Academy Of Tucson Elementary School

Charter | K-5 | 318 students

Posted October 5, 2009

My children attended AOT for four years and over all I liked the school. While the first 2 years I loved the school. Many changes happened and some things I was not fond of. Somethings that were small were passed over when the could have very easily been changed. As for the homework it is a lot and very hard for some children, especially when the did not start in Kinder at AOT. My children never had a problem with homework or projects and were always done in less that the time I was told it should take. We have since left and attend a public school(not TUSD) were my children are moved up at levels they would not have been allowed to at Aot. They are given more opportunities to be in higher levels of learning rather than keep with the class at the same basic level .

Posted September 22, 2009

My daughter is in K, and I absolutely love this school and their wonderful staff. I feel welcomed and not just another mother. My daughter will continue her education here till college and my son will attend as well.

Posted August 4, 2009

Well here we go again! My daughter is entering the 4th grade and the school is going on their 3rd principal since she started. I cannot tell you how many different music teachers have come and gone, the last one was great with the kids. Our new principal was one of the 4th grade teachers so I'm actually looking forward to her as principal. I have no doubt in my mind my son will do just fine in 1st grade as we have had this teacher before and she was awesome. Its really sad though when during your summer you start to have anxiety about the year to come. I guess I will just have to wait and see what the Stewarts have in store for us next!

Posted May 26, 2009

My child just completed 4th grade and had an excellent year (as usual). The fourth grade teachers are fantastic.

Posted May 23, 2009

My child has attended AoT Elementary School since her kindergarten year and next year she will be entering the 5th grade. What a terrific school! I feel the school has given her the foundation which will help her succeed in middle school, highschool, college and beyond. In addition, this school has the best teachers around and an administrative staff that really cares about the students. I couldn't ask for anything more. I know our school will be experiencing some changes in the upcoming years, but I am extremely confident they will not affect the quality of education my child will receive. I believe these changes will make us an even stronger community. Thank you AoT staff!!!!

Posted May 10, 2009

A big thank you to the teachers, resource teachers, and principal at Academy of Tucson Elementary! You identified my child's learning challenges, and also recognized his potential. AOTE has gone the 'extra mile' to help my son. More importantly the teachers at AOTE believe in my son, encourage him, and challenge him in a loving way. My kids would say, 'You Rock!'

Posted March 30, 2009

We have been at this school for many years and I believe overall it is a great school. However, it is true that 3rd, 4th and sometimes 5th grade has way too much homework. 3rd and 4th seem to be the hardest. There are a ton of projects that require many hours of help at home, and the homework does not adjust to help families with this. The result? Little time for anything but school. Even though it is touted as a college prep school, the administrators seem to forget that they are just kids. I have seen quite a few students (and parents) get burned out. I wish they could balance it better. Although I love our school, for the first time we are considering other options. I do not want my kids to burn out!

Posted March 29, 2009

My child is in kindergarten at aot and I am very torn about how I feel. At times they seem to be a superb school, yet when certain situations occur, I feel that they will not even attemp to hear the whole story, rather take action with out really knowing the truth. I don't feel like anyone really cares about my child. I feel almost ignored as if my child and I don't matter.

Posted February 25, 2009

Great school overall, especially compared to TUSD. The academic program is excellent although it is rough for the 3rd and 4th graders; 2 hours average homework time means that there is less time for family and sport activities. When you try to talk to the administrators, principal or teachers about the lengthy homework the standard response is 'It's the Academy way and maybe the Academy is not right for your child. We are a college prep school!' Just beware that it is a huge commitment to have your child here. They will get a fantastic education, but less time to be a child. Special note: We do have excellent teachers!!

Posted January 7, 2009

My children are in their third year at AOT and I couldn't be more pleased. Here's why: rigorous curriculum; high academic and behavior standards (which are fairly and consistently enforced); small size means everyone knows everyone else; high parental involvement; energetic and enthusiastic teachers; really good kids, for the most part; good extra activities (in addition to music, art, and PE during the school day, they have strings, drama, sports, chess club, and other activities after school). And not to be discounted is the fact that my kids feel safe and important here. This is largely due to an extremely involved principal who knows each child personally (not just by name) and is out interacting with the kids at every recess and during lunch and who does not tolerate bullying or harassment of any kind.

