Public charter
Tucson, AZ
After care: No

Posted March 19, 2015
I came to this school my Senior year, and have not regretted it. I love the activities that the school does, and what the school stands for as a whole. I highly recommend this high school

Posted March 19, 2015
This school is a place to make great friends, experience new things, and the teachers are really nice and helpful. I started this school in my Junior year so I have only been here for two years and I have improved greatly. They try there best to help everyone in every way. I like how the school teaches us more about the environment. I like how this school lets us do things hands on and everything. Today I got to go outside and help with the orchard. This school is really involved with the environment and that is one of the reason I decided to come to this school. Ever since I started school here I have been happier and I have made great friends. I like how this school has a community and cares about everyone.

Posted March 19, 2015
I love this school, when I first came here I did not know what this school is about, it took me a while to understand what sky islands was doing, now almost everything I do outside of school relates to what I do in school. Sky islands has showed me my priorities and what I have to do to be successful In life. Sky islands also has an excellent math program.

Posted March 19, 2015
This school has helped me get my credits and education on track, if I didn't know anything they assisted me until I understood. I also got in touch with nature more. It's a small school so we all know each other individually, the whole community comes together and we all work very hard. We relate most of our studies with environmental friendly topics. Which has taught me many ways to better myself and also apply it to our surrounding ecosystems to keep them healthy.

Posted March 19, 2015
Sky Islands is an amazing school with a great sense of community. All the classes are relatively small in size. This school has some of the most interesting courses from Japanese to Gardening to Astrobiology and Art. Most lessons will involve doing activities outdoors like observing wildlife or mapping the solar system and some lessons happen off-campus as field trips. Some field trips that happen yearly is hiking, the gem and minerals show, and working on a farm. Overall this school is very unique and I have had some of the best years here. I was able to make friends easily and focus on my classes, I wasn't given piles of homework, just what was necessary to help understand the lesson, and learned lots of things that I wanted to learn. I have found that my most favorite classes have been the science and math classes. Though the math class is my all time favorite. In the "math house" as everyone calls it, there are no text books. Instead Simon, our math teacher, creates his own lesson plans. He grades our papers in real time and is able to help everyone on an individual scale. And so long as you complete the assignment you will have no homework.

Posted March 19, 2015
Sky Islands was a life changing experience for me. I transferred in when my parents were less than pleased with my attendance at AZVA. Suffice to say I wasn't pleased with having to attend a school due to my previous experiences. However, I was pleasantly surprised. High Schools, in general, usually has this stigma of jocks, cheerleaders, nerds being shoved into lockers, and so on. Here, I didn't see anything resemble that. This school's small structure means that people can get to know each other, and it directly affects the students' ability to learn; the teachers and students get to know each other unlike a district school (TUSD for example) where there are thousands of students, so the teachers literally won't notice when someone is missing. Teachers here care for their students. Students here care for their fellow students. The friendly environment is truly unusual within a high school.

Sky Islands High School 4

Posted March 18, 2015
This school is the way I'd like the world to be. With the students gradating from here and exploring the world, hopefully we can do just that slowly and surely!

Posted March 18, 2015
Sky Islands High School is a wonderful school. I used to not care about my education when I was in primary and middle school. Then, when I came to Sky Islands, I knew I had found a hidden gem that I could enjoy, and since then I have come to care about my education and what I want to do in life. Sky Islands is an environmentally focused public charter school, with its main focus based on the environmental problems currently affecting Arizona and Mexico. From learning about the medicinal advantages of mesquite beans to learning about blood diamond mining in the Congo, to the ecological importance of coral. We also have interesting electives; including Gardening by Design, a class that analyzes different gardens and different design techniques, including Japanese design principles, and Ethics, where we take a topic and turn it on its head and look at it from both perspectives. We are also beginning a middle school so we will be a 7th-12th grade school. For anyone who is looking for a great middle or high school I highly recommend Sky Islands, because with knowledge of what's happening in the world, you can make a difference.

Posted June 25, 2014
sky islands is not only a school but for many students it is their home. The staff at Sky Islands offer a safe and positive environment for all students. The teachers let the students know that there are no limitations to what they want to accomplish as long as they are willing to put in the work. As a parent of three graduates from Sky Islands High School I recommend this high school to all parents who want an environment where the children are always made to feel important and they are teachers as well. The atmosphere of the school is that of a big family.

Sky Islands High School 4

Posted June 11, 2014
If you are looking for a quality education in a smaller school setting, Sky Islands is the answer. Our son has blossomed and matured and did not get "lost in the shuffle" which was our concern about a regular high school setting. His teachers treat him with respect. They do not tolerate any bullying or negative behavior among students. Hats off to Sky Island!

Sky Islands High School
6000 E 14th St Tucson, AZ 85711, Tucson, AZ  85715
Last modified Sky Islands High School is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sky Islands High School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top