great school and one my family loves!

Posted June 18, 2014
It's unfortunate when people don't understand why decisions are made and they feel it is okay to bash an entire school or program for a decision they disagree with. The Resource department at Tucson Country Day School is excellent. We have a great reputation in the community and students enroll at TCDS because of our reputation. The Resource department is housed in a building that is only a few years old. Rooms are designed for a teacher and several children. The rooms are clean, new, fresh and open with plenty of windows. The Resource department staff has their own computers and students use them and laptops the Department has available. As an inclusion school, most resource services are given in the classroom by a certified special education teacher or a trained paraprofessional. When students need small group or one-on-one services with a certified special education teacher, they are seen in the Resource building. The Resource Department has received a 100% rating by the State of Arizona for the last several years when it comes to compliance with State and Federal laws, and services and program offered. The Resource Department even holds it own awards ceremony each year.

Posted June 15, 2014
School does nothing for bullying. The teachers don't listen when there is an issue. Never again. My children will not go to this school. Oh and don't forget the constant rodent issue and snakes. My child did not feel safe.

Tucson Country Day School 2

Posted May 30, 2014
As a parent I felt like I didn't have enough communication with the teacher. I dislike that there is only one parent teacher conference in the beginning of the year. It took forever to get my child in the intervention program and once she was in she did great and excelled but it upsets me there was so much time in between before she was placed and given the right accomendations. We are not enrolling our children back into this school which is sad because the year started off so promising.

Posted May 24, 2014
This is an ok school. People make it out to be better than what it really is. My child is in special ed. It has been an absolute joke with them. Finally they get an amazing teacher for the older kids and my child progresses and advances in ways I didn't think were possible. He was an amazing teacher! What do they do? Do continue his contract for the next year. What a joke. We will not be putting our child in this school again. The resource department is a joke. The rooms are small and crowded their computers are 10 years old while the rest of the school has great technology advances. It shows if you're not the favorite teacher and don't kiss behinds they'll give you the can and make the children suffer. If they can't fund their resource department and have teachers that care. Then what is the point? If you have a child that needs extra attention don't put them in here. They'll just dump and basically give them pages to color than actually teach. SO disappointed in you TCDS. You messed up big time not letting the best teacher continue.

Posted May 14, 2014
tucson country day has been a nightmare !!!!! they show favoritism, they trat ths children like its a police state mind set , they teach conformity and they have honor roll kids in detention if they forget 3 home works or get 3 tardies the will be in detention.if you forget your sweaters they will donate them with out your consent i have had 2 hundred dollar jackets taken and given away with out notice.you have to act trhe same follow the leader if you cannot you will not be accepted at this school . T hey are forming sheep for the future of america. they will call cps on you for any reason and call it a protel call.they have made me and my family live in fear and made they family scared to go to school !!! this school is a nightmare and the principal will always side with any teacher for any reason even at fault

Posted May 05, 2014
I am a parent of TWO student at Tucson Country Day School. This school is terrible, my children will NOT be going here next year, that is for sure. Had I known that this school showed favoritism to students and treated others the way they do, forced conservatism on children, etc. and were money grubbing for uniforms and every other activity, my children would never have been enrolled here to begin with. Horrible. One student in my child's class got points taken off his grade for coloring TWO DIFFERENT colored eyes! what is this teaching our children? One of the biggest selling artists of all time has two different colored eyes! David Bowie! And they allowed this to happen! They feed the children JUNK food and charge $3.50 for horrible unhealthy food. Do not send your children to this school!

Posted January 21, 2014
This school has an amazing outside reputation but this is entirely not the same on the inside. My student went to this school for almost his entire academic career and he was doing great till middle school. The TCDS math department has had failing AIMS scores for the past 6 years and the school has yet to realize that the teacher isn't teaching her students to the best of her ability. My child was left straggling in the back and when he went for help or asked for a little help on last nights homework it was marked missing and he was sent to intervention, an after school program for students to finish there work. My child was told when asked for help to look in the textbook and this math teacher was not there to be found. I sent my child there to be ready for high school and that is not at all what I got.

Posted October 28, 2013
What is Tucson Country Day School doing about the Common Core standards? For the 2013-2014 school year, TCDS teachers are fully implementing the Common Core standards at each grade level. This is known as "Level 2" implementation. Level 1 is when teachers become familiar with the standards and with concepts that underlie them such as rigor, depth of knowledge, and close reading. TCDS teachers were immersed in Level 1 preparation through their professional development in previous years. This year they are fully implementing the standards. What does this look like in the classroom? Students are engaging with math and language arts material in much greater depth. They are explaining their thinking, justifying their answers, taking positions, and arguing for them. Each student has a "continual progress report" folder for math which shows their level of mastery of each standard, and this report is updated regularly. Certain grade levels are holding monthly parent sessions to explain the new math standards. And teachers gather weekly to develop classroom curricula to support the new standards. The teachers have really stepped up to this challenging work!

Tucson Country Day School
9239 E. Wrightstown Road, Tucson, AZ  85715
Last modified Tucson Country Day School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Tucson Country Day School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 98 reviews. Top