Academy Of Tucson Middle School

Charter | 5-8

Posted January 10, 2012

I had my 6th grade son read the negative reviews for the middle school made by some of the parents and students against the certain staff and administration. He thinks many of the comments were hog wash. The one reason why students are told to stay off of the sidewalks so they do not horse around and break their ankles and other bones. One day my son forgot his lunch which the principal kindly paid for few items from the snack bar. When he is sick, he is allowed to call home to request a pick up. My son is struggling a bit in some subjects, but overall, this school is an excellent choice for parents to send their child there.

Posted December 14, 2011

I have had several children in this school for years now. It continues to be an outstanding school with caring and capable teachers and staff. I will continue to recommend this school to anybody.

Posted November 18, 2011

Without reservations I would recommend this school for its excellent staff and appropriate curriculum. On every occasion when I have observed the teachers I have been impressed by their professional conduct and concern for the students.. Do not be swayed by the grievances of a couple of malcontents who most likely would be malcontents in any environment. I encourage all interested parents to schedule a visit to the school and observe the exceptional academic environment for themselves.

Posted November 4, 2011

My son has been at AOT since 1st grade and I couldn"t be happier. He is challanged to be a good citizen, have good grades while still being allowed to be a child. As a boy he is clumsey adn ther are times that he has come home with an injury but after talking to him and to administration I find out that he has not bothered to tell anyone about it until he arrives at home. The times that he has reported that he has an injury or is not feeling well I have always been notified and made aware of the situation. I have complete trust in all of the staff at AOT and am very glad that they have an assistant principal who can help with the duties of the principal. I know that they care about my child adn his well being.

Posted October 25, 2011

If you are looking for a great school with challenging academics, Academy of Tucson is a good choice. We have been with this district since Kindergarten and are now at the Middle School. We are very pleased with the education our children are receiving. Is the school perfect? No, none are - but we have been very satisfied with the administration's attentiveness to any concerns that have come up over the years. The faculty and staff are very caring and want to see the kids learn and achieve high standards. The smaller class size allows the teachers to really know the students individual needs. Visit the school and see the difference for yourself. I spent a lot of time researching curriculum and visiting schools before making a decision and Academy stood out among the options. We are so pleased to be here!

Posted October 24, 2011

We have been in many types of school environments and we are very happy at Academy of Tucson. I think it is important to remember when choosing a school that every school has people in it and so you will never find a "perfect" school. I like that the teachers, principle and parents at Academy are trying to create community of parents who want to do the best for their children. I've always been able to bring concerns to the staff and be heard. It's a good group of people trying to make a difference in the education system. I support that!

Posted March 25, 2011

1 word- AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! way better that Tucson Country Day School(worst school ever by the way) send your kid here.

Posted June 17, 2010

The principal is excellent....& fun. Most of the teachers I've met really care about the students. Sure they can be tough & some teachers have personality issues that may not mesh well with all students. My daughter got stuck with a teacher she didn't appreciate in 6th & really struggled in every area....but just like the real world....I let her tough it out & she blossomed the next yr like crazy. We're not going to like everything that happens to our kids & I don't always appreciate the decisions that the admin makes, but I deal. For example: new campus will house grades 5th - 8th for 2010-11.....this will be "interesting". I consider the alternatives around Tucson....and I keep coming back to AOTMS. AOTMS offers a quality education, small class sizees on a safe campus. Parent involvement is key & much appreciated by me.

Posted April 6, 2010

This was a great school but over the past 2 years it is going downhill fast. Think twice about sending your child. The High school is great but the middle school is no longer a school you would want to send your child.

Posted January 21, 2010

I have to say that I'm really impressed with this school. I have 3 children still at home--1 in elementary, 1 in middle, and 1 in high school--all at the Academy of Tucson. The middle school is very supportive and the teachers and staff are great! But I must say that I am very impressed with the principal as well.

Posted August 16, 2009

i went to this school for 1 year and i thought that it was the worst school year of my life. this school does have bullies and when someone tries to tell we get in trouble. and they push you so hard on homework and schoolwork. some of the teachers were nice but then again some of them were really mean. i recommend enrolling your child in a different school. because i have allready wasted one year here.

Posted August 12, 2009

My kid went to the academy for 1 year. While I think she learned a lot it was an overall bad experence. If you are planning on going to this school, make sure your childs personality is in sinc with the teachers! Cuz if it isn't... your in for a bumpy ride!

Posted August 4, 2009

I would definitely say that this school is above average. Most of my friends go to a public school and I can tell that I've learned way more things than them even if they're older than me. Many kids who have gone to this school are very smart. Even if some students are mad about not being able to hug, or dress code, or the dances, i think that this school is great. I have also been recommending this school to my friends. :)

Posted June 4, 2009

I have just completed 8th grade at AOTMS and I must say I am very disappointed in this school. It s sad when a school cannot keep up with its student's needs such as new textbooks, replacing broken desks and locks for the bathroom stalls. Most of the teachers are great! However, some teachers do not have the supplies they need to teach, or do not want to do their job. It was a great school two years ago, but then it went downhill. I highly recommend researching another school before enrolling your child in this one.

Posted June 1, 2009

We have been with the AOT system since 4th grade and have just completed 8th. While there are numerous positive aspects to the middle school they also have more than their share of negative drawbacks. It is highlighted that there is seperate PE for boys and girls-never occurred in our 3 years. The computer teacher -Mrs. Ursiny in one word: EXCELLENT! Communication between admin and parents was poor unless you were in their space daily. The dress code is laughable as there seemed to be much leway depending on whom the student(s) was. Personal accountability was also a questionable term. Thankfully this year they finally had a qualified spanish teacher- sadly, he is not returning. Do your home work before you commit

Posted May 26, 2009

My child has been in the AoT system since third grade and has just finished eith grade. The education she has received has been outstanding and the experience was much better than the TUSD experience of K-2nd. Every teach she had was excellent, especially Mrs. Hughes.

Posted May 23, 2009

My child just completed her 8th grade year at AoT Middle School. She had attended for all three years. During her time at AoT, I believe she received an excellent education. She was challenged in all her classes, and I feel she is now ready for the challenge of highschool. I want to thank the wonderful teachers, administrative staff and parents for making this such a wonderful school. This is a great alternative to the big, overwhelming and sometimes impersonal public middle schools.

Posted May 22, 2009

I am very happy with aotms. Mr. Creenan is a wonderful and fair teacher with very high expectations. This was our first year at the middle school and am looking forward to my next child going there! We love the school and the staff!

Posted May 22, 2009

I am extremely happy with this school. My daughter thinks her teacher, Mr. Silverman, is great. I appreciated that I could E-mail him about any questions and her class only had 16 students. My daughter was at another school and blended into the woodwork . She was so lost she tried to hide. She is flourishing at AOT and is much more enthusiastic. At this school you can't hide. The teachers won't let you get away with not learning. I am impressed with her increased reading and writing skills and scores on standardized tests. I also like the principal. He is very enthusiastic and really cares about the kids. My daughter doesn't like the dress code, but I like the modesty.

Posted May 4, 2009

This school is horrible. The teachers get worked up about everything. We just recently made up a rule that we are not aloud to hug people but the funny thing is that I see teachers hugging students. We have to much homework compared to other schools and its very stressful. If you are reading this and thinking about going to this school, you will regret it so much. I hate it. Also, there sport selection is very bad.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7310 E. 22nd Street