Academy Of Tucson Middle School

Charter | 5-8

Posted August 22, 2014

This school is amazing! There are many activities like sports or yearbook club. Most parents are saying they are upset about no P.E. Well the 2014-2015 school year now has a P.E. teacher. Mr Kelleman is awesome too. There is also a new office helper rather than Mrs. Whitby which is Mrs. Thorns.. Also we have google chrome books now and each student has their own email. We use the chrome books for typing or researching.In my opinion Mr. Moore, Mrs. Creenan, and Mrs. Bujedo are the best. Some sports are volleyball, flag football, soccer, softball, and boys and girls basketball. I am in 8th grade and very happy here. Also most parents complain about the small school but it isn't our fault. We used to be where Emily gray is. Emily gray thought the school was worn down so we bought it from them. Back then they had swamp cooling and it was falling apart and they fixed it up. Later emily gray came in the middle of the night and decided they liked the way we fixed it so they bought it back. They gave us 1 YEAR to get out so we did. By March we finally found this location which was decent. We fixed it up and wasted all that money. So don't compain to us because we barely had any time at all

Posted July 24, 2014

Academy of Tucson is the best school I have ever gone to. The care about my education, the make everything fun, but still educational, we have great people to associate, we were given Chrome books to use in classes, for a day. It is just fun for any one who cares about there education. Mr. Speta is very clear with the guide lines, which makes it even better, so we know we are all treated equal. The teachers are always out to help, and amazing. They come up with the best field trips, 5th grade goes to Mount Lemon, 6th grade has gone to Sea World Or the Aquarium in Phoenix, 7th grade does to fort lone tree, And 8th grade goes to Disney land and 8th grade picnic.(in the past).

Posted June 1, 2014

I would recommend AOT. AOT is a safe bully free environment where kids are free to reach their potential academically. The principal Mr. Speta is a leader of leaders. He is not just an authority figure, but also a coach, partner, and motivator. He is a collaborative leader who does not stay in his office all day. He visits the classrooms, directs traffic (in the parking lot and in the breezeway) and makes himself accessible to the staff and the students. The teachers are incredible and they believe that each child can be a successful student. Mr. Moore brought life to social studies and kept my son interested. Ms. Creenan made math a fun and powerful learning experience. Ms. Moseley taught them about art and how to express themselves in a variety of positive ways. There are more wonderful teachers with so much to offer the students. AOT utilizes Familylink website to keep the family apprised of the student s grades. The highly qualified teachers who are dedicated to create and keep a healthy parent-teacher partnership. AOT encourages families and the community to get involved. There are various ways families can contribute, including a few organized volunteer groups.

Posted March 12, 2014

My son's 8th grade year is his first year at AoT, and we are very grateful for such a good experience. We were in private school up until this year, and have had positive experiences in all areas, from academics to extra curricular activities. Staff is very open to communication and cares about my son's success in school. This has been a great experience for us. Very nice families, too.

Posted January 15, 2014

I love this school! I think the previous parent is spot on about the Principal. He smiles at my kids in the morning when I drop them off, he is in the parking lot at the end of the day to see them go. He has assembled a great teaching staff. What I also like about this school is the teachers will call you if their is a concern. At our last school we found out at report card time, that is not the time to learn this.

Posted September 18, 2013

Academy of Tucson Middle School is a great school. My daughter has attended the Academy since the third grade and her grades, self esteem and willingness to learn has improved greatly. The office staff at the middle school is always their to help and assist with the kids and parents at any given time. The teachers are so dedicated in their jobs by being open with the kids whenever they need special assistance as well with the parents when corresponding via email or in person. The true leader and principal, Mr. Spata, is incredibly dedicated. He is always involved with the kids and the kids respect him so much. He has been a great addition to this most wonderful charter school in Tucson. Mr. Spata is always the first staff member at school and always the last one to leave his demeanor towards helping the kids learn and making it possible for all of the students to succeed. Major Kudos to Mr. Spata.

Posted August 31, 2013

Why doesn't this school have a PE teacher or a computer teacher? They offered both of these courses a few years ago. It's simple really. When you can get the existing teachers to fill in and teach these classes why go back to the old system? It's a business. Pure and simple. The students don't need to learn computers. We need to go back to the good old days...before computers were invented.

Posted August 27, 2013

I would rather have our children learning critical thinking skills, than computer skills. If the last parent would have looked in some of the classrooms for the middle school they would have seen the "missing computers". We have had four children grow up through the AOT school system, academically they are ahead. You do not have to beleave me, look at the list of top 20 school districts. AOT has been on this list for years. All three schools are "A" rated according to the state. We do not have children at the elementary school this year, but the parents we know who do still love it. If you wish a computer to teach your child, these schools are not for you, if you want a child who can think, then AOT is your school.

Posted August 14, 2013

I am really sorry that the school has taken computers out of the school and I don't understand why they did it. These children are at an age where they should be learning something on the computer other than games and Facebook. NO computers for the elementary school or the middle school. WOW!

