Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson 1

Posted June 02, 2015
I have just recently graduated from this school after attending for 5 years. These past years have been full of ups and downs but overall my parents and I have been very disappointed. I am going to attend the University of Arizona in the fall and I feel like I have never had an adequate year of English, despite the 2 years of AP English I took. I also have no foundation of physics or chemistry because the teachers have been so incompetent. I have never seen the 2 most recent principals interact with students and the college counseling I "received" was an absolute joke. Our college counselor let his personal feelings towards students interfere with his work ethic and I felt personally attacked by him my entire senior year. Granted, there were a few teachers who I personally thanked because they truly cared about their students and I felt I received a good education from them. Both of my history teachers had a genuine knowledge of their subject (not something I can say for all teachers at this school). The AP level math classes I took more than prepared me for college. The teacher is wonderful and had a way of explaining things to me that I didn't think I could ever understand. He truly cared for all his students and was one of the most beneficial classes I've taken in my high school career. Another amazing teacher who truly cared for her students was my biotechnology and AP environmental science teacher. Despite my lack of knowledge in chemistry because of previous teachers, she never gave up and dedicated much of her time to catch us up. Unfortunately, all of the terrible teachers and administrators outweigh the few above-and-beyond teachers I had. I would advise any parent to look elsewhere when finding a school for their child.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 01, 2015
It's different every year; this is tough to assess when there is so much change.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 01, 2015
All of it has been manageable so far. Kids have more to learn now than when I was in school, so there is going to be more or more difficult work, but it's up to us parents to teach them how to manage their time and get it done.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
Yes. All you have to do is go look a the art and robotics displays or go to some of the competitions to see that.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
Yes, but, like I said, not all kids are alike, and some take longer than others to respond.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted June 01, 2015
I think the general atmosphere is very warm and encouraging; that kind of atmosphere fosters more kindness and compassion.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
I think the teachers generally treat the students in a positive but fair way. However, kids are not all the same, and so those who respond to fair (and sometimes soft) methods will do well, and those that require great discipline may not.

Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson 1

Posted May 29, 2015
I would like to inform all of the members of this community that this school has its staff members post positive reviews so that it may remain operable. It also occasionally bribes students and parents into doing it as well-and not just positive reviews, FIVE STAR reviews. I am saying this because I was one of the people who this happened to. The staff would approach me and request I post a positive review for the school. I could talk forever about the things wrong with this school, but I’ll leave everyone with this: this school is full of racism, staff members who only care about money, and an unmatched level of disorganization throughout. Enroll your children with caution.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 22, 2015
the staff themselves are dishonest so how do you expect the students to learn honesty? also, the racism in this school is an actual issue, so no, there is no fairness.

Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson 5

Posted May 18, 2015
It is clear that parents would like to provide their children with the best education. Sonoran Science Academy is a nationally high ranking school and it ranked as the 6th in the state. Having said that it is still not possible to please every student and their parents. Once some of their wishes or demands are not accepted by teachers or administration, they start complaining about it. Having some parents write imaginary sentences to the school review does not change the reality. Sonoran Science Academy is still ranking as one of the best schools in the state and nation. I am glad my son and daughter are students at Sonoran Science Academy. My elder daughter graduated from SSA last year.

2325 W Sunset Rd, Tucson, AZ  85741
Last modified Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 147 reviews. Top