PK-5 & Ungraded
Yuma, AZ

Posted February 26, 2014
I was very hesitant to switch my daughters to a different school. I am not at all impressed with Otondo. The first week of school I already had two issues with a teacher, I asked for my daughter to be switched to a different teacher, because my daughter was not comfortable with her teacher and started acting out. I was told no, by the principle. All year long I've had issues with Otondo as a whole. I never know when my children have a day off until the day before. Like no school Monday, were told on Friday.. Both my husband and I work. So the issues continue. My daughter is allergic to Cantaloupe and one day I got a frantic call from her teacher that she had accidently had it at lunch, it was mixed in with another fruit so my daughter didn't know. That ended in an ER trip, why would they serve mixed fruits and serve it to children who are allergic? Yes, my daughter is too young to understand what's in the fruit. My children will not be attending Otondo next year, and we cant wait to get them to another school!

Mary A Otondo Elementary School 2

Posted January 22, 2014
My son transferred to Ontondo from another Yuma school district, and I watched his love and passion for learning severely decline. It seems Ontondo ( or the Yuma school district One in its entirety) is too focused on reported performance and test scores to really spend the time and energy to nurture the young minds of their students. I feel the staff is overwhelmed with the stress to have their students score well on standardized test, which takes their focus away from dealing with cultural dynamics, special education, and adapting curriculum to reach each child in their class to make sure each child has a positive outlook on school. I would not recommend this school for others, and I will not be sending my next child to Ontondo.

Posted April 25, 2012
Two of my three children attended this school in the five yrs we have lived in Yuma in both cases I have watch the decline