Kofa High School

Public | 9-12

Posted April 24, 2012

As a past student ,I went through many changes at Kofa High School . Some where good, such as expansion of the campus & better parking . Some, where horrible. I feel Gina Thompson was is one of the horrible ones. She is biased and it is obvious. I think Kofa is doing great considering the terrible leadership . If anything could be done to make Kofa High School a better , more functioning school it would be to replace her with someone who cares about the students, and not looking good on paper. Students futures should come first and unfortunately I feel that she does not encourage this. I enjoyed many of my teachers , in fact I believe that in my four years at Kofa I only had trouble with one. I was involved in many clubs and organizations , which are sadly slowly starting to be removed . The office staff was slightly rude to me as a student , however their attitude always changed when my parent walked into the office. It would go from talking down to me and telling me I can't to we normally don't but we are allowed to .So if you are a parent please support your child! I feel for the student who is in it alone, getting ahead at Kofa is difficult , especially with the counselors .

Posted August 10, 2011

Wonderfull school I have a son who went here from 9th to 12th. I have three boys following him I will do what ever it takes to make sure they all go here. Very helpfull staff from the bottom all the way to the top. I have never asked a question and been turned away without an answer. Very loving teachers will do anything and everything for their students. Always above and behond. Everyone should be aloud at this school. Not alot of fights like the other schools here in Yuma. This school you know your children are safe and watched over very well. Wish I myself could have gone here. Can always contact teachers email or phone and always will get an answer back. Lovely school.

Posted April 11, 2010

Kofa is without a doubt the best High School in Yuma. I sub at all of the High Schools, so I can make this statement because I have been to all of them. Their security is excellent. Their Administration is on top of everything! Ms. Thompson has this school operating very effectively. The students are the most courteous. I see no problems during the 3 lunches with any of the students due to security and administration everywhere. The new campus is outstanding and will only get better once the landscape project is complete. Any discipline problems are handled immediately, therefore even though the classes are very large, disruptive students are dealt with quickly so teaching and learning can not be interrupted.

Posted April 6, 2010

This school has improved so much during a few years. When my sister was a freshman, gangs were everywhere. the next year, they began to make rules a lot more strict, and has made the school a much safer and better place. Sure there is still gangs, but every HS in Yuma does, and is unavoidable. Now I am a student at Kofa, and I love it! I have made great friends, and every one of them strive for good grades. Teachers (most of them) help students strive also. They stay after and before school to help students, call parents if something in their behavior or grade goes wrong, and really care. Security is also great. They are always around school taking care of students and are always there if something is going wrong. Counselors help students that are there to actually learn. But school spirit is amazing!! (awesum skool)!!

Posted October 31, 2009

I believe that Kofa is a magnificent high school. Though the education strategies may have some flaws, the teachers and counselors put forth much effort in order to help their students learn. The AP program at Kofa is also very effective. These classes require much determination and time from the student, it is very comforting to know that most of these classes are full of teens who want to strive to be better in life. Teachers at Kofa are also a determined bunch. Many of them spend their weekends at the school, grading papers and putting in grades. The overall best part about Kofa would have to be the school s spirit. All who attend or have attended this school are very proud to be Kings. The football games are always loud and the band is always dedicated. Anybody would enjoy a school event, whether they attended the school or not.

Posted August 3, 2009

Good school, but I do have trouble with the fact that if you want to speak to a counslor or teacher you have to go to the school because no one seems to return calls! The school has my home, cell, and work numbers as well as e-mail address and NOTHING.

Posted April 13, 2009

Kofa is a really good school. And all of you people saying it isn't well your wrong. It All depends on the effort that your son or daughter puts on his or her work. Dont just be blaming it on the teachers i mean if your kids dont learn its because they dont want to or they are too busy talking and paying attention.

Posted September 12, 2008

I was a student at the school. Sure the school has some problems. Its not a bad school, some of the parents here say it is but its really not. There is an SRO on campus he is every where. There is not as much gang violence at Kofa. Sure there are gangs there, but Yuma and Cibola high schools have them too. Even Yuma Catholic has them, its not that big of a deal they do not do anything to anyone unless you provoke them. And if you do provoke them then its your problem because if you provoke anyone they will respond. Moving on to more important topics like the teachers. Some of the teachers probably should not be teaching but they have really good teacher in many different areas. Overall its a really good school. I myself am glad to go there.

Posted August 20, 2007

My son is a Sophomore at Kofa, I have seen ups and downs at Kofa as my older children attended. The teachers seem overwhelmed with the number of students/teacher ratio. The counselors are not easily assessable to the parents, and the phone system seems to not work when calling parents about student absence. The security seems to be a farse as well. I'm concerned that only a handful of security and with construction going on I think the priorities are not for student welfare but for the security of construction sites. The sports programs seems to be one of the only effective program in the mentoring of students,coaches and staff support the 'athlete students' to the upmost. I support this school but still have my concerns. I encourage all parents/guardians to do the same as it will only make things better for our children in these influential years.

Posted August 9, 2007

My son had an awesome freshman year. The teachers, counselors and other staff members are great! The band instructor inspires his students to do better than their best. Mrs. Thompson is obviously doing a great job.

Posted June 12, 2007

I think that Kofa needs a lot of organizing, its like when its time for registration they need to do 1 Grade level at a time so that there is not a lot of people standing out in the heat,going to football games you have to sit at the top of the bleachers if you are handicapped I like to see everything up close specially if you have a child that is in sports, you need to put a ramp at the bottom of the bleachers, and also when a parent calls the teacher to talk about their child and you leave a message several times and the teacher never calls that means to me that the teacher does not care, i wish that you would have a group of parents that could meet 1 time a month so that the parents could have a input about the school system

Posted May 30, 2007

Kofa High School is excellent when it comes to the challenges that the teachers do bring to the students.

Posted January 10, 2007

My daughter's Kofa experience has mostly been a positive one. They have some of the best math teachers in the area: Mr. Thompson, Mrs. Cooper and Mrs. Masson. The dance program is fantastic! Mrs. Legros and Mrs. White have done a superb job putting together a program that allows advanced dancers to choreograph and direct, as well as great training for those with no previous experience. There are a lot of ESL kids. All schools in this area will have that. Ms. Tanaka has the best choir program by far of all the high schools here! The counselors have been very helpful and willing to work out individualized educational plans. Kofa isn't perfect but about as good as it gets here.

Posted September 1, 2006

This is probably the most unsafe High School in the City of Yuma. I don't even thing our school has a resource officer like Cibola or Yuma High. At least my son and daughter haven't seen him visibly around campus, and one has attended Kofa for three years and the other for two. My sons stereo has been stolen twice seen he's attended Kofa. The security at this school is weak. The school has cameras, but that's are they are is cameras. The gang violence at Kofa is out of control and no one ever interacts to avoid future problems. Can someone open their eyes?

Posted August 7, 2006

Kofa is an awful school. Had I known I never would have sent my son there. His teachers were unresponsive to any concerns. If you have choice don't send them there!

Posted December 5, 2005

Kofa is not a good school at all. The administratin is horrible. They are close to assigning school uniforms. There are about 2600 students enrolled there and only 2 lunches. There are not that many great teachers. I wouldn't recommend this school for someone moving to Yuma. Although they do offer Electronics I, II and Vocational Electronics, Agriculture, Auto, etc.

Posted August 17, 2004

My daughter received an excellent education at Kofa High School with many teachers that worked beyond the call of duty by offering one-on-one tutoring in upper level math classes, Honor's classes, and make-up time for absenses. One teacher even taught Latin, on her own time, at the school, to a group of interested students. If a student is willing to take responsibility for her or his education, the Kofa teachers will meet that student better than half way.

Posted June 26, 2003

I think this school could be much better this school lacks of good teacher for example we need a good physics teacher.

Posted March 31, 2003

Kofa has great academics and the teachers explain everything so well and they don't let students slack off and play sports either.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

487 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

486 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

477 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 100%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (928) 502-5693

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now