Yuma, AZ
After care: No

Posted August 26, 2014
Price is the BEST! So many great things are happening at Price. First, the school building and structures are being updated year-round. The school's face lift creates not only a pleasant appearance, but adds to safety. The teachers are staying put as well. The principal creates an atmosphere that is family-oriented and everyone loves working there. The children are well-behaved with very supportive families. High parent involvement and teacher dedication has contributed to the school earning an "A" letter grade from the state two years in a row. Classes are small and teachers are able to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of struggling up to gifted students. All students achieve success, are cared for in only a way a small school can, and are not subject to large student/teacher ratios that allow for students to "fall through the cracks." IEP's and 504's are closely followed due to the small class sizes allowing teachers to deliver more individualized attention. Students are pushed to reach their fullest potential no matter their grade level. Everyone works together at Price including PTO, staff, parents, and administration to create the best learning environment!

James D Price School 4

Posted September 15, 2013
James D. Price Elementary is on a Army Instillation. It has combined classes because the population is under 100 students. The teaching staff this year is all new to the school besides one teacher who was taught year prior, but they are all dedicated to the education and the children. The PTO helps to provide the students a monthly hot lunch because this is the only school in the district that does not receive a daily free breakfast or daily hot lunch for our students. This past year, the school was just selected as a Targeted Title 1 school. We have been a letter D school for two years but last year our staff and students were able to work very hard to make our school earn a letter A. There are many things the school could use but the education seems to really be improving. We live in a hot desert community and desperately need a shade structure for the students while they are outside. The PTO is working on it but a large structure is upwards of $10,000 so coming up with that money may take years. Please consider our school for this $5,000 grant because our school is in need of a large amount of items that the district simply can not provide.

Posted September 11, 2013
This is not a functional school. While the teachers are doing the best with what they have, this school is a complete joke. It should not be open. Besides the lack of basic necessities (working bathrooms with adequate toiletries, shade structures over play areas, an on-site principal, etc.), there is a lack of supervision. I have observed outdoor recess, and there is often only 1 adult supervising 80 children. This is not acceptable. It s not fair to the kids or the adult supervisor. The children roam the outside area, including sections that are out of the supervisor s line of view. This is the perfect set up for bullying! There is a very high teacher turnover rate . because what teacher would want to stay at a school that sets them up for failure? This school is on a military instillation, so a large percentage of the students are military dependents. Many of us live here so that we can stay together as a family with our military member during their tour here. The price that we pay, the sacrifice that we make, is that our kids have to attend this school. This school literally makes me sick.

Posted August 19, 2013
The last review had it spot on-RUN from this school! If you care about the education of your children you WILL NOT like this school! At all. We spent 4 years there and the teacher turn over rate is a joke! Each year the school gets at least 3 new teachers (oftentimes in the middle of the school year) and there are only 4 classrooms! They do watch a lot of movies, there are no extra programs (for gifted or special needs,) no regular hot lunch, and the playgrounds are lacking. Several families choose to pull their children from this school to homeschool them. Having said all of this, there is 1 good teacher there now (sometimes there is 1 but they usually don't last too long) and 2 of my 3 children that went there are probably where they need to be academically. But that was with LOTS of extra work at home. One of my children got very behind. I cannot express enough how excited we were to leave this school. Yes, it's small. Yes, the classrooms are small. Yes, there are 2 grades to each room/teacher. Yes, we survived the school! But really, when I saw the rating I thought it was a joke. I figured it would be no more than a 2 or 3!

Posted July 01, 2011
Run, don't walk away from this school! I thought small clalss sizes would be a plus, but this school is so small it lacks basics a school should have like a school nurse, and on site teachers for specials, and a functional cafeteria. The administration here (basically one of the teachers!) have no oversignt on any of the classrooms and little concern. One of my kids said they watched a lot of movies! There is zero support for students with learning issues. The Yuma school district has little supervision over this school because it is 45 minutes out of town. I just had an assessment for my son who was having trouble in school, and his learning gaps took place at the years he was at Price. Now we have to hold him back a year so he can catch up. This is the worst situation possible.

Posted August 20, 2009
I am very pleased with the attention that is devoted to my children. The classes are small and it is a very comfortable and safe environment. I do not have to worry. The teachers are dedicated to the students 100% and so many parents are involved. I feel this school is appropriate and a wonderful school for my children to attend, they are very happy here. The teachers inform parents of any concerns and are open to discuss anything with the parents.

James D Price School 2

Posted April 04, 2008
Although there are good teacher-student ratios some years, most of the time each teacher not only has a large number of students, but also two grade levels in the same classroom. Children as young as 2nd grade are expected to focus and work independantly (often on what I consider busywork) while the teacher is leading the other half of the class in a lesson. Students with any sort of attention difficulties suffer. The teachers and administration are kind, and, being a small school, it is very easy to get appointments with the administration and teachers. Students get a lot of personal attention from the staff. The special education 'department' is non-existant and IEPs are ignored, largely because the teacher, who is teaching two grade levels at once, does not really have time to devote to students with special needs.

Posted December 09, 2006
The smaller student population is a wonderful advantage. The students get more one on one interaction with teachers. I would not want my child anywhere else. The parent involvement is high and so is the instructor and priciple involvement. You could not have a better school in yuma.

James D Price School 4

Posted April 06, 2006
- a staff

Posted January 10, 2006
The school is the perfect setting for learning. It's small size is conducive for great instruction and training. The teachers have been teaching for a number of years, so they aren't fresh out of school. There is a sense of family there instead of just being a student with a number.

James D Price School
1010 Barranca Road Yuma Provi, Yuma, AZ  85365
Last modified James D Price School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James D Price School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top