Posted September 14, 2012

This is an excellent choice for parents who drive through the carpool lane in the morning and drive back through in the afternoon and that is their involvement in their child's education. However, if you want to be kept informed of your child's progress and be treated with respect when there is an issue, you might want to reconsider your choice of schools.

Posted August 16, 2012

This school does not deserve five stars. It is mediocre and the location is terrible.

Posted August 15, 2012

We love this school, we have great teachers and a great principal. Mr. & Mrs. Creenam are awesome teachers!

Posted August 14, 2012

We are new to the area, but love this school. The principal seems to run a tight ship. I think this is great as my children need the structure. My daughter has a very hard time with math, he sat us down and said that she needed to work harder to catch up to where she needed to be, I appreciated that he took the time to personally go over her test results honestly. I also love the math teacher, she does not tell my daughter to skip the hard problems like at our last school.

Posted August 14, 2012

We love this school! My kids love it, while it may be small, the district is small, but they are in the top 3% of school districts according to the Department of Education for the state of Arizona, For the parent who said that they do not offer a challenging curriculum explain my child's exceeding AIMS scores and the rest in the class room. Also another note to the parent who said its a "bad neighborhood". I live in the neighborhood, the Eastside of Tucson is not a bad or rough area so where are you getting this from? Finally we have a new principle this year, he complements an already great staff. Go Cougars -ROAR!

Posted August 4, 2012

I have never understood why anyone would keep their child in a school that they don't like or are unhappy with. If you are unhappy with the school your child is attending, then remove them and take them someplace else! In AZ you have so many choices!! I disagree with the last poster. The Academy is challenging, and the school has a friendly and caring staff. As far as the child not feeling well, I have volunteered many hours in the school office. I know for a fact that if the student is truly sick they are sent home. There are many students that try to get out of school at this age level. I'm not saying this was the case, but we have to have trust in the staff when it comes to them caring for our children while in school. There is a difference between not feeling well and being sick. Allergies, a cold, or an upset stomach often make us all not feel well, but does not warrant going home. Having a symptom like that along with a fever is different. I hope those that read these posts realize that they are each person's own OPINION, including mine. I'm looking forward to being at the Academy as a volunteer again this year. I feel this year is going to be better than ever!

Posted June 24, 2012

This school is with out a doubt one of the worst schools in Tucson. This school does not have challenging academic progams, or an effective teaching style. Also, the location of this school negatively effected my child's experience. First off my child was forced to run in the parking lot of the school! This is not a safe place for children to be running with or without supervision. And lastly, I expected my child to be treated with the same respect that he gave the staff. However when my child hadn't been feeling the best I told him to check in with me, so when he went to the front office to call home, he was denied. After various incidents during the school year I decided to take my child out and put them in a healthier environment. We are much happier where we are now, no thanks to the Academy.

Posted May 29, 2012

Lots of changes are happening for the 2012-13 school year at the middle school. Even though some people are upset about the changes, I view them as a GOOD thing. These changes will bring the school back to it's original reason for being - ACADEMICS! Their use of a student planner is a postitive step in helping to keep the parents up to speed with the students grade weekly, allowing it to be difficult for student to fall behind. There is daily homework in most classes. Getting homework done and turned in on time is expected. Although the school relocated to an area that many were unhappy with (myself included), it hasn't changed the quality of education the students receive. There haven't been any problems based on it's new location. The school obtained an "A" rating from the state this year, one of only 19 schools in AZ (with only 5 being a charter school)! There will be a new principal next year. Change is always hard when you have become used to something. Yet, life is all about change and being able to adapt. I'm excited about what's to come! I have been very happy at the Academy of Tucson and feel it was one of the best decisions I ever made in enrolling my child there.

Posted May 9, 2012

I didn't like this school for several reasons. The location and facility itself has much to be desired. It is lacking in many areas. There is not an adequate sized field to play sports. The building itself seems cramped and small. It lacks a lunch room, a stage, a gymnasium. It seems to be lacking in up to date books too. The school is practically on 22nd St and traffic is terrible.Most of all, I would have liked and expected honesty from this administration about certain guest speakers and what they would be talking about - very disappointing.

Posted April 15, 2012

Academically this school is a fit for my children but not for a lot of the others they have admitted in the past couple of years since they moved to the new location. The location and the lack of open space is a problem we have tried to hard to overlook. If this school was not located on a terribly busy main street in an undesirable neighborhood and had a proper field to play sports and P.E. we would be continuing on. It is very bittersweet for us to be leaving after so many years but we held on longer than most all of the kids we started in kindergarten at AOT elemetary with. I am certain everyone would have stayed if the new school hadn't been put in this terrible location. It seems to be the at the root of all it's current problems. I have no complaints about the education my children have received.

Posted March 2, 2012

My child was extremely unhappy at this school. There were many reasons and I feel that they weren't properly addressed by this administration. I found a school more fitting with our values. My child has never been happier.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7310 E. 22nd Street