Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

How can there be leadership when there is just one person to report to?

Be careful when selecting a charter school. Do your research. Mary Lou Klem is very manipulative and is in this only for the money. This school will accept any child, any time of year whether it's a good fit or not . The state gives charters 3,000 a year, per child. Mary Lou Klem's final sales pitch that made me enroll my daughter was the "trained, accredited support-staff" who would pull my daughter out of class for individual tutoring for math. I learned that this tutor was the janitor. My daughter would be pulled out of class to sit in a small room for an hour, and copy the answers in her work book from the teachers guide. She got a sticker from the janitor for each page she finished. I pulled her out immediately. Later, I learned from a former parent that the 2nd grade classroom went through 7 teachers in one year! Those poor children! The students were told they were too naughty and that's why the teachers wouldn't stay. The parents were told it was the teachers that was the problem. I'd say it's Klem. When you're looking for a school,ask about the teacher turnover rate. If it's high, run.

Mary Lou klem is the worst founder I have ever seen in a school she under pays employees. She also ignores phone calls, email about complaints from parent. She does not do get job at all and doesn't care about the children I believe she only cares about her self. I am still surprised the schools sarehe owns are still in business and I believe the only reason for that is because she does have some staff that truly care for the children's safty and the parent trust them. I wouldn't trust Mary Lou with my life or my children's life.

Wonderful school - Ms Klem is an amazing leader and her staff is excellent. We loved Ms. VanOlphen for 2nd to 3rd grade. Great school with small class sizes.

I'm sure a lot of these reviews are fake. This school had so much potential and wonderful teachers. The founder is a terrible leader. She is rude and runs teachers off left and right. She doesn't care about the parents. My two kids attended two years there. She never gave me the time of day whether I was voicing a concern or a compliment. I know many other parents who sent there kids there and many of the former teachers and have never heard a nice word about the administration. Why can't this school keep teachers? Because they are treated so poorly by the founder.

Oh My! Air and Space Academy is perfect. The founder is back and she is so knowledgeable about education and what an awesome leader she is. The school is back to the way it was before she left. My child has been here since first grade. The new shirts, planners, teachers, playground are Truly Remarkable! The new common core curriculum is challenging. The new math, science, reading and language programs are engaging, fun and just tremendous for our kids! The teachers are amazing. The office staff is amazing! Aviation and robotics instruction is lots of fun for the students. My children love getting up every morning and going to school. What a pleasure to be in this learning environment. The music teacher is really cool. WOW!!! Class size still at 18 per class very good. Computers in every classroom for easy student access and learning. Great calendar with half days on every other Friday. After school activities for less than a dollar a day. We are all in the positive plus ZONE!!! So glad the founder of this school IS BACK. Thank you!

Oh My! Air and Space Academy is perfect. The founder is back and she is so knowledgeable about education and what an awesome leader she is. The school is back to the way it was before she left. My child has been here since first grade. The new shirts, planners, teachers, playground are Truly Remarkable! The new common core curriculum is challenging and my kids love the Aero Space theme. The new math, science, reading and language programs are engaging, fun and just tremendous! The teachers are amazing. The office staff is amazing! Aviation and robotics instruction is lots of fun for the students. If you want a great education for your children - this is the school. My children love getting up every morning and going to school. What a pleasure to be in this learning environment. The music teacher is really cool. WOW!!! Class size still at 18 per class very good. Computers in every classroom for easy student access and learning. Great calendar with half days on every other Friday. After school activities for less than a dollar a day. We are all in the positive plus ZONE!!! So glad the founder is back with us this year. Thank you!

What a great place. Just in the short time my daughter has been enrolled she has learned so much. She surpises me everyday with something new. The teachers and staff are all on the same page and work fantastic together. Office runs smoothly, Couldnt ask for anything more for my child. Recommend!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful school year. The founder / principal this year is a fabulous educational leader and my children are working far above grade level. The vocabulary studies, math and aviation studies are just so engaging for my children. Thank you to this school and to the founder / administrator for transforming our learning experience into a life long gain in education for my children. There is NO teacher turn over this year. The whole school is happy and working together as a strong team. The students are very well mannered and love the PE and Music teachers. Band is great. Book Fair was lots of fun last week. Thank you to the dedicated parent volunteers. Leadership change School transformation. Excellent!

Wow. I'm not sure where this misinformation is coming from. My son graduated from there and got a 4.0 his freshman year in highschool, while taking two sophomore level classes. The most teachers I have seen in teaching a class through last year was three (my daughter's class) : the initial one left on maternity, the second had to move back to Phoenix for a family emergency, and the third finished the year. All I can figure is that some of the people on this site are going with the sour-grapes approach, or have an axe to grind. It's a great school, and one I would not hesitate to recommend. Generally, the only kids who have problems are the ones who have parents that aren't involved. This is a school, not a day care facility. If all you are looking for is someplace to drop off you kids, look elsewhere.

Last modified Air and Space Academy North is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.