Satori Charter School

Charter | 2-8

Living in Tucson

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $157,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Posted April 12, 2014

Coming from out of state we were not really impressed with the school options in Tucson. We were homeschooling until we could find the right fit. We are thrilled to have found Satori. Our daughter is thriving there after only a year and loves going to school. The teachers are warm, nurturing, and wonderful. They are also honest, fair, supportive, and hold the students accountable for their actions. Satori staff is fantastic at continuing those important lessons of early childhood learning and weaving them through the environment and curiculum to keep the children active and involved with creative, hands on learning geared for many different ways of experiencing information. Her teachers have been key in helping my daughter adapt, progress, and in some areas even catch up to where she'd fallen behind, without ever making her feel badly about herself or her abilities as a student. Our other daughter will be attending the charter school as soon as she is in the second grade. I have found the parent community nothing but warm and welcoming. I meet new people at every event. After only a year, we are part of this school community and we are a Satori family.

Posted January 16, 2014

This is our 7th year as a Satori family, with two kids who started in preschool and continued on to the charter school. The rigorous academics and the fact that our kids have excelled well beyond their grade level is not even the main reason why we love Satori. The strong, tight-knit community, a dedicated attention to the kids' well being, and the individualized approach to every student is truly remarkable. The approach of the school to education fosters creativity. We love the teachers and have developed many personal trusting relationships over the years, to the point that I seek their advice for my kids on issues unrelated to school. The director does an excellent job of maintaining the sense of community while bringing energy and direction to the school. We feel privileged to be part of the Satori family.

Posted January 14, 2014

I brought my son to Satori after he was bullied at another school and was starting to change as a person, and not for the better. After hearing about Satori, I brought him to Jo, the Executive Director, who was still teaching 1st grade at the time. She help him become a part of the Satori family and helped him recover from the bullying and grow into the loving, kind, thoughtful boy he is now. She is gifted in working with children: able to love them at their level, is a talented teacher (my son jumped up several years in reading and math in one year with Jo), and most importantly to me, she is a moral person who takes the time to cultivate community, kindness, friendship, family, honest, self-control, joy, and a love of learning in those she is around. When anyone in the Satori family has a hard time she is the first to jump in to help and I know that she truly cares about my family and myself. She is the heart of Satori and I am very thankful for her being in my son's life.

Posted January 14, 2014

We have had two kids at Satori's charter and private schools for the past 5 years. We are continually impressed with the way in which the school accommodates kids at every level of academic ability and addresses each child's emotional and learning needs individually. Having tried a number of other schools first, I know that these qualities are only consistent in schools when they come from the leadership. The director, principal, and staff at Satori are wonderful and compassionate. They have been responsive when we have needed academic adjustments or other kinds of flexibility.

Posted January 13, 2014

Satori is amazing! My child has been going to school here for five years and I cannot say enough good things about it. Jo, the Director, is phenomenal. Before being promoted to her current position, she taught at Satori. She has this amazing gift to read children (and parents), and has always gone out of her way to tend to each families individual needs with a calm and professional demeanor, all the while making sure that the children (and sometimes the parents) understand their responsibility in achieving success. Every child at Satori is treated as an individual with individual needs and personalities. The teachers are amazing and the curriculum is challenging and thought provoking. This is a fantastic school with an unbelievable staff. If you are looking for a school put Satori on your short list.

Posted January 13, 2014

Satori is not just a school for our family, it is our second family. Recently we fell on hard times and after talking to the Director, we were able to work out a payment plan so that the holidays would still happen for us. Jo is very understanding and has been through a lot as a parent and teacher at Satori so she can relate to almost any situation! When I approached Jo with my news of being unable to pay, she was concerned and expressed that I had to make some sort of payment to show good faith, but she was flexible and very understanding. I do not feel embarrassed or afraid to walk in with my held high because the level of professionalism and privacy is very high with the staff at Satori. I am very thankful to have my children learning in such a nurturing environment.

Posted September 26, 2013

Satori school is a great school for parents who want teachers to understand the whole child. They work hard on social/emotional intelligence and community using language of responsibility so the child that moves on can function well and make good decisions in the future. The program is individualized . They cove r the common core standards and go beyond. There is higher order thinking and out of the box thinking encouraged. They try very hard to use the multiple intelligences. My children did very well. The school has prepared them for the future. One good thing is they work closely with parents and solve problems so the child can be successful. Their Preschool program is excellent, it includes academics as well as play based learning with the multiple intelligences.

Posted August 5, 2013

My children have attended Satori for 5 years. They have prospered with the student focused curriculum. I like that they change classes each day for math so that the children are not held to grade level math butch can work at their ability instead. Coordination for 504 issues could be mproved but overall accommodations help the children succeed and play to their strengths. I give four stars because there is always room for improvement. my particular area of concern is parent communication. It is hit or miss at times, depending on the individual teacher.

Posted August 2, 2013

The teaching staff at Satori is dedicated to children. They create intellectually challenging curriculum for gifted students. Both of my kids love it there.

Posted August 2, 2013

I went here for elementary school and it was the best school I've ever been to! My only regret was that I was only able to attend 2 years. I'm glad to see they have expanded their grade school. They are very accommodating to children with learning disabilities. I have ADHD and I thrived there. I wish I could go back!

Posted August 2, 2013

After spending two years int he public school system, we were thrilled to find Satori. The class sizes are small. Classroom time is customized for each child. Every child matters and their needs are met. Parents are an invaluable part of the learning experience. Now that we've found Satori, we'll be there for the long haul.

Posted July 17, 2013

This school is wonderful, a great nurturing environment and a wonderful family feel about it. My children love Satori! After trying many dreadful schools in the area, we are so glad we found Satori. Great staff and environment and excellent education. We just wish it offered a high school education too!

Posted January 10, 2013

Satori school embodies everything a school should in its approach to a child's learning experience. My child is currently in eighth grade.he has been at satori since he was three years old.he has gone from a child that could hardly sit still to an excellent student. He was recently informed that he passed the entrance exam for university high school.i believe this is a direct result of satori's nurturing and excellent educational program. I can't say enough in praise for this school!!!!!!!

Posted September 30, 2012

I have one child at Satori now, and have had two others who went there. The academic standards are very high, with a focus on creativity and critical thinking. They include art and music into the curriculum and focus on building a community among students, teachers and parents. I love Satori. The middle school program is especially great.

Posted August 31, 2012

Love the school, love the staff, love how happy my kids are to go here. Could not be happier than I am with this school, my kids are embraced for who they are and taught according to their learning styles. When I have concerns I feel they are addressed at once and resolved. The after school programs are varied and interesting, my kids BEG to go to after care and play more with their friends. The other parents are friendly and supportive. An awesome place to educate and enrich kids.

Posted December 21, 2011

Transfering my daughter to Satori is the best choice I've ever made. She is excelling academically and socially!

Posted May 29, 2011

How refreshing that the students at Satori get to write and produce their own plays. This is so much better than the "boxed" productions we have been forced to do elsewhere. I heard from my kids that the process of creating the plays was not always easy and sometimes there was pretty serious group discussion about which way the story should go. As far as I am concerned, working out problems and overcoming obstacles is part of the learning process. I am sure this is a lot riskier for the teaching staff, but I enjoyed knowing the scripts came from the students. Thanks Satori!

Posted February 8, 2011

It has been so wonderful to see a school like Satori work through problems they have had in the past. There math program was not working so they spent the time and money to make sure the students were getting what they needed. My daughter now not only loves math but has improved in all areas.

Posted February 3, 2011

Agreed with other postings. Satori is sub-standard in all areas. The focus on creative arts is just silly given the unimaginative and mediocre assignments, instruction and exposure to art forms. They do arts and crafts, have one broken down piano and stage "plays" that consist of the kids waiving their arms around and rolling on the floor. An arts based curriculm would be far better supported with infrastructure, real artists as instructors and truly creative assignments. The "gifted" notion is just a notion. The kids are no more gifted as a group then any other set of middle class kids. The general tolerance for spoiled unruly behavior, bullying and intolerance is shocking. I also find too many of the parents to be snobs, which is sort of odd given the demographics. We are leaving the school.

Posted August 30, 2010

We have such positive experiences at Satori daily. We love going to school there. The people are friendly and the teachers and staff maintain excellent practices and work hard.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 45%N/A49%
Male 55%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3727 North First Avenue