James B Rolle School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded

Posted January 8, 2014

I have two children that attend Rolle for the second year in a row. While I do feel that they aren't pushed as hard academically as other schools in other states, I do feel that the children do get the individualized attention needed to excel. They do offer advanced reading groups as well as math groups. The staff is always helpful and teachers are available to discuss the progress of your child as needed. I think the after school supervision is reliable as well. At the end of the day I see the teachers walk their students in a line first to the buses (for those who ride buses home) and then to the parent pick up area, and at least one teacher is always out there, and the students can't walk to their parents car - the parents have to drive/walk up to pick up the child and walk them across the parking lot or back to their car. They also have a cross-guard before and after school. The PTO is also very active! I am amazed at their accomplishments; they are so much better than any other school I've dealt with. Unfortunately, there aren't after school activities offered at the school (except Discovery, which is like a big kid day care), but you'll find plenty in Yuma.

Posted August 10, 2011

I went here years ago and when I was here I loved it. My 19 year old also went here k threw sixth and we had no problems at all great school. We loved our years here.

Posted February 3, 2011

James B Rolle has lost track of my daughter twice within a year. Apparently, at the end of the day when the children are dismissed as a parent pick-up or bus rider they are not properly supervised. In both instances when my daughter was lost and I contacted the school to trace her whereabouts all the kindergarden teacher could tell me is she had no idea where my child was. I am very disappointed in this school because they have violated the trust I put in them to care and protect my daughter while I'm at work.

Posted August 22, 2010

My daughter just started 2nd grade at Rolle elementary, she's been there since kindergarten. We've had a great experience with her teachers and other staff members. We feel very fortunate that her teachers have all had more than 20 yrs. experience. Parents are encouraged to be involved in child's education and extra curricular activities. the principal is very involved, which makes us feel confident that our daughter is is good hands.

Posted April 22, 2010

Rolle is a great school with an excellent approach for teaching kids organization, accountability and responsibility. All elementary schools have to teach the same 3 Rs but it is study skills and a strong foundation for these that makes all the difference going forward in their studies. As a parent you always know what your child is working on every day and you also know what he/she needs to turn in or work on at home. Their system is seamless and no nonsense.

Posted May 27, 2008

My son attended K-6 at this school from 1997 through 2004 and we absolutely loved the teachers, the kids, and the wonderful parent/teacher organization. I am so excited that my daughter will start kindergarten there in the fall. If someone had a bad experience at this school, I assure you, it was their fault and not the school's fault. The staff goes far and beyond the standards for the school district and the state. In this community, people are trying to move into the boundary for Rolle because they want their children to go there.

Posted November 28, 2007

Our children were moved to Rolle due to district boundry changes this year. This is the third Yuma school that they have attended. From the first day we have been extremely happy. I have never met such a group of kind and enthusiastic teachers. We feel confident that our children are in good hands and that their best interests are the focus. Thank you so much.

Posted August 17, 2007

This is our second year here in Rolle. My daughter who's now in 1st grade loved her experience during her kindergarten days. I am just hoping that it will be the same this year.

Posted April 19, 2007

My children have attended Rolle since Kindergarten and are now in 4th and 5th grades. We love this school. Excellent teachers and very friendly adminstrative staff.

Posted October 17, 2006

I think this school is great. My daughter goes to rolle and is estatic!!

Posted September 20, 2006

My family loved Rolle, but decided to move our gifted son elsewhere when he lost his motivation to excel.

Posted August 28, 2006

This school is by far the best in Yuma. They have high parent support as well. This is a wonderful school. The only drawback is if your child needs extra help in say math or reading, good luck, because there doesnt seem to be resources in place for this.

Posted August 1, 2006

Rolle is a wonderful school. None of the problems associated with a public school. All my children (5) went through Rolle and are successful, happy adults.

Posted July 21, 2006

This school has a wonderful dedicated principal. My girls really liked their teachers. It is located in a nice community.

Posted August 9, 2005

Both my kids have been in this school since they were 5 and I can tell you that this is a great school. My kids were always challenged and have been in honor classes thoughout the years. The staff and parental support is unbelievable. Everyone is friendly and always ready to lend a hand. Everyone seems to know each other and we look out after each others kids. The principal, Mrs. Gilmer is an angel, truly! She always knows what the kids are up to and get this, she knows every child's name, parent's names too. She always has time to sit and listen to our concerns. We have recently moved and are terrified as we cannot imagine another school as amazing as Rolle. We truly appreciated every moment, the parent lunches, the music programs, the academic competitions and have enjoyed feeling worry free with out kids there.

Posted July 14, 2005

We have tried Rolle twice and are giving up. Low standards Example: In 1st-grade they gave out awards to students that read 25 books/year. We came from another state that had my child reading 10-15 books/month(in-1st-grade). Talanted&Gifted Program=make a volcano. In 1st-grade when I asked for my child to be moved up to a reading level more suitable, the teacher delayed it until I asked again. In 2nd-grade we tried a charter school (Amerischools) that turned out to be great academically but my child missed the frills a publicly funded school had so we returned to Rolle for 3rd grade. I asked for my 3rdGrader to receive harder math (they tested mychild at a 6th grade level) but all they did (after 3months, 3Letters to the teacher and a meetingW/Principal) was put mychild on a self-paced computer program. I feel like my child learned nothing this year. My kid asked to go back to Amerischools.

Posted October 15, 2002

My son is in second grade and we are thrilled with his education so far at Rolle. It is the best school in District 1.

Posted October 15, 2002

Not enough words of praise for this outstanding school. There is also not enough space for teachers I would recommend. This is truly one of the great schools on Greatschools.com! Our family feels so blessed to be a part of this school!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 49%N/A47%

• Ms. Laura Rebecca Gilmer
Fax number
  • (928) 726-6131

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now