Posted January 6, 2009

Hands down the best option for your child here in Tucson !!!

Posted May 28, 2008

Great school. I would recommend it for anyone currently trapped in TUSD. The teachers are pleasant and dedicated, and the Principal appears firmly in charge.

Posted May 14, 2008

I was very unhappy with my choice of this school for my child. Traffic is a nightmare when picking up or dropping off. The leadership is poor and supervision is lacking. If none of those matters are important to you then it may be a great school. I am truly surprised this school could have any positive reviews. Please,dont take my work for it, find out for for yourself. What have you got to lose?

Posted March 9, 2008

I love this school. My daughter was at a public school and just faded into the woodwork. If you asked her a question she just shrugged. We brought her here and Mrs. Huges and Mrs. Thompson worked with her reading skills and just really brought her out of her shell. She loves these teachers. Now she is actively involved, and a great student. The teachers won't let you get lost here. They are well organized in the classroom and challenging! The campus was a beautiful older private school. It makes me feel very safe because it is back off the road. Unfortunaly what makes it feel safe makes it slower to pick up students. The safety is more important to me.

Posted March 6, 2008

Having been at the Academy of Tucson for my child's Kindergarten year, I could not be more pleased with what we have experienced. Mr. Conner is a leader of the highest quality, listening to parent's concerns, and being invested in each child's success. While he might not agree with a parent, parents always receive a thoughtful reasonable answer and explanation. The teachers are of the highest quality and the rigorous curriculum exceeds expectations, as has my child's performance. I feel she is being prepared for future years of education. I look forward to each of my children experiencing the Academy of Tucson's quality, inspiring educational experiences.

Posted February 13, 2008

The principal knows all the kids' names. So what. When it comes to being a good leader, he is lacking. To name a few things: The playground at lunchtime is a free-for-all. When he is approached with a concern, all you get is lip service. While the academic rating is good, there are plenty of schools out there equal to it. Obviously, I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted January 30, 2008

This is our last year to attend Academy of Tucson Elementary. It has been a wonderful experience for our child coming into the school at fourth grade and concluding with fifth. Prior to Academy we experienced the TUSD system and we have absolutely NO regrets with changing! The emphasis placed on education as a whole and not just to teach the students for what may or may not show up on a standardized test is very refreshing. As a result of this experience we will be continuing on within the Academy of Tucson schools. Next stop- Middle School!

Posted May 22, 2007

My children were homeschooled prior to enrollment at AoT. This past year, they have thrived both academically and socially. I am impressed with the principal and his high standards for the children and staff. He took the time to get to know my children by name as well as others and pays special attention to each one. My children are rewarded by their teachers which motivates and encourages them to be their best. The curriculum is challenging and above the bar. I couldn't have chosen a better fit for my children in choosing a school.

Posted March 29, 2006

WE have been so pleased with AOT Elementary. From the involved parents; super commited teachers and extra activities such as sprts,a rt and music. The advanced and tailored education our first grader recieves in his small classromm ; I know is far superior to what we would be offeres elswhere . AOT truly makes charter schools proud. Indeed is s private school; high academic and personal standards without the high cost of private tuition. It is a joy for us and for our son to go to school every day. He loves it !

Posted March 29, 2006

Great! Our son absoltley loves going to school every single day. Learning is fun and challengin; strong community sence and friendships. The admin. Does a great job structuring classrooms and curriculum. Both academic and personal standards are high. Makes charter schools the buzz word aroung town for sure. We love the personal attention and small class sizes. The teachers are in love with whatthey do-- no burnedour kindergarten ladies here --it is a happy place to learn and grow

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 53%N/A49%
Male 47%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9209 E. Wrightstown Road