Academy Of Tucson Elementary School

Charter | K-5 | 318 students

Posted October 3, 2013

The school needs to invest in fixing the situation at pick up. With a little time and money this mess could be fixed. It is a direct reflection of the lack of organization,drive, and leadership.

Posted August 13, 2013

There is obviously a problem with a school when it has such high turnover. There are many teachers who left for many reasons. One of the reasons is the lack of respect for the Administrator. It becomes very apparent to a staff when the person that you are working under does very little with their time. Teachers work extremely hard for their paychecks. A staff expects their superiors to work harder than they do, not significantly less.

Posted August 13, 2013

I asked a teacher why the turnover is so high at this school. I was suprised to find out that the teachers haven't had a raise in several years. This becomes hard to take when you must also take on the responsibilities of superiors who delegate their work load. It's shameful really. I pray things change.

Posted August 12, 2013

My children have been attending the Academy of Tucson for a number of years now. Although there are always things that we could nit pick about at any school our children attend, I would highly recommend this school. Though we are only a few days into the new year, my children are excited to come home and tell me about their day. Their teachers seem eager to be at school and are jumping into the year feet first with positive attitudes. This is a school that allows for parent involvement on a regular basis, extension field trips that add to the student learning, and opportunities for the students to excel academically. Sure the parking lot issue is tough, and traffic the first week seemed unbearable. But honestly it is worth it to me to wait in traffic a few extra minutes to make sure that all students are safe at dismissal. Remember nothing runs smoothly without practice. In no way is the traffic issue a reflection of poor leadership, the parking lot issues have been around long before this was AOTE. The principal is very approachable, he seems to have good rapport with his staff, parents, and students. This is a great community school that strives for excellence.

Posted August 12, 2013

I am amused by all the negative reviews. They all carry the same theme, almost as if they were written by the same person who has an axe to grind. Complaining about the parking situation on the first day of school is sheer lunacy. I suggest you check out the parking lots on some of the TUSD schools. My children have been going to AOT for the last 6 years. Currently one in 6th grade and one in 2nd grade. I throughly trust all the teachers at AOT. They are all high quality teachers. Yes some did leave over the summer. One moved because her husband got transferred to another city, another got a better paying position. Such is life. The current princial is the best we have had in the 6 years we have been here. He has the most open door policy I have seen. He is on the playground in the morning before school starts, you can make appointments to see him, he is at the monthly Parent Advisory Committee meetings. He even has a monthly Peter Piper Pizza day where you can meet with him off campus in a neutral setting to discuss any school business you want. I have not seen any other school official do that. I highly recommend this school.

Posted August 8, 2013

This school lacks leadership. This is reflected in pick up and parking procedures. It is reflected in the lack of professionalism of the administration. It is reflected in the teachers' lack of respect for the administration. Many of the parents that I have spoken with are not happy with the way things are being run at this school. Many of the teachers are frustrated as well.

Posted June 5, 2013

The kindergarten graduation ceremony was wonderful! The pride the principal and teachers have in their students showed through. Thank you all for your hard work with my kiddo!

Posted May 28, 2013

I saw this principal at an AOT graduation ceremony and was shocked at his casual appearance. As a professional representing a school, I would expect professional attire. Old jeans and an untucked shirt are far from that. This school used to take pride in the image it portrayed to the public.

Posted May 9, 2013

I have 2 children at this school. We enrolled them this year because the classroom sizes were suppose to be small and the education is suppose to be great. My son is in 3rd grade and carries a 20lb backpack home everyday (he weighs 60lbs). The teachers are rude and talk badly about the students and often yell at the kids for asking questions. The teachers seem to be uninterested in the students or thier success. The parking situation is horrible and is a reflection of the lack or organization and leadership of the principal and staff. I will be pulling my kids out this year and sending them to our local public school for it is better organized and has a principal that cares about her school and her own image.

Posted March 16, 2013

After researching several elementary schools, I have decided not to choose The Academy of Tucson. I was not impressed with my meeting with the Administration and I was not at all impressed with the school's website that publishes information with spelling errors. If they can't take a few minutes to proof read, it makes me wonder where else they fall short.

