Academy of Tucson Elementary School

Charter | K-5 | 318 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 30, 2009

We have been at this school for many years and I believe overall it is a great school. However, it is true that 3rd, 4th and sometimes 5th grade has way too much homework. 3rd and 4th seem to be the hardest. There are a ton of projects that require many hours of help at home, and the homework does not adjust to help families with this. The result? Little time for anything but school. Even though it is touted as a college prep school, the administrators seem to forget that they are just kids. I have seen quite a few students (and parents) get burned out. I wish they could balance it better. Although I love our school, for the first time we are considering other options. I do not want my kids to burn out!

Posted March 29, 2009

My child is in kindergarten at aot and I am very torn about how I feel. At times they seem to be a superb school, yet when certain situations occur, I feel that they will not even attemp to hear the whole story, rather take action with out really knowing the truth. I don't feel like anyone really cares about my child. I feel almost ignored as if my child and I don't matter.

Posted February 25, 2009

Great school overall, especially compared to TUSD. The academic program is excellent although it is rough for the 3rd and 4th graders; 2 hours average homework time means that there is less time for family and sport activities. When you try to talk to the administrators, principal or teachers about the lengthy homework the standard response is 'It's the Academy way and maybe the Academy is not right for your child. We are a college prep school!' Just beware that it is a huge commitment to have your child here. They will get a fantastic education, but less time to be a child. Special note: We do have excellent teachers!!

Posted January 7, 2009

My children are in their third year at AOT and I couldn't be more pleased. Here's why: rigorous curriculum; high academic and behavior standards (which are fairly and consistently enforced); small size means everyone knows everyone else; high parental involvement; energetic and enthusiastic teachers; really good kids, for the most part; good extra activities (in addition to music, art, and PE during the school day, they have strings, drama, sports, chess club, and other activities after school). And not to be discounted is the fact that my kids feel safe and important here. This is largely due to an extremely involved principal who knows each child personally (not just by name) and is out interacting with the kids at every recess and during lunch and who does not tolerate bullying or harassment of any kind.

Posted January 6, 2009

Hands down the best option for your child here in Tucson !!!

Posted May 28, 2008

Great school. I would recommend it for anyone currently trapped in TUSD. The teachers are pleasant and dedicated, and the Principal appears firmly in charge.

Posted May 14, 2008

I was very unhappy with my choice of this school for my child. Traffic is a nightmare when picking up or dropping off. The leadership is poor and supervision is lacking. If none of those matters are important to you then it may be a great school. I am truly surprised this school could have any positive reviews. Please,dont take my work for it, find out for for yourself. What have you got to lose?

Posted March 9, 2008

I love this school. My daughter was at a public school and just faded into the woodwork. If you asked her a question she just shrugged. We brought her here and Mrs. Huges and Mrs. Thompson worked with her reading skills and just really brought her out of her shell. She loves these teachers. Now she is actively involved, and a great student. The teachers won't let you get lost here. They are well organized in the classroom and challenging! The campus was a beautiful older private school. It makes me feel very safe because it is back off the road. Unfortunaly what makes it feel safe makes it slower to pick up students. The safety is more important to me.

Posted March 6, 2008

Having been at the Academy of Tucson for my child's Kindergarten year, I could not be more pleased with what we have experienced. Mr. Conner is a leader of the highest quality, listening to parent's concerns, and being invested in each child's success. While he might not agree with a parent, parents always receive a thoughtful reasonable answer and explanation. The teachers are of the highest quality and the rigorous curriculum exceeds expectations, as has my child's performance. I feel she is being prepared for future years of education. I look forward to each of my children experiencing the Academy of Tucson's quality, inspiring educational experiences.

Posted February 13, 2008

The principal knows all the kids' names. So what. When it comes to being a good leader, he is lacking. To name a few things: The playground at lunchtime is a free-for-all. When he is approached with a concern, all you get is lip service. While the academic rating is good, there are plenty of schools out there equal to it. Obviously, I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted January 30, 2008

This is our last year to attend Academy of Tucson Elementary. It has been a wonderful experience for our child coming into the school at fourth grade and concluding with fifth. Prior to Academy we experienced the TUSD system and we have absolutely NO regrets with changing! The emphasis placed on education as a whole and not just to teach the students for what may or may not show up on a standardized test is very refreshing. As a result of this experience we will be continuing on within the Academy of Tucson schools. Next stop- Middle School!

Posted May 22, 2007

My children were homeschooled prior to enrollment at AoT. This past year, they have thrived both academically and socially. I am impressed with the principal and his high standards for the children and staff. He took the time to get to know my children by name as well as others and pays special attention to each one. My children are rewarded by their teachers which motivates and encourages them to be their best. The curriculum is challenging and above the bar. I couldn't have chosen a better fit for my children in choosing a school.

Posted March 29, 2006

WE have been so pleased with AOT Elementary. From the involved parents; super commited teachers and extra activities such as sprts,a rt and music. The advanced and tailored education our first grader recieves in his small classromm ; I know is far superior to what we would be offeres elswhere . AOT truly makes charter schools proud. Indeed is s private school; high academic and personal standards without the high cost of private tuition. It is a joy for us and for our son to go to school every day. He loves it !

Posted March 29, 2006

Great! Our son absoltley loves going to school every single day. Learning is fun and challengin; strong community sence and friendships. The admin. Does a great job structuring classrooms and curriculum. Both academic and personal standards are high. Makes charter schools the buzz word aroung town for sure. We love the personal attention and small class sizes. The teachers are in love with whatthey do-- no burnedour kindergarten ladies here --it is a happy place to learn and grow

Posted March 17, 2006

I like the Principal, teachers and staff here. Great! The academics are well rounded and advanced. Parents and children are all well behaved and adhere to strict codes of conduct. However, the owners of this school are difficult. They make new rules that seem to benefit no one, and then back off when confronted by parents. It is sad, because I feel they are going to 'shake-up' this great school and make it into another average school. The current principal is great, but I fear that she will leave and the owners will have more presence at the school, driving away the great teachers. Also, the owners are very slow to deal with general maintenance issues in this older campus.

Posted February 10, 2006

This is a wonderful family school. The small class sizes and quality of teachers and programs is outstanding. Art, Music, Spanish, and PE are part of the weekly schedule. A newly updated play ground is essential to this fabulous program. Children thrive, and are challenged each day. Our family enjoys this school.

Posted January 12, 2006

Overall, a fabulous place for our children to obtain a great education. The teachers are wonderful! There always seems to be such a good turnout of parent volunteers. The 'reading buddy' system is an excellent way that the children interact with others of a different grade level. May we ask for just a little better organization on list of school supplies for the upcoming year? Thank you for providing such a pleasant school.

Posted January 10, 2006

I think the academics are excellent. There is a nice variety of extracurriculars including art, drama, sports, chess and others. Parental involvement is high. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the school. Most importantly, however, is the fact that my child enjoys the school, is adequately challenged by the curriculum and absolutely loves her 4th grade teacher.

Posted November 29, 2005

This is a well structured and smoothly operating charter school with a lot of teacher and parental involvement. There is a strong sense of community at the school and the results are commendable.

Posted October 3, 2005

The children seem to really enjoy their teachers, and they actually love after school programs there!
—Submitted by an administrator

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 4% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9209 E. Wrightstown Road