PK-5|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My son is in his fifth year at IST. We have been very satisfied with the education that he is receiving at the school and also with how the school has nurtured his growth as a well-rounded empathetic child who can fit into a global community. As indicated in the faculty bios on the school website, the teachers at IST are all qualified to teach in their particular subjects. The curriculum is challenging and as with any school that has a small class size, the children receive a fair amount of individual attention from their teachers. The after school programs (e.g., chess, STEM, Zumba, ballet, basketball/IM sports to name a few) and the instrumental music program are fantastic.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

A lot of the teachers have ZERO teacher training, immersion training, or anything. They are mostly uncertified teachers because the school pays very little and doesn't give benefits.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The board members at this school as well as the principal don't care about poor students or students from single parent households, or basically any student that isn't the child of a board member or someone with a lot of money. I think that does not teach the children honestly or integrity.

Both of my kids have been at IST since they were 2.5yrs old. There has been a lot of change since my son first began 4 years ago but the change is all positive! We love the administration and have had a wonderful experience with all the staff. Our kids love going to school and they come home speaking Spanish (which they are enrolled in) but also some Chinese and a few words of other languages. They are developing a wonderful sense of the vast world around them and an appreciation for other cultures. There are so many benefits of an immersion education and we are so excited to continue to watch them thrive at IST.

We haven't been happy with this school, there are not consistent standards and it is not as rigorous as other schools.

We have two children at IST, one in preschool and another in junior (elementary) school in the French program. I have been incredibly impressed by our children's teachers and by the IST community. (And it really does feel like a community) For the junior school in particular, the program is rigorous and the results we have seen with our child in terms of reading (in two languages now), math, and science are one of many reasons why we are so happy with the school.

Experience seems to depend on what program your child is in, your family status, whether or not you are rich, and whether or not you care if your child has actual certified teachers.

IST is a fantastic school, and our family couldn't be more proud to be a part of it. Our daughter has just begun her third year in Spanish immersion, and with no Spanish spoken at home, is essentially fluent. She is thriving both academically and emotionally. She absolutely loves going to school! Please take any negative reviews you may have read about the headmaster with a grain of salt. He is amazing and we are lucky to have him. Our family has embraced the changes he has made to the school, since the changes have only strengthened the program. As an active member of the Parents Association, I highly recommend stopping by to take a tour to see for yourself what a treasure this school is to the city of Tucson.

I am the parent of two Preschool age children at IST. My son is starting his 3rd year in the Spanish program and is thriving. He's Spanish is amazing considering neither of his parents speak the language. He's had the opportunity to learn Chinese, play chess and participate in Zumba as well. We love IST. The teachers are amazing. I am in awe of the different opportunities my children receive at school. My husband and I have been considering a move out of state and frankly IST is the major "plus" for us to remain in Tucson.

As a parent, I saw last year how some families had been bullied by the head of school ( and by extension their children). We were one of them. The academic level is very low in Math (4 lessons in 6 months) and especially in English. We realized it when our children left IST for a charter school during the year. Their never had any behavior issue, we were just afraid for their security. The best move ever ! Denying the fact would not help the directory to resolve problems.

Last modified International School of Tucson is a Private school that serves grades PK-5