Public charter
Tucson, AZ

Posted February 01, 2015
The Academy of Tucson Middle School is one of the better middle schools in the state, as is ALL of the Academy of Tucson Schools. This can be seen by how the middle school consistantly earns awards and is rated by Arizona, this website and others like it. What is also true is the school does have very high academic and behavior standards. We think they have a great principal (Mr. Speda) and teaching staff. Since we have been associated with this school we been very happy with the progress of our kids. I have read some of the other reviews and they do not describe the school, the principal, or the teachers we know. We live just blocks away from the school, if these reviewers do not like the location of the school being on the Eastside of Tucson, go to a school on the South or Northside. You will not find a better school there.
15 people found this helpful

Academy Of Tucson Middle School 1

Posted January 28, 2015
Since this school ask that my previous post be taken down because it exposed the truth of their dirt, I will rephrase the truth in another way. At this school, my son was mistreated by two teachers because of his weight and race. One of them admitted to me and several others during a meeting that she mistreated him, bullied him, picked on him and isolated him; the other blamed him for her poor actions of her throwing his papers on the ground and making him pick them up humiliating him constantly in front of the other students for no reason. I'm glad I removed him from that school and I would never recommend that school to anyone!!! These teachers are not held accountable but the blame is typically placed on the parents and students only.

Posted January 24, 2015
I wish more parents would write in and share their good experiences since sites like this mostly generate the bad. I am a parent and had my child go to the Academy of Tucson Schools. My son absolutely loved it and flourished! The Academy schools are fantastic and continue to earn high ratings - not only among parents and students, but also among the state. I have never seen any teacher be mean, or cruel, to students in the 10 years in which I have been associated with the school. The students are also more welcoming than any other school we have ever experienced (being a military family we have moved a lot). I also have had no problem helping at the school whether in the classroom, or any other area that I was needed or willing. What I can say, is that there are parents that don't like their student/s being held accountable. Accountability is a life long lesson and the Academy of Tucson does a great job at teaching our children just how important it is. I have found that most of the parents that are disgruntled with the Academy of Tucson schools, have this issue.
14 people found this helpful

Posted September 28, 2014
I have two girls at the school and they just love it . They have a lot of activitys for the children and a great staff.The principal is very involved with all aspects of the school.As a parent I have been very happy with the school's comunication between theachers and parants
13 people found this helpful

Posted August 22, 2014
This school is amazing! There are many activities like sports or yearbook club. Most parents are saying they are upset about no P.E. Well the 2014-2015 school year now has a P.E. teacher. Mr Kelleman is awesome too. There is also a new office helper rather than Mrs. Whitby which is Mrs. Thorns.. Also we have google chrome books now and each student has their own email. We use the chrome books for typing or researching.In my opinion Mr. Moore, Mrs. Creenan, and Mrs. Bujedo are the best. Some sports are volleyball, flag football, soccer, softball, and boys and girls basketball. I am in 8th grade and very happy here. Also most parents complain about the small school but it isn't our fault. We used to be where Emily gray is. Emily gray thought the school was worn down so we bought it from them. Back then they had swamp cooling and it was falling apart and they fixed it up. Later emily gray came in the middle of the night and decided they liked the way we fixed it so they bought it back. They gave us 1 YEAR to get out so we did. By March we finally found this location which was decent. We fixed it up and wasted all that money. So don't compain to us because we barely had any time at all
14 people found this helpful

Posted July 24, 2014
Academy of Tucson is the best school I have ever gone to. The care about my education, the make everything fun, but still educational, we have great people to associate, we were given Chrome books to use in classes, for a day. It is just fun for any one who cares about there education. Mr. Speta is very clear with the guide lines, which makes it even better, so we know we are all treated equal. The teachers are always out to help, and amazing. They come up with the best field trips, 5th grade goes to Mount Lemon, 6th grade has gone to Sea World Or the Aquarium in Phoenix, 7th grade does to fort lone tree, And 8th grade goes to Disney land and 8th grade picnic.(in the past).
9 people found this helpful

Posted June 01, 2014
I would recommend AOT. AOT is a safe bully free environment where kids are free to reach their potential academically. The principal Mr. Speta is a leader of leaders. He is not just an authority figure, but also a coach, partner, and motivator. He is a collaborative leader who does not stay in his office all day. He visits the classrooms, directs traffic (in the parking lot and in the breezeway) and makes himself accessible to the staff and the students. The teachers are incredible and they believe that each child can be a successful student. Mr. Moore brought life to social studies and kept my son interested. Ms. Creenan made math a fun and powerful learning experience. Ms. Moseley taught them about art and how to express themselves in a variety of positive ways. There are more wonderful teachers with so much to offer the students. AOT utilizes Familylink website to keep the family apprised of the student s grades. The highly qualified teachers who are dedicated to create and keep a healthy parent-teacher partnership. AOT encourages families and the community to get involved. There are various ways families can contribute, including a few organized volunteer groups.

Posted March 12, 2014
My son's 8th grade year is his first year at AoT, and we are very grateful for such a good experience. We were in private school up until this year, and have had positive experiences in all areas, from academics to extra curricular activities. Staff is very open to communication and cares about my son's success in school. This has been a great experience for us. Very nice families, too.
8 people found this helpful

Posted January 15, 2014
I love this school! I think the previous parent is spot on about the Principal. He smiles at my kids in the morning when I drop them off, he is in the parking lot at the end of the day to see them go. He has assembled a great teaching staff. What I also like about this school is the teachers will call you if their is a concern. At our last school we found out at report card time, that is not the time to learn this.

Posted September 18, 2013
Academy of Tucson Middle School is a great school. My daughter has attended the Academy since the third grade and her grades, self esteem and willingness to learn has improved greatly. The office staff at the middle school is always their to help and assist with the kids and parents at any given time. The teachers are so dedicated in their jobs by being open with the kids whenever they need special assistance as well with the parents when corresponding via email or in person. The true leader and principal, Mr. Spata, is incredibly dedicated. He is always involved with the kids and the kids respect him so much. He has been a great addition to this most wonderful charter school in Tucson. Mr. Spata is always the first staff member at school and always the last one to leave his demeanor towards helping the kids learn and making it possible for all of the students to succeed. Major Kudos to Mr. Spata.

Academy Of Tucson Middle School
7310 E. 22nd Street, Tucson, AZ  85710
Last modified Academy Of Tucson Middle School is a Charter school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Academy Of Tucson Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 81 reviews. Top