6-8 & Ungraded
Vail, AZ

Desert Sky Middle School 3

Posted April 03, 2012
I went to Desert Sky last year and now am in high school. All in all, the school looks great on the outside. Good test scores, responsible, students exceed all of the state standards, but it all comes at a cost. The school is very strict and the teachers and principal crack down hard on the rules. If you forget a pencil, detention, your paper isn't long enough by one line, detention, you typed instead of wrote, detention. I was lucky enough not to get detention all three years but it is not easy. The monitors are also very biased. If there are a group of girls all in short shorts, the monitor will only call out maybe two of their least favorite people in the group. Again, this never happened to me (because I always wear jeans) but you get the point. The staff always said the discipline they gave would prepare us for high school when in reality, high school is much easier. (and I'm in all honors classes with some of the toughest teachers!) Desert Sky puts on a good face, but is way too strict!

Desert Sky Middle School 4

Posted March 01, 2012
I give it a great school. Very awesome with benchmarks and homework. However, this school is struggling with social skills. I saw a 6th grade girl getting bullied. It made the 6th grade girl get really bossy and now everyone runs away from her or they be really mean. I am a student and when I was new everyone hated me. Now I made friends with most of them but I have a bully and he keeps telling me to shut up. So I give this school a 10/10 of learning but a 7/10 on social skills. Even though they have a room to teach you social skills. And if your lonely, There is this lunch group called, "Circle of Friends" that is hosted almost every Wednesday. Today me and my friends were fake fighting but we didn't hurt ourselves.

Posted October 20, 2011
Desert Sky is a great school. My son is in his 3rd year at DSMS and we have to say that we are very fortuned to be at DSMS. Desert Sky is an A+ school. From the beautiful campus and great activities like WEB and Steel Drums, to a wonderful band, to the excellent teachers and staff! we have no complaints. We sure are blessed as parents to be able to feel at ease that we send our son to an excellent school.

Desert Sky Middle School 2

Posted May 15, 2011
Vail is an excellent and amazing school district. They worked with us to find the right situation when we found that Desert Sky was a disastrous fit for our son. He struggled from the first moment he got to Desert Sky, and no one -- principal, teacher, or admin staff -- cared at all. When we spoke to the principal, it was painfully obvious that he had no interest in helping our son succeed. So we pulled him out of that school, and very sadly, he missed nothing about it. Not the students, not the teachers, not the staff. Desert Sky gets great ratings and I know some students love it, and it's the right school for probably most kids, but it is definitely not for every student. Our three kids have been to quite a few schools as Army Brats, and this is the only one where we had problems like this. I guess my son was a square peg in a very round hole here.

Posted December 14, 2010
Yes, this school has high expectations, so that the people who graduate are more prepared for college and high school. If you have a problem with high expectations then don't complain about it on here. Go to a different school. The faculty are friendly and helpful. They have a lot of motivating rewards for good students, but they also have consequences for the miss-behaving student. Yes, you can get in trouble over little things, but for those who complain,1) don't do things you shouldn't 2) what part of HIGH EXPECTATIONS don't you understand.

Posted March 10, 2010
I WAS a student at this wonderful school. The expectations for this school is tremendously high and with the positive environment, nearly all of the students met all the requirements. Teachers, students, and parents, get involved with this school to make it a positive environment. During an 'Award's Assembly' more than half the kids would have principle's award (strait A's on the previous report card). All the teacher's cared and shrived to help the student's to achieve the extra mile. Previously I had been a 7th grader at this EXCELLING school, I had moved to a preforming and and very disappointed. Don't leave this school

Desert Sky Middle School 4

Posted February 27, 2010

Desert Sky Middle School 1

Posted August 05, 2009
Please, be aware of this school, as well as some others in the Vail school district. I just graduated from a school as far away from any of the Vail schools as possible. I had a very rough time and was very traumatized from my experience. The old principal, vice principal, staff, and teachers were very rude and didn't understand much. I needed accomodations that were not provided for me, and was accused of being a liar. My parents ended up calling in a representative from the state to help me get some accomodations, and I ended up leaving this school at the end of the year. Please, use caution, investigate, and listen to what your children are telling you.

Desert Sky Middle School 1

Posted February 17, 2009
I am currently an eighth grader at Desert Sky Middle School and i hate it. The teachers are WAY too strict and picky. You can get in trouble for the smallest things. Even at lunch you can't go walk up and talk to your friends or else you can get lunch detention or have to wipe tables. The teachers give you detention if you don't do the smallest things on your homework (like write in pencil instead of pen or use size 14 font instead of size 12). So this school is really unfair and if I were you i'd pick a different school to send my kid to.

Desert Sky Middle School 0

Posted October 29, 2008
i think it is a wonderful school in a great area.

Desert Sky Middle School
9850 E. Rankin Loop, Vail, AZ  85747
(520) 762-2040
Last modified Desert Sky Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Sky Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top