Posted September 25, 2012

Principals are leaders. i find it disconcerting that this principal chose as the banner photo on FB, a photo of himself standing next to a man holding a beer in his hand. The principal is smiling and giving the thumbs up sign. The man with the beer is a cardboard cut out of someone who is known to advertise a certain beer in commercials. Doesn't this principal realize that students look at these social network sites? That students look up to him and he has a responsibility to set certain examples. Where is the leadership here? Beyond disappointed. I'll be looking for a school that upholds our family's values. This obviously is not the one.

Posted July 19, 2012

I have children in both the elementary and middle school. I was very disappointed to see that the middle school principal was moved to the elementary school. I know that many of the teachers at the middle school were very unhappy with this principal. I hope that this decision doesn't negatively effect the elementary school. From what I've heard I'm afraid it will.

Posted April 16, 2012

I will also be pulling both of my children out of the school this year. This is our second year at the Academy. I have found the teachers hard to communicate with and the principal ineffective at best. The teachers are frustrated with her also. The lunch program is ridiculous. They have lunch catered due to no cafeteria and is approximately $5.00 per day! The children are required to eat under a ramada rather than indoors, unless it us raining or snowing. They also stand as a school in the morning on the basketball court to say the pledge and sing the school song. Even when the temperature is below freezing. The parking lot is also a disaster. It took me over ten minutes to drive through the lot to pick up my child. I agree with the other parent that the traffic directors try, but there are just too many people in too small a space. Part of the reSins I came to this school was because of the small classes expecting individual attention and do not feel that happens. I am also surprised by the amout of bullying that happens even though there is supposed to be zero tolerance.

Posted April 15, 2012

The most honest review I can give to this school is a mixed one. It used to be an outstanding school and education and I would have loved for all my kids to spend all their elementary years here. However, the past two years things have been sliding a little downward. Allthough most all of the teachers here are outstanding, many seem somewhat disgruntled and/or unhappy. The school which was once a wonderful academic and family envolved environment has added too many students and lost it's past character. It's over crowded parking lot seems like a catastrophe waiting to happen. The parking monitors help a lot but they can only do so much. I can't imagine it is legal to have so many cars jamming in a small 2 lane parking lot! As if the parking lot nightmare wasn't enough, pulling in and out of the school is a nightmare! The lunch program is sub par at best. It is still a good school but not nearly the academic environment it once was. I was one of it's biggest fans and am really, really sad to be taking my kids out after the end of this school year, but I don't see things looking up here for the future. I will miss the lovely campus, great teachers and great office manager.

Posted January 28, 2012

We have two children at AOT Elementary and have found the teachers, entire staff, classroom environment, and fellow parents to all be above our expectations. Both of our children are being challenged and are progressing wonderfully. Parents have to be willing, from Kindergarten on to spend some time almost every weekday studying with their children... You can reliably expect homework and study material daily and weekly. Our kids are making friends and we are meeting other good parents. Opportunities to help out in class, during special events, and after school keep parents involved and help them get to know one another too.

Posted December 8, 2011

This is a great school! The teachers are caring, and communicate well with the parents. They work very hard to get students up to par. The curriculum is rigorous and may not be for all families, however, my children love their teachers and friends that they have made. The current principal of this school is very difficult to communicate with, if there is more than one thing going on at once she gets quickly overwhelmed, and cannot communicate. The teachers don't seem as happy as they have in past years, the lack of leadership may be why.

Posted February 1, 2011

As a former teacher here I must say that this school is wonderful. The class sizes are small (about 20 students per class) and the staff here is great. Along with an excellent education the school also offers PE, Art, Music, and a Library. Learning is important at this school and the teachers truly care about all the students.

Posted October 12, 2010

My son and I absolutely love this school. Class sizes are relatively small so the children get more 1:1 attention. I also love the fact that there is a no bullying policy which is strictly enforced so that my son can focus 100% of his attention on learning. Teachers and staff are very personable and will take the time to address any concerns you have without redirecting you to someone else that's not going to help you. The curriculum is geared more towards actual life and problem solving skills and is presented in a way my son can easily understand and assimilate.

Posted October 27, 2009

My son has been a student at Academy of Tucson since Kindergarden. He's currently in 4th grade and his studies are 'excelling'. Not only is he advancing in math, science and reading. AOT's behavioral expectations have led to good citizenship and knowledge of conservation and sustainability. I recommend this school to all familes that care about their child's education.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 53%N/A49%
Male 47%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9209 E. Wrightstown Road