Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson

Charter | K-12 | 725 students

Our schools focus on science,technology,engineering, math and college-prep.

Living in Tucson

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $121,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $950.

Sweep tile

Posted March 11, 2014

My son has been a student at SSA for 8 years, since elementary school. The teachers have always been readily accessible to both students and parents, and have always encouraged him to learn. I like that the student will receive the education they need: whether it is more advanced work, or remedial assistance if they were having issues. The school is continuing to grow; I would love to see more extra curricular activities someday. He is happy here, and has asked to finish out high school with SSA and his friends there.

Posted March 8, 2014

I love this school. Great communication with parents and ambitious teachers. Excellent character education, and STEM focus.

Posted February 14, 2014

It is a great challenging school that focuses on STEM education and motivates their students to college study. I am happy that my three kids are studying in such a good school.

Posted February 3, 2014

We love Sonoran Science Academy. It is really great school. It is very challenging academically and they are offering a lot of after school activities. My son is going first grade and he is in the chess club and they won first place. Teachers are very caring to students.

Posted February 1, 2014

This school was incredibly disappointing for me and my gifted sixth grade son. The teachers often did not take any responsibility for student learning and had ridiculous, draconian homework requirements. Some teachers don't even follow their own policies consistently. Even worse, the administration does not abide by the law in multiple ways. For one thing, it implies that it has preferential admissions, which is not legal for a publicly funded school. It also doesn't include parents in educational placement decisions, which violates Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Remember, too, because this is a charter school, teachers can and will be overworked, and they will go along with it to keep their jobs. These teachers also do not have to be certified, which sometimes means they don't have the first clue how to actually teach. My son's English teacher had no experience teaching American students whatsoever, was horribly inconsistent, and didn't even tell students what she wanted them to do. She didn't grade most of their work and quit partway through the school year, leaving a series of substitute teachers to try to clean up her mess. Don't send your kids here.

Posted September 30, 2013

The Sonoran Science Acadamy is an exceptional school. The staff is patient, hard working, and dedicated to the scholastic success of their students. They make learning fun but also expect a high level of performance from every child. Our child is in the first grade and she is already reading at a 2nd grade level and is beginning to learn the basics of algebra. And while the school teaches at a fast pace, it is very manageble for the child to maintain that pace. My daughter had made great friends, loves her teachers and likes to go to school every day. I am more than impressed with this school and I look forward to my daughter continuing to get a top level education.

Posted September 20, 2013

This school is absolutely one of the best things I have done for my kids. The faculty have struck a really good balance in terms of academic rigor and scaffolding the kids' learning with a warm and comfortable environment. I do think that the school administration are constantly seeking to improve the school. They could rest on the laurels of their previous good ratings, but instead they really show conscientious effort toward the determining their teaching focuses and practices every year in accordance with state and national requirements. Although every parent has their own preferences and not all parents can be pleased at once, I think the fact that the administration are always on their feet thinking about these demands says a lot about the quality of this school.

Posted September 19, 2013

This is our first year at SSA. We are delighted with the change in our child. He is happy, engaged, and finally enjoying learning. I feel the teachers really know each child and that they are genuinely interested in helping each child succeed. They use a lot of positive reinforcement so that my child wants to do his best. There is a LOT of homework and my child is a fairly slow worker, so that has been challenging. (He's in 5th grade) But none of the homework is "busy work", it's all good practice. If your child completes the homework, they will do well on the tests, as the homework is designed to help them study the material. I have had no complaints from my child about the homework, only that he is "tired" because he is working so hard. But then, he's never HAD to work hard in school before so this is a new experience for him. He's discovering that working hard gets him good grades and he is enjoying the material as well. Because he is interested and not bored he is much more focused in this school than in our previous school. We are so glad we decided to give SSA a try.

Posted September 19, 2013

We love SSA Tucson!! They are like an extended family and really care about their students. They are great at getting families involved in doing activities together. The teachers and staff always go the extra mile. I know my children are in good hands when I drop them off. We wouldn't o anywhere else!

Posted September 19, 2013

This is our first year at SSA and I am so amazed at how quickly my children fell in love with the campus and teachers. They were so nervous to attend such a prestigious school, even though they are very bright and came from a very good school, but they found the children, and especially the teachers, to be very welcoming and supportive than ever imaginable. I feel the teachers are genuinely interested in each child, and communicate as often as needed with us as parents. They use a lot of positive reinforcement, but they also are very clear of the high standards they expect. There is a lot of homework, but I think it's good to get them used to working hard, studying, preparing for the future hard work to come, etc...I applaud the school for maintaining the prestige and academic excellence it is known for, and I feel honored that my children are lucky enough to attend SSA!

Posted September 13, 2013

I have to start by saying, I am absolutely in love with this school! I was worried that with such a strong focus on academics, the level of nurturing my 2nd and 3rd grader would receive might be sacrificed, but that is the farthest thing from the truth. The teachers are amazing and communicate constantly with us, but they also push them to excel and teach in a way they always understand. My husband and I have kids in SSA Elementary, Middle, and High School, and I don't have a single complaint with any of them. It might be a large workload for some kids and parents, but they are setting our children up for excellence! I highly recommend this school!

Posted September 13, 2013

We have 5 kids in this school and I like it better and better every year we are there. At first I was a little skeptical...their curriculum is more advanced than most schools in Tucson...would my kids be behind? They cater lunch and you have to order it the month prior, they don't have lockers and have tons of books, they have quite a few foreign teachers...would my kids be able to understand them??? But I have been more than pleased! If your child isn't hard working, or just wants to go to school for social hour, or wants to get a sports scholarship, this is not the school for you. It is a college prep school, so even from Kindergarten they are prepping the kids for collegiate success. They teach cultural diversity, and gangs/violence, drinking and drugs are pretty much non-existent there...sadly you can't say that about many schools here in Tucson.

Posted September 12, 2013

This school can provide a great math education from grades 4 and up if you child excells in math.

Posted September 6, 2013

This is our first year. 4 kids in grades k, 2, 4 & 6. Extremely impressed with all teachers and staff. The curriculum is outstanding across all subjects. 4th week of school & ALL kids are happy & excited daily. Clubs are fun. Teachers have visited our home & this makes a good, lasting impression on the kids. Have raised 3 older children (now adults) while we traveled the world in the Navy and feel the cultural diversity among teachers/staff and students here at SSA helps my children develop a better and richer understanding of the differences we all have and how we all work together for excellence in education. I believe SSA is an asset to our family in that we are both committed to the education and happiness of our children. I can attest that my kindergartener is much farther along in her academic studies right now than the 3 older kids were (in comparison to the public school they attended for kindergarten). This is the first year in 3 years where my academically advanced 6th grader is coming home happy with school and friends. All of my 4 children are academically advanced and SSA is the right choice for their education and happiness.

Posted September 5, 2013

Great charter school! Begins at preschool and goes up to 12th grade. Strong focus on Science and Math, but the children are also challenged in Language Arts and Spanish or Turkish. Teachers are well educated and caring and have great leadership and direction from the principal. Students receive positive points for good acts and behavior which is refreshing instead of focusing on negative acts and behaviors although those are dealt with as well. Parental involvement is high at this small community charter school. My husband and I have all four of our childen here.

Posted September 4, 2013

I love SonoranScience Academy because the teachers are willing to work extra for our kids sometimes without been paid. Besides most of the kids are amazing and work very hard.

Posted September 4, 2013

This charter school has the most dedicated group of teachers I have ever heard of at any school, including private schools. Teachers offer free after-school tutoring, and some teachers even offer free tutoring on weekends. At any given school event you will likely find 90% or more of the teachers and administrators in attendance to support the students. I have had children at this school since 2004 and am extremely pleased with the quality of education my children receive.

Posted September 3, 2013

SSA has some incredible teachers who have a passion for their subject and excel at teaching. But others aren't teaching their field of expertise, seem to dislike kids and can't effectively teach students. There aren't issues with drugs or gangs. The student body is diverse and has a high level of acceptance. There aren't lockers and most teachers require dedicated notebooks, folders and sometimes binders. Add lunch, a waterbottle, PE clothes and you have a huge, heavy backpack. My child's back aches. The school board sets rules with no parental input. SSA likes to brag about the awards students have won, but more than once they've stretched the truth. This is the fifth year my child has been in MS/HS. The first year I was amazed by staff. They hosted get-togethers and kids were encouraged to hang out before and after school. It wasn't just a school-it was a community and a true partnership. That's long gone. Each year brings more rules and SSA is no longer welcoming or interested in fostering a community. Students are not allowed in the buildings until five minutes before school starts, and must leave as soon as school lets out, unless they are in a club or tutoring.

Posted August 22, 2013

I have 2 children that attend the elementary school. We have been extremely pleased with the extracurricular activities offered and with the academics. The teachers and staff have been wonderful to work with and put our children first. Highly recommend!!!!

Posted August 20, 2013

We have two kids at SSA. One is in K, and the other is in 1st grade. We are all-around pleased with the instruction and care that our children have received at the school. Our son learned much from his K teacher who is now our daughter's teacher. We were delighted by his math acquisition last year. So far, we are happy with his 1st grade teacher's emphasis on reading. He is quite happy too. Our son has responded well to both his K and 1st grade teachers. Our daughter adores her K teacher. One of the pleasant surprises last year was the music program. The music teacher did an excellent job working with the kids. I should also mention that we are very pleased with school's response in addressing some fine motor issues that became apparent in the spring. The sped coordinator moved swiftly when we requested that a full developmental assessment be conducted of our son. They did the assessment and identified some weaknesses and worked with us to create a plan of action, which is currently in play. We feel that we have clear communication coming from our kids' teachers and feel that the accelerated curriculum works well for our kids.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 6% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 20%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 15% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 85% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of Arizona
Northern Arizona University
Arizona State University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Excelling Label from AZ Department of Ed. (2013)
  • rom AZ Department of Ed. (2012)
  • rom AZ Department of Ed. (2011)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Bronze Congressional Medal (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

Arts & music

• Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:15am
School end time
  • 3:15pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Adnan Doyuran
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
  • Turkish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Drama
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom