Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Posted April 13, 2016
The Kindergarten is terrible. The teacher sends daily tattle-tale reports. The teacher accused my son of vandalism for writing on his desk one time. The teacher sends daily behavior (conformity) reports. My son had strait A's until after Rodeo Break when the kids starting sitting around waiting for year-end testing. After favorable reports all year the teacher starting harassing my son with a constant barrage of bad reports for things like "played water bottle was a gun"?????????????????????Really Teacher moved her own son to a different school. My 6th grader was denied a spot in the Soccer Club after 5 years of playing in Club Sports, because the coach had a diversity quota to meet.

Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson 5

Posted August 03, 2015
Have 4 kids attending - excellent school they might not be organized but they are short staff like every school in tucson. If you need baby sitter this is not the school for your children. This school focuses on independent thinkers and students that have and want to learn.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 03, 2015
My children get approximately 2 to 3 hours of homework a day. It challenges students just right.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 03, 2015
It's the one of the few schools that has integrity. They are fair and when parents/ students don't like it, they throw tantrums

Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson 2

Posted June 30, 2015
This school is quite complicated. On one hand, it purports itself as STEM, with an emphasis on robotics, challenging science courses, and high levels of math. While the robotics program is solid and the uppermost math classes are very good, the science in 'science academy' lacks. Many classes barely do labs; some supposedly advertise 'project-based learning' that neither students nor parents feel has been implemented in any meaningful or effective way. They have also done away with many high-level science classes for the sake of streamlining their budget and catering to student demand. Additionally, there is instability among the staff. They are on their third administration in five years, and teacher turnover is extremely high; the staff often feels put upon with all of their assorted duties, and the general feeling among students is that their administration does not care for them unless their money or their online reviews of the school are at stake.

Posted June 15, 2015
i am currently in 11th grade at this school .This school is a joke. They are clearly not interested in us kids. I am looking to attend another school in the area. This school has a handful of good teachers. As for the others they should not be teachers.

Posted June 02, 2015
I have just recently graduated from this school after attending for 5 years. These past years have been full of ups and downs but overall my parents and I have been very disappointed. I am going to attend the University of Arizona in the fall and I feel like I have never had an adequate year of English, despite the 2 years of AP English I took. I also have no foundation of physics or chemistry because the teachers have been so incompetent. I have never seen the 2 most recent principals interact with students and the college counseling I "received" was an absolute joke. Our college counselor let his personal feelings towards students interfere with his work ethic and I felt personally attacked by him my entire senior year. Granted, there were a few teachers who I personally thanked because they truly cared about their students and I felt I received a good education from them. Both of my history teachers had a genuine knowledge of their subject (not something I can say for all teachers at this school). The AP level math classes I took more than prepared me for college. The teacher is wonderful and had a way of explaining things to me that I didn't think I could ever understand. He truly cared for all his students and was one of the most beneficial classes I've taken in my high school career. Another amazing teacher who truly cared for her students was my biotechnology and AP environmental science teacher. Despite my lack of knowledge in chemistry because of previous teachers, she never gave up and dedicated much of her time to catch us up. Unfortunately, all of the terrible teachers and administrators outweigh the few above-and-beyond teachers I had. I would advise any parent to look elsewhere when finding a school for their child.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 01, 2015
It's different every year; this is tough to assess when there is so much change.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 01, 2015
All of it has been manageable so far. Kids have more to learn now than when I was in school, so there is going to be more or more difficult work, but it's up to us parents to teach them how to manage their time and get it done.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
Yes. All you have to do is go look a the art and robotics displays or go to some of the competitions to see that.

2325 W Sunset Rd, Tucson, AZ  85741
Last modified Sonoran Science Academy - Tucson is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.