Sonoran Science Academy - Broadway

Charter | K-8 | 326 students

Our school is focused on STEM and college preparation.

Living in Tucson

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $113,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $770.

Posted August 19, 2014

Great school. Parent/ teacher communication. High standards/ expectations for kids. Small classes. A mini community.

Posted April 19, 2014

This school is great. My daughter is thriving here. After 3 schools and 6 teachers, we have finally found a good match for her.

Posted April 18, 2014

This is a great school. They care about their kids and challenging their talents! We are very happy.

Posted April 17, 2014

Do you want that 'village' that everyone speaks of? Try this school. My son's teacher, those 2 ladies up front, Mrs. Hart, Mr. Millette and Mrs. Jagdeo make this school amazing. They're the best thing that's ever happened to my grandson. After years of mediocre, we have arrived in Shangri La. This is where the seeds of education are planted.

Posted April 17, 2014

We joined this school last year. Things were pretty chaotic with a new principal but this year is much better. The staff as a whole is amazing. I do see a couple of glaring issues, though. First is the assistant principal of marks. Not only did she decline a meeting each time my wife and I asked (4), she is very cold, empirical and impersonal. Each time I asked her a question she replied that she would have to see. We shouldn't have to beg to see her or get an answer. I wonder if she has 'seen' yet. We are still waiting. Secondly, this is not a safe campus or at the very least, it doesn't appear to be. I do see the head principal trying to make improvements but the property is just horrible. That terrible parking lot cannot be disguised as a playground, it doesn't matter where you're from. What keeps us at the school follows. The main principal and the principal of discipline. He's a creative leader and very moral. She is firm, fair and unbiased. The world needs more like her. The secretaries in front- we trust them and feel like they're our family. At times we didn't like new rules, but they always brought us around. Two of your best assets. Keep up the good work but be safer.

Posted April 13, 2014

I love this school! The teaching staff is caring, considerate, and encouraging to the children that attend. The educational aspects are outstanding and well ahead of the standard curriculum taught in the other schools around the Tucson area.

Posted April 8, 2014

I am so happy to have my child here. It is the right place for her, and the school community is very friendly.

Posted February 17, 2014

This school used to be fabulous. Now it has become overcrowded and less than satisfactory. In my opinion, rather than hire qualified teachers and staff, they're hiring anyone with the proper credentials to fill open spots. My daughter did so well last year, but this year she has a teacher who I believe probably wouldn't have been hired by any of the school districts. Unfortunately this will be out last year at this school. They could be doing way better...or at least move to a bigger building!

Posted October 23, 2013

Fourth year parent and I have to say I am happy. My kids love their teachers, TA's and all staff. They have grown so much over the years. I like the curriculum and homework amount is just right! The school is very culturally diverse which has also made my kids aware and interested in many other cultures...this is something you don't get in other schools. Too many great after school clubs its hard to decide which one to pick. I do wish the campus had more playground and shade.

Posted October 7, 2013

My son has been attending SSA-B since he was in Kindergarten. The first impression of the school is incredible. It has a strong curriculum, a strong core value for education and a great reputation. We have for the most part been enjoying our sons time at the school. As he has grown and needed the assistance of the special education department is where we feel that is one of the areas in which the school can improve. In the 5 years that we have been at the school they have had 4 different teachers and they all have seemed completely overwhelmed and uncaring regarding the children with needs. There are a few teachers at the school that are incredible, Ms. Houston, Ms. Abbott, Ms. Miriam and Ms. Morley, have gone above and beyond for our son and are the reasons that we have stayed at the school. The principal is more interested in test scores then the actual students and the upper administration only cares about the Sunset campus. The school has potential and if they would follow through as they have been saying for 5 years and move the middle school to a seperate campus it would be even better.

Posted October 7, 2013

Our son just started kindergarten and we wanted him to be at a school that challenged him. So far this school has exceeded our standards.

Posted October 7, 2013

I love this school! My granddaughter is so academically advanced and it's because of the hard work and dedication of the school and teachers there. I feel she is getting the best possible education at this school. The school is also safe and enjoyable for family as well as students.

Posted September 6, 2013

Great school. Small class sizes. Great teachers and supporting staff. My children love this school. So far the best school my children have attended.

Posted June 24, 2013

GREAT TEACHERS, GREAT SCHOOL!!! I have been with this school since it first year on Broadway. I had two kids in TUSD for two years and became very frustrated with the way it was being handled. My son was slugged in the face and nothing was being done. When we started at SSAB we were welcomed with open arms and encouraged to speak our minds. We were listened to, which is something TUSD didn't do. Now I have five kids going to SSAB next year. We loce the closeness of thw people. The teachers and parents go out of their way to make school a better experience for the students. My kids love going to school there.

Posted June 21, 2013

Overall I am quite pleased with this school. So far all of the teachers that I have dealt with seem dedicated to the kids and a good education. There doesn't seem to be a mission of the dreaded "political correctness" that is ruining other schools. The parents that are disappointed in the academics probably need to be more involved in their child's day to day assignments and not just expect the school to do all of the heavy lifting. There is an American flag in the lobby and the pledge of allegiance is available to those that want to participate. This school consistently places well above average in academic competitions. That is not an accident or luck. Spend some time in the lobby and you will see that the ladies at the front desk are equally as dedicated. We intend to send our child to SSA High School at Davis Monthan when the time comes. I have no problem in signing my name to this posting. Don Lovitt

Posted June 20, 2013

Currently this school is a work in progress. Elementary school has a much stronger program that the middle school. The new principal that started last year (2012) is in the process of polishing up this diamond in the rough and good things seems to be happening to make this so. Good teachers are helping support this effort in the elementary portion. Still working on the middle school portion to find the right teachers which are hard to find for this age group already. They do seem to be spending the money to upgrade resources for the students. Just taking a long while to make things happen, which in this economy is par for the course.

Posted June 10, 2013

My ire is with the staff of the school. They are very disorganized, taking over a week to admit new students (when through experience other schools will take 24 hours), and the two women up front were plain rude. Life is stressful, that I understand, but there was no reason for the school to remain unorganized for the semester my children were there.

Posted May 30, 2013

Our family has been to a few elementary schools and we are happy to now be at SSA-B. The teachers are dedicated to their students and their school. Our daughter is in a class where she is challenged in her best subject. She has also received tremendous help in her struggling subject. Her teachers understood that a curriculum is not "one size fits all" and they went out of their way to find what it was that my daughter needed to succeed. I am so proud of my daughter's growth this year and we adore her teachers !

Posted May 30, 2013

I am in complete shock! The "Geology Rocks" performance that the 3rd grade classes put on was a FIRST CLASS production. I have seen many SSA Broadway "performances" , but none of them were even close to this caliber! My child had fun auditioning and then performing. This was a great experience for these kids and a lot of them were taken out of their comfort zones, so we could see their hidden talents.

Posted May 28, 2013

I love this school! It offers a rigorous education while at the same time it feels like family. The school culture is super! I'm so glad we found this school when we moved to Tucson. My kids LOVE going to school and consider Ms. Patrice and Ms. Lori to be family. It's so nice to know that such loving and dedicated ladies and my kids' teachers are looking after my children. In a world that can be at times frightening, my children feel safe and cared for at SSA-B.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 49%N/A47%
Female 42%N/A49%
Male 58%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
German
Italian
Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

School start time
  • 8:05 am
School end time
  • 3:05 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Erdal Kocak
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor