Sonoran Science Academy - Broadway 1

Posted April 09, 2015
I used to believe in the school and their mission. I brought friends into the group. My family is disappointed in the poor community here. When the new SPED teacher came, we thought there would finally be something better. No. Just more of the same For my daughter. The administration is constantly making last minute policy changes. They are very inconsistent and make excuses instead of solving issues. There's a woman who screams at the children and parents in the morning at drop off. The middle school teachers and a 3rd grade teacher scream a lot. I can't wait until summer when we leave. It's now very unprofessional and petty.
2 people found this helpful

Sonoran Science Academy - Broadway 3

Posted March 21, 2015
Ongoing staffing issues and lack of respect among staff for each other, children and parents are just two ongoing problems. The principal does not hold teachers accountable for bad behavior like screaming at the children daily and complaining about children and parents they don't like. My daughter's teacher complains about me to other staff and parents. There's alack of professionalism with several key staff members. There's a gossip chain that thrives there. This group is not a good example of a professional or caring environment for little kids. The teacher's children also regularly spread the gossip that is repeated in front of them. Both of my daughters have told about life experiences that I did not want them to know about at such a young age by the children of a teacher. Positives are the principal and one of the assistant principals are very kind to the parents. The curriculum is at a high standard. Safety improvements have been made but are still lacking. This will be our last year unless real changes are made in the areas of professional behavior and kindness.

Posted March 21, 2015
As a former staff member, I can say that my experience is by and far a positive one. Both the current and former principals are good men who operate from a point of great integrity. They have a fantastic curriculum. The parent association is an amazing group of hard workers! The family community is spectacular and the school is a very inviting environment. It's a very familial environment for all involved. Visit the website for a list of open house times. Patrice Wilson

Posted February 22, 2015
My daughter goes to the Kindergarten at this school. She loves her teacher and even wants to be a teacher when she grows up. Her teachers have done a great job and she has learned a lot since she started there, including history, math, science, and languages. I really appreciate the teacher's efforts to help each student.

Sonoran Science Academy - Broadway 4

Posted February 20, 2015
My wife and I really enjoy the school for the most part. My daughter adores her kindergarten teacher and has really done well in her class. The material is fairly advanced for a kindergarten level and has challenged her to perform at a higher level. The only problem with the school for me personally is the expectation for the students to be on time and punctual, however it would seem that the staff is not held to that same expectation. Every event we have attended always seems to start late and staff members scramble to prepare for events at the last minute. I would strongly encourage the leadership of the school to change this practice since it illustrates a lack of professionalism in my book. Overall I would rate the school for my daughters first year an above average for her exceptional teacher s abilities, to address concerns about the children, and her overall involvement in my daughter s academic performance.
20 people found this helpful

Sonoran Science Academy - Broadway 2

Posted February 19, 2015
I have 2 kids attending this school. I have to say it is not a good school. Teachers that dont like their jobs yelling at kids yryin to impose their authority. Substitutes that have no experience at all in handling kids. The principal impossible to reach to discuss situations at class. Dining room with a prison like environment. Parents afraid to complaint because their kids might get affected. But of course they are eager to get your donations. I will encourage parents to write their review on here

Sonoran Science Academy - Broadway 4

Posted January 24, 2015
This school isn't the norm. This is why my kids attend. It is a multicultural college prep with higher than normal expectations. If as a parent you want easy then go elsewhere. I don't want your "lazy" keeping my "motivated winner" from succeeding. Yes teachers have an accent but so do college/university instructors. Its reality! Turkish culture isn't forced. This is absurd! We live in the USA which is made up of MANY cultures. My kids love their friends of many cultures. The successful fundraisers were for a good cause..an outdoor water fountain! Please attend Booster meetings!

Posted October 15, 2014
I am a student that here I love ssa-b it challenges us to the limit it teaches us respect other and it is very carefully there is no place in this school were it accept bulling or harshening we kid feel so safe here best school!!!!!!
4 people found this helpful

Sonoran Science Academy - Broadway 1

Posted October 04, 2014
This school is ran more like a business than it is a school. Seems like there is always a request for more money. Also, I understand diversity and kids learning a different language, but turkish culture is being forced into each student. There has been numerous teachers and students that have left the school due to numerous complaints of the staff. I think this school has a different agenda than just teaching students to the best of their ability. Im sure you can figure out what the agenda is with a brief search on google. Alot of the teachers in the elementary are great teachers, but once you get into middle school...very different story. The teachers speak very broken english and the students have a hard time understanding the teachers. The teachers yell and discipline the students alot more than they should as well. No matter the grade level, kids have about 3 to 6 hours worth of homework a night. Are the parents doing the teaching, or should teachers be doing their job instead of running a business and disciplining our children? STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL.... BEST CHOICE WE MADE WAS TO LEAVE IT!!!!
4 people found this helpful

Posted September 21, 2014
SSA Broadway is a God send to my family. My son is special needs & is thriving here. We've been to 8 schools prior to last year but we've found our home. We couldn't be happier with them. It's a small school and I know some of the staff and parents drive over 50 miles a day due to their dedication to this school. Ms. Tracy is an amazing support to our son. Mrs. Jakdeo and Mr. Kochak are fantastic leaders to their staff. While there is one very loud middle school teacher, she's just very loud. All of my children love Mrs. H, Ms. Tess, Mrs. McFarland and Ms. Patricia like family. We're glad that the front desk staff makes sure that they are aware of the happenings in and around school keeping it safe. Thankfully, they make it their business to know who's around and why. When we leave our children at school we know that those four ladies will take care of them and love them. Even on the most chaotic days we enjoy the professional, funny, welcoming environment. The parent involvement is outstanding. Communication is better than ever this year. Mrs, Jakdeo, Mrs. Morley and Ms. Nix mix great teaching, disciplined classrooms & challenging curriculum. This is why our kids love school.

Sonoran Science Academy - Broadway
6880 E. Broadway Blvd., Tucson, AZ  85710
Last modified Sonoran Science Academy - Broadway is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sonoran Science Academy - Broadway Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 60 reviews. Top