Posted March 12, 2015
My child has been attending SSA for three years and all I can say is that this school has been an inspiration for my child to reach his goals and to keep trying. Now my child has learned and taken interests in subjects he never took interest before in. Overall, SSA is a great school I would recommend it to anybody.

Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson 4

Posted March 11, 2015
My experience at Sonoran school was great! This school is safe, nurturing, diverse and has great teachers and staff. I have a daughter who graduated from the school 3 years ago, a senior son who will graduate this May and my youngest will attend this fall. I like to mention that the teachers at the school is very encouraging, they push the kids to reach their potential. The best thing that I like about this school is that the parents get to involve in every aspect of their kids education.

Posted March 08, 2015
It's a great school for every kid with an exceptional education values and lots of other stuff

Posted March 04, 2015
This is our second year at Sonoran Science Academy. We've been very happy with this school. This school is extremely challenging and the majority of the teachers are highly qualified and very good. They have very high standards which most students will rise to. We have found the administration and the teachers very supportive and receptive to parental input. The teachers try to make their subjects exciting and interesting, and while my child does not enjoy the sometimes heavy homework load, he is always happy and excited about what he learned in class. The other wonderful thing about this school is that it has a very open and accepting atmosphere. There are students from all different ethnic backgrounds and walks of life at this school and there is a general feeling of tolerance and respect among staff and students. Included in the curriculum is a class called "Character Education" which teaches students (basically) how to be decent humans. It deals with bullying, how to work in groups, how to solve interpersonal problems, how to handle strong emotions, etc. ALL schools should teach that!
3 people found this helpful

Posted February 28, 2015
My daughter has been at SSA for 6 years, and she enjoys going to school and takes her academic work seriously. The teachers at this school are so involved and dedicated. They take the time and make sure your child gets the help they need. They may be stricter than most schools but I think it teaches our children discipline and structure, gets them prepared for the college and real world. Many thanks to a great team of educators. If you want education to be the focus send your scholars here.

Posted February 27, 2015
As the parent of one of the students here, I can say with complete confidence that this is a school with a great environment and is full of teachers that encourage students to reach their full potential. I believe Sonoran Science Academy does a superb job at preparing its students for college. If you are a parent, please consider visiting this school to invest in the future of your children's education.

Posted February 17, 2015
Sonoran Science Academy-Tucson provides exceptional education to its students. It not only provides most rigorous STEAM programs but also accommodates all types of learners. Skill based grouping helps challenge every child at their own level. With around 20 AP classes, Foreign Languages, Dual Enrollment College credit opportunities, Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Focus, small class size and over 35 extracurricular after school clubs including competitive athletics programs, SSA-T provides well rounded education. It is best experience for your students.

Posted February 17, 2015
I love the personal attention my children have received at SSA-Tucson. The small class sizes, caring teachers, and rigorous curriculum have really set my children up to succeed academically in college. My eldest child partipated in the Robotics program for 4 years and took a variety of challenging courses in math, science and computers that emphasised practical applications and labs. He is now working on his degree in Computer Sciences at the UA. My middle child benefited from the numerous AP courses and is working on her Liberal Arts degree in New York City. My youngest will graduate this year and benefited most from from the amazing art program and focus on critical thinking in the AP social studies program where he participated in numerous formal and informal debates and discussions. He is now considering Pre-Law and philosophy majors in various Liberal Arts schools in the Pacific Northwest. This school was the best choice for my three very different children.

Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson 3

Posted May 14, 2014
I'm disappointed in the direction that this school has taken. The school had done very well with state testing in previous years and then changed its curriculum despite the fact that the previous curriculum had served the students well. The school's over-eagerness to jump on the Common Core bandwagon has made me realize that the school wasn't wedded to its previous curriculum and thus doesn't appear to have a core identity when it comes to pedagogy (ironically).The school has gone overboard with the Spalding phonics instruction (as though learning how Romalda Spalding pronounced "gy" is an important end in and of itself rather than sensibly using phonics as a tool to read, not an end). The math worksheets this year were tedious. I'm not convinced that the school is a good setting to inspire learning and curiosity. The quality of teaching is spotty, but probably better than your average Tucson public school. There are several nice academically-oriented clubs. Overall, the parents and students are nice.

Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson 2

Posted May 09, 2014
I'm a senior at Sonoran Science Academy, a supposed 9/10" school. This is far from the truth. The school lacks an adequate field or cafeteria. The teacher quality is slowly declining as SSA pushes the good teachers out by implementing salary cuts. Several decent teachers this year will not be returning and will likely be replaced by people that should not even be called "teachers." All of the replacements thus far, in my 6 years here, have been horrid. Aside from the Spanish replacement (who is also leaving this year), the other ones have been incapable of teaching, either having erratic changes in plans, personality disorders, or they simply have no idea how to teach. I have to admit that through my high schools I have learned next to nothing in English or computers. There has yet to be a computer science teacher that comes into the class knowing about the subject beforehand. All of them have learned WITH US; that is not how a class should be run. The English department thus far has two decent teachers, though one may leave. The teachers who know their subjects are okay at teaching and willing to help students who need help, which is why I gave two rather than one star.

Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson
2325 W Sunset Rd, Tucson, AZ  85741
Last modified Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 198 reviews. Top