Posted March 11, 2014
Highly disappointed! When my child began Desert Springs Academy we thought it was a great school, the teacher was wonderful with the children and related to them. Then without any notice , poof, the teacher was gone with no explanation why and replaced with a bullying teacher. In the first day of his instruction my child and other children I spoke with were upset and distraught in how he spoke to them. My child is normally the happy 'A' student that gets along with everyone. After a day in his class my child came home crying with how he spoke to her. After speaking to other parents and their children, getting the same feedback from them, I decided that something seriously was wrong. Now, I didn't go into all that was said in our conversations, but let me tell you this...Watch out if you choose to send your child to a school that allows bullying by the teachers!

Desert Springs Academy 2

Posted January 31, 2014
This is a good academically focused school, but disorganized. I was told my child was doing poorly on a continuous basis by one person and the complete opposite by another. Progress reports lack any real information. The truth was he was right where he should be. The after school coordinator is a rip off, they send students there without contacting parents and expect you to pay for their failure in communication. It should be the parents choice not the teachers what happens if a child misses his regular transportation. They also have no cafeteria, so regardless of weather your kid would be eating outside.

Posted November 22, 2013
My children have ALL attended this school. I have been very pleased with the teachers and very appreciative of the staff support. Being a small school they received a lot of one on one attention. Discipline was handled appropriately and I was pleased with the results as they moved into high school.....highly recommended!

Posted July 18, 2013
This school is operating on past reputation- The school adminastration is lacking in student and teacher involvement - They have lost some good teacher and the replacements have been nothing short of a disaster for the environment and academics. Teachers Are the corner stones to good Academic students. You shouldn't just hire someone from Craig's list a few weeks before school starts. You shouldn't just hire some random parent to teach upper level classes - and offer No parent communication and expect your child to inform you the parent they are struggling in class and feeling mistreated. - Who is the adult here ! With recent problem from this school and teacher student issues . I would keep your self informed about your child needs - because The principle and some, not all , teachers may not . Hopefully with the new location they -the Administration / principle will step up and look out for everyone teachers and students alike!

Desert Springs Academy 4

Posted August 09, 2012
My daughter has been at DSA since 2nd grade, coming from Lineweaver elementary. We have had nothing but a great experience here. The teacher in question regarding singling out children in an unprofessional way, was also our 3rd grade teacher as well. We didnt have a problem with her, but she DID have rules, and expected children to follow them., teaching accountability and responsibility. I am aware of some of the families that complained about this teacher in 3rd grade, but coincidentally, their child also struggled following rules in 4th grade too. I dont know of the exact issues of 2012 with 3rd grade, but as for parents being "boat-rockers", the staff and director, in my opinion have been nothing but open to hearing any concerns parents have, and in fact, steps were taken to address that 3rd grade teacher, and she is no longer at DSA. We entertained taking our child out of DSA and putting her into Ventana Vista, logistically to be nearer to her brothers new school, but in the end, we decided to keep driving, and keep her where she has been thriving. DSA gets an A from this family.

Posted July 20, 2012
Desert Springs Academy is a small, academically-oriented charter school where every student is known by name. You get a private school education at a public school price. My daughter is the youngest of 4 and just completed Kindergarten. Her teacher challenged the students to read using a combination of Saxon Phonics and Hooked on Phonics curriculum. Even the most phonemic challenged students were reading by the end of the year! Her teacher provided a rich learning environment with plenty of songs, playtime and teaching of core reading, math, & writing skills. The field trips and other enrichment opportunties enhanced the already strong kindergarten curriculum. I also liked that the Director and office staff took great care in the safety and security of the students. I highly recommend Desert Springs Academy.

Desert Springs Academy 3

Posted June 14, 2012
Unfortunately, I had to pull my son out of fifth grade last year because he was being bullied not by fellow students but by his teacher. Apparently, my complaints were dismissed and I wasn't the only parent who's child was disrespected in the classroom.

Posted May 25, 2012
My daughter is in her second year at DSA. I have no complaints about 2011; everything seemed to be going well - she enjoyed her class time. 2012 was a nightmare. From day one there were issues in the classroom which were poorly handled by her third-grade teacher, or ignored altogether. Not only did the teacher fail to maintain a learning-friendly environment in the classroom; she actively contributed to a culture of negativity and, on more than one occasion, singled out children in a completely unprofessional way. Parents who attempted to address these issues with the principle were ignored, and sometimes overtly insulted. instead of seizing opportunities to improve the school, the principle treats any parent who brings such an opportunity to her attention as a "boat-rocker"; children of those parents are ostracized by certain members of the faculty. There is a serious crisis of leadership at this school; this was my child's last year at DSA. STAY AWAY.

Posted May 14, 2012
I am a student at DSA, I am currently in 8th grade, and have been coming here since the 5th grade. I, personally, have had a wonderful experience here. It wasn't the academics or extra activities that impressed me, but rather how well the rules are enforced. The people who are unhappy here are the ones that break the rules, and that's because they get punished for it. I also enjoy the fact that we are made responsible for picking up our own trash rather than having a janitor. I also got support from the staff and other students for my artwork. Considering I'm an anime artist, I usually get quite a lot of flack, but not at this school. Even my father isn't supportive of my art. But this is just my opinion. I'm nothing like you, or am I? I'm an A student even though I despise work, but I despise getting into trouble even more. I can't stand seeing a mess. My desk is quite cluttered, but organized nevertheless. I love manga and anime, and have several costumes of characters from my favorite animes that I'll proudly wear in public. I prefer to hang out with boys rather than girls even though I am a girl myself, and they treat me as one of them. Do you trust my opinion?

Desert Springs Academy 0

Posted April 09, 2010
This school is lacking in may things, the most important being facing reality. This school works of the attitude of 'If I don't admit it is happening, then it isn't'. We have several times brought to attention the inappropriate behavior of my childs teacher and no one listened. We ended up resorting to having my child record the classroom and the teachers comments. They still do not want to hear anything we have to say so we are taking it to the courts. Very unfortunate a good part of the staff is related so ..........need I say more.

Desert Springs Academy
3833 E. 2nd St., Tucson, AZ  85716
Last modified Desert Springs Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Springs Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews.