PK-5|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

While the elementary program at the school seems to be impressive the infant program (at least the 1 year old class) is less so. The teachers albeit nice seem uneducated and the turnaround is high. They don't follow the schedule they give to you but rather stick the little kids in a dark and dingy old gym every chance they get. I don't know how it's legal to tell me my kid is at "Spanish circle time" or doing "arts manipulation" when he's not but it's disheartening to say the least. Also I don't see how a school that raises a 100k at their fundraisers can't afford a few clean toys. Twice I walked into the class and my son was crying by himself. I don't think they mean to be cruel just lack the proper training on how to get kids to participate or feel comfortable. I would follow your instincts closely about this school and maybe wait until your child can talk and tell you what's really going on.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Jessica Palma and William Arthur have brought this school to a highly effective and competitive level. It is amazing the talent they have drawn to the school.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I would add that inclusion and community are big focuses at the school.

I have a child in the French Program and I cannot wait to start my second child in the fall. IST is an incredibly inclusive and commu ity oriented environment. I also love the way they evaluate the students and are not standardized test oriented.

My son is in his fifth year at IST. We have been very satisfied with the education that he is receiving at the school and also with how the school has nurtured his growth as a well-rounded empathetic child who can fit into a global community. As indicated in the faculty bios on the school website, the teachers at IST are all qualified to teach in their particular subjects. The curriculum is challenging and as with any school that has a small class size, the children receive a fair amount of individual attention from their teachers. The after school programs (e.g., chess, STEM, Zumba, ballet, basketball/IM sports to name a few) and the instrumental music program are fantastic.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

A lot of the teachers have ZERO teacher training, immersion training, or anything. They are mostly uncertified teachers because the school pays very little and doesn't give benefits.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The board members at this school as well as the principal don't care about poor students or students from single parent households, or basically any student that isn't the child of a board member or someone with a lot of money. I think that does not teach the children honestly or integrity.

Both of my kids have been at IST since they were 2.5yrs old. There has been a lot of change since my son first began 4 years ago but the change is all positive! We love the administration and have had a wonderful experience with all the staff. Our kids love going to school and they come home speaking Spanish (which they are enrolled in) but also some Chinese and a few words of other languages. They are developing a wonderful sense of the vast world around them and an appreciation for other cultures. There are so many benefits of an immersion education and we are so excited to continue to watch them thrive at IST.

We haven't been happy with this school, there are not consistent standards and it is not as rigorous as other schools.

We have two children at IST, one in preschool and another in junior (elementary) school in the French program. I have been incredibly impressed by our children's teachers and by the IST community. (And it really does feel like a community) For the junior school in particular, the program is rigorous and the results we have seen with our child in terms of reading (in two languages now), math, and science are one of many reasons why we are so happy with the school.

Last modified International School of Tucson is a Private school that serves grades PK-5