Sonoran Science Academy - Broadway

Charter | K-8 | 326 students

Our school is focused on STEM and college preparation.

Living in Tucson

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $113,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $770.

Posted October 15, 2014

I am a student that here I love ssa-b it challenges us to the limit it teaches us respect other and it is very carefully there is no place in this school were it accept bulling or harshening we kid feel so safe here best school!!!!!!

Posted October 4, 2014

This school is ran more like a business than it is a school. Seems like there is always a request for more money. Also, I understand diversity and kids learning a different language, but turkish culture is being forced into each student. There has been numerous teachers and students that have left the school due to numerous complaints of the staff. I think this school has a different agenda than just teaching students to the best of their ability. Im sure you can figure out what the agenda is with a brief search on google. Alot of the teachers in the elementary are great teachers, but once you get into middle school...very different story. The teachers speak very broken english and the students have a hard time understanding the teachers. The teachers yell and discipline the students alot more than they should as well. No matter the grade level, kids have about 3 to 6 hours worth of homework a night. Are the parents doing the teaching, or should teachers be doing their job instead of running a business and disciplining our children? STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL.... BEST CHOICE WE MADE WAS TO LEAVE IT!!!!

Posted October 2, 2014

I love that this school pushes not only math and science but also language arts. If the kids fall behind they have the resources to help them get up to their level, an example is Saturday School and extra at home practice. The ladies that run this program Ms. Hart and Ms. Merson are wonderful. I am also very excited that the school now has a girls volleyball team and Coach R plans to have a boys and a girls basketball teams. She is by far the best coach this school has had. She truly has brought back the school spirit at SSAB. I love this school and feel safe leaving my kids here. Any visitors need to be buzzed in and there is a key in entry for aftercare parents. Safe, caring, family oriented atmosphere and proud to be a part of it.

Posted September 21, 2014

SSA Broadway is a God send to my family. My son is special needs & is thriving here. We've been to 8 schools prior to last year but we've found our home. We couldn't be happier with them. It's a small school and I know some of the staff and parents drive over 50 miles a day due to their dedication to this school. Ms. Tracy is an amazing support to our son. Mrs. Jakdeo and Mr. Kochak are fantastic leaders to their staff. While there is one very loud middle school teacher, she's just very loud. All of my children love Mrs. H, Ms. Tess, Mrs. McFarland and Ms. Patricia like family. We're glad that the front desk staff makes sure that they are aware of the happenings in and around school keeping it safe. Thankfully, they make it their business to know who's around and why. When we leave our children at school we know that those four ladies will take care of them and love them. Even on the most chaotic days we enjoy the professional, funny, welcoming environment. The parent involvement is outstanding. Communication is better than ever this year. Mrs, Jakdeo, Mrs. Morley and Ms. Nix mix great teaching, disciplined classrooms & challenging curriculum. This is why our kids love school.

Posted September 20, 2014

I am so happy that my both kids are attending a school that teaches respect and understanding of different cultures. So proud to be part of SSA-B. Best school in Arizona! (A parent posted on school's Facebook)

Posted September 20, 2014

This is about the community I choose for my child. Who do I want to expose my precious baby to? SSA-B is an academically challenging, culturally stimulating, socially inviting, emotionally satisfying, loving, and sometimes delightfully loud environment. There is always welcoming laughter, familial interaction, intellectual stimulation and friendliness. Is it perfect? Very close. From the moment you park your car until the moment you drive away, you're treated like an important member of the community. When I enter, I'm always greeted by my name and a big welcoming smile. They all know my name and the name of my child. They smile and cajole when we see them. They recognize us at the grocery store. We are invited to wonderful extracurricular activities and after school clubs. The childcare staff rocks. When picture day came and I had forgotten my check book, one of the ladies up front paid for my son's pictures without knowing if I'd pay her back. It isn't just a school, but a safe, stimulating, thought provoking and beautiful community that my wife, child and I feel grateful to belong to. For anyone who has a complaint, look inward. SSA-B is a rare gem.

Posted September 15, 2014

I completely agree that Teachers at this school act completely overwhelmed and uncaring regarding the children with needs. If your child has any special needs STAY AWAY from this school. I visited the school on several occasions for my kid and the way teachers talk to kids disgusts me, they are not nice or understanding at all They just yell at kids at the top of their lungs when they do something wrong it was shocking the way the talk to kids, yes i understand they should be punished when something they do is wrong but the way they talk to them is plain out rude and shows how little patience they have for kids. It's a good school curriculum wise but the teachers are rude, the office ladies are plain out rude and very nosy, i just don't understand how some of the people here have jobs when they talk down to kids and parents.

Posted September 15, 2014

this is a great school at school and they're always trying to improve teachers are awesome

Posted August 19, 2014

Great school. Parent/ teacher communication. High standards/ expectations for kids. Small classes. A mini community.

Posted April 19, 2014

This school is great. My daughter is thriving here. After 3 schools and 6 teachers, we have finally found a good match for her.

Posted April 18, 2014

This is a great school. They care about their kids and challenging their talents! We are very happy.

Posted April 17, 2014

Do you want that 'village' that everyone speaks of? Try this school. My son's teacher, those 2 ladies up front, Mrs. Hart, Mr. Millette and Mrs. Jagdeo make this school amazing. They're the best thing that's ever happened to my grandson. After years of mediocre, we have arrived in Shangri La. This is where the seeds of education are planted.

Posted April 17, 2014

We joined this school last year. Things were pretty chaotic with a new principal but this year is much better. The staff as a whole is amazing. I do see a couple of glaring issues, though. First is the assistant principal of marks. Not only did she decline a meeting each time my wife and I asked (4), she is very cold, empirical and impersonal. Each time I asked her a question she replied that she would have to see. We shouldn't have to beg to see her or get an answer. I wonder if she has 'seen' yet. We are still waiting. Secondly, this is not a safe campus or at the very least, it doesn't appear to be. I do see the head principal trying to make improvements but the property is just horrible. That terrible parking lot cannot be disguised as a playground, it doesn't matter where you're from. What keeps us at the school follows. The main principal and the principal of discipline. He's a creative leader and very moral. She is firm, fair and unbiased. The world needs more like her. The secretaries in front- we trust them and feel like they're our family. At times we didn't like new rules, but they always brought us around. Two of your best assets. Keep up the good work but be safer.

Posted April 13, 2014

I love this school! The teaching staff is caring, considerate, and encouraging to the children that attend. The educational aspects are outstanding and well ahead of the standard curriculum taught in the other schools around the Tucson area.

Posted April 8, 2014

I am so happy to have my child here. It is the right place for her, and the school community is very friendly.

Posted February 17, 2014

This school used to be fabulous. Now it has become overcrowded and less than satisfactory. In my opinion, rather than hire qualified teachers and staff, they're hiring anyone with the proper credentials to fill open spots. My daughter did so well last year, but this year she has a teacher who I believe probably wouldn't have been hired by any of the school districts. Unfortunately this will be out last year at this school. They could be doing way better...or at least move to a bigger building!

Posted October 7, 2013

My son has been attending SSA-B since he was in Kindergarten. The first impression of the school is incredible. It has a strong curriculum, a strong core value for education and a great reputation. We have for the most part been enjoying our sons time at the school. As he has grown and needed the assistance of the special education department is where we feel that is one of the areas in which the school can improve. In the 5 years that we have been at the school they have had 4 different teachers and they all have seemed completely overwhelmed and uncaring regarding the children with needs. There are a few teachers at the school that are incredible, Ms. Houston, Ms. Abbott, Ms. Miriam and Ms. Morley, have gone above and beyond for our son and are the reasons that we have stayed at the school. The principal is more interested in test scores then the actual students and the upper administration only cares about the Sunset campus. The school has potential and if they would follow through as they have been saying for 5 years and move the middle school to a seperate campus it would be even better.

Posted October 7, 2013

Our son just started kindergarten and we wanted him to be at a school that challenged him. So far this school has exceeded our standards.

Posted October 7, 2013

I love this school! My granddaughter is so academically advanced and it's because of the hard work and dedication of the school and teachers there. I feel she is getting the best possible education at this school. The school is also safe and enjoyable for family as well as students.

Posted September 6, 2013

Great school. Small class sizes. Great teachers and supporting staff. My children love this school. So far the best school my children have attended.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 49%N/A47%
Female 42%N/A49%
Male 58%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
German
Italian
Korean
Russian
Spanish
Turkish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • MathCounts Sth AZ Champion (2013)
  • SARSEF and AZSEF Awards (2013)
  • MathCounts AZ Champion (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:05 am
School end time
  • 3:05 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Erdal Kocak
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Advanced Math

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Run Clun
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor