Public charter
Tucson, AZ

Posted January 24, 2015
I wish more parents would write in and share their good experiences since sites like this mostly generate the bad. I am a parent and had my child go to the Academy of Tucson Schools. My son absolutely loved it and flourished! The Academy schools are fantastic and continue to earn high ratings - not only among parents and students, but also among the state. I have never seen any teacher be mean, or cruel, to students in the 10 years in which I have been associated with the school. The students are also more welcoming than any other school we have ever experienced (being a military family we have moved a lot). I also have had no problem helping at the school whether in the classroom, or any other area that I was needed or willing. What I can say, is that there are parents that don't like their student/s being held accountable. Accountability is a life long lesson and the Academy of Tucson does a great job at teaching our children just how important it is. I have found that most of the parents that are disgruntled with the Academy of Tucson schools, have this issue.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 22, 2015
If you are planning on putting your child at this school you might want to make sure you volunteer quite often and trust me it will not be in the classroom because they don't encourage that; in fact it is discouraged. The only parent volunteering that this school ask for is outside of the classroom and making money for the school. (They put up a front and say its because they don't want the child distracted from their learning) but really it's what goes on behind closed doors that some of these teachers don't want to be exposed. what is said to these children behind some of those closed doors can be very detrimental to a child's learning journey. Some of these teachers are very mean and rude to the student and the new principal is as lost as a puppy without it's mama. When she does get involved she makes the situation worse instead of better. She can be confrontational and just chimes in without even knowing the story. She and the superintendent come off as professional but are far from it. Some of the teachers are super afraid to speak their mind in fear of losing their jobs. Finally, some of the administration gossip about the parents/children & are completely wrong; but felt.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 17, 2014
Fantastic school, both my kids are there and love it, they look forward to going to school. The teachers are highly skilled and motivated and the principle is in a league of his own. He really does know all the kids by name because he doesn't hide in an office. He gets out there walks the playground, directs traffic and generally gets involved. I can only assume the negative reviews have some kind of other motive since this is a wonderful school. Perhaps somebody didn't get the results they expected because they were unwilling to accept that they have a part to play too.

Posted August 10, 2014
I can honestly speak to a majority of the teachers at this school. To say that the only grumblings are about the hot temperatures on the playground are ludicrous. I don't know who is painting such a rosy picture, but it is not the teachers I have spoken with. The atmosphere at this school is terrible. The superintendents create an atmosphere of fear and paranoia. Everyone is afraid to be honest because they are worried about job security. The principal has very little respect from the staff. He is viewed as being lazy, a real under achiever. I know of some teachers who can't wait to get out of this school.

Posted August 02, 2014
My youngest son was thrilled to come back to his school, he loves AOT! He's looking forward to science and all the class pets. Thank you to all the teachers that make this environmentl so safe, bully-free, and successful as an "A" rated school.

Posted July 27, 2014
Awesome school, tucked away and tuition free, amazingly because this is likely the best public school in Tucson. Highly recommended, best kept secret.

Posted July 26, 2014
The start of school is just around the corner and I am so happy to report all of our teacher staff is returning! (100% retention) The previous reviewer is misinformed and should not put incorrect information in their review in order to make our school look bad. Our teachers seem very happy and my children love this school! We can't wait for another great school year!

Posted July 25, 2014
This will be the fourth year my daughter has attended AOT Elementary School. The teachers and principal give 110%. The curriculum is challenging and well balanced. I appreciate all they do. I am surprised and sad to hear on this site that the teachers have not received adequate raises. I hope the school does not lose good teachers as a result.

Posted July 24, 2014
As a very satisfied and quite frankly a happy and fortunate teacher at AOT, I can speak for the majority of the teachers if not all. The only grumbling that goes on at this great school is how hot it is on the playground during the summer. Clearly if this parent is not happy, yet feels the need to fabricate trash regarding the teachers, principal, etc. then I bid them farewell. We all have an open door policy, so feel free to speak to any of the teachers in regards to our great school.

Posted May 25, 2014
Not at all impressed with this school. Hear too many grumblings from teachers. High turnover and dissatisfied teachers does not leave one with a good feeling. Even less impressive than the elementary school, is the middle school that it feeds into. Terrible location on a busy street next to low income housing. I would never send my child to that school. I'm looking into an elementary school with a middle school that impresses me.

Academy Of Tucson Elementary School
9209 E. Wrightstown Road, Tucson, AZ  85715
Last modified Academy Of Tucson Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Academy Of Tucson Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 77 reviews. Top