Tucson, AZ
Before care: Yes

Posted December 15, 2014
Very disappointed with IST. Teachers are hit or miss at all levels, some are great, but some are terrible and not certified teachers who have no idea how to teach children or manage a classroom positively. I think the reason for the bimodal reviews is because you either luck out and it's a great experience for your child or you get stuck with an incompetent damaging teacher. The current head of school and the current board do not care about if kids have a bad teacher as long as its not their kids. The administration likes to use fancy education buzz words, but the current head of school does not even comprehend what immersion means. He thinks a language arts class is immersion. Also looking at videos of expos, the teachers seem to favor the kids of board members. The preschool and nursery school are probably good if you get good teachers. I'd watch out for the preschool teachers who really have no training in childhood development but who happened to be available native speakers to hire. The boosted enrollment numbers that are mentioned are due to the new daycare that is at the school, not due to more actually school age students.

Posted November 01, 2014
International School of Tucson has changed for the worse with its new headmaster. Parents are kept out of the school and the value for community has ended, only to be replaced with a sense of intimidation. The school has taken a dramatic step backwards. Where good teachers remain, like in the Spanish program - parents are happy. However, a school that has shut itself off from sharing of information with parents represents a markedly negative culture. The board has chosen to effectively ignore parent comments and rushed to hire the headmaster when their first choice backed out. This school, on its current path, should never get accredited for the IB - unless it does so fraudulently.

Posted September 21, 2014
IST is a fantastic school, and our family couldn't be more proud to be a part of it. Our daughter has just begun her third year in Spanish immersion, and with no Spanish spoken at home, is essentially fluent. She is thriving both academically and emotionally. She absolutely loves going to school! Please take any negative reviews you may have read about the headmaster with a grain of salt. He is amazing and we are lucky to have him. Our family has embraced the changes he has made to the school, since the changes have only strengthened the program. As an active member of the Parents Association, I highly recommend stopping by to take a tour to see for yourself what a treasure this school is to the city of Tucson.

Posted September 11, 2014
I am the parent of two Preschool age children at IST. My son is starting his 3rd year in the Spanish program and is thriving. He's Spanish is amazing considering neither of his parents speak the language. He's had the opportunity to learn Chinese, play chess and participate in Zumba as well. We love IST. The teachers are amazing. I am in awe of the different opportunities my children receive at school. My husband and I have been considering a move out of state and frankly IST is the major "plus" for us to remain in Tucson.

International School of Tucson 2

Posted August 28, 2014
As a parent, I saw last year how some families had been bullied by the head of school ( and by extension their children). We were one of them. The academic level is very low in Math (4 lessons in 6 months) and especially in English. We realized it when our children left IST for a charter school during the year. Their never had any behavior issue, we were just afraid for their security. The best move ever ! Denying the fact would not help the directory to resolve problems.

Posted August 27, 2014
I have three children currently IST. My oldest have just started their sixth year. It is true that over the course of that time, there have been some transitions. What is not true, is what some people are saying about the result. The current Head of School is no dictator. He is strict. He has required certain standards be met and has pushed for consistency of program. He has required the use of testing across the board for students. He has also adopted a no-tolerance bullying policy. Some of these changes have angered some parents of children who were attending for years before. My family has welcomed them. Perhaps more importantly to new readers considering the school, my children are flourishing academically. The older two are reading, writing, and comprehending slightly above age-level (on a native scale) in Spanish and a year-and-a-half above age-level in English. One of their classmates is ranked nationally in mathematics! The teachers are well qualified. I know, for instance, that at least five teachers have Masters degrees, one in the preschool, three in the junior school, and one (music teacher) that teaches both; one of these is currently in a PhD program. I say try it!

Posted August 26, 2014
I am a parent at the school and also a board member. I am posting here to explain some of the bimodal reviews. This is a young school and as such has gone through significant culture changes as it went from a startup school to a growing, thriving programme and acquired an experienced international school head of school. A handful of the families that were with the school in its early days have not been able to adjust to the more academic atmosphere and have taken to posting abusive reviews. There's no school that's perfect for everybody and we wish them luck with their new choices. Meanwhile the new programme has been proven very attractive and our enrollment rates (and student retention into the elementary school) has never been better. Staff and student morale is high and the children are thriving under the improved system. I have been awed with my child's ability to acquire a language not routinely spoken at home and the love of learning she has developed with the help of our wonderful teachers and administrators. Come for a tour of the school and check for yourself our unique, vibrant community, our confident children, and our first-rate language, music and science classes.

Posted March 09, 2014
Not happy with this school. Academics are not as strong as other schools. Some teachers are not trained or certified teachers.

Posted August 04, 2013
The environment provides for diversity of thought and rich cultural experience. Great teachers, dedicated to educating the children and providing true international education. Excellent parent involvement, feels like a family.

Posted August 04, 2013
This is a truly unique school for the US. The preschool (which includes grade K) is a full language immersion program in French, German, Chinese or Spanish. It is amazing how fluent the kids can get with play-based instruction, even those whose parents only speak English at home. In the elementary school (which starts at Gr 1) kids get about 12 hours of foreign language instruction (so about half the day) and the other half is English, Science, PE etc. My daughter went to a traditional K and only moved to IST at grade 1. My impression is that she learned just as much (if not more) in English in half the time and she started picking up a foreign language, so don't worry that the English suffers. Kid's brains are amazing. There's a great new head of school (Jul 2013 so ignore the review on the previous administrator) that added a science lab, a computer lab, an art studio, and is introducing international-level academic testing. It is a private school but for K and elementary they have access to foundations with scholarships with quite high qualification limits (eg, for a family of four the income limit is 80K/year) so there's great diversity. Ask for a "test" day to try it out.

International School of Tucson
1701 East Seneca Street, Tucson, AZ  85719
Last modified International School of Tucson is a Private school that serves grades PK-5
International School of Tucson Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 72 reviews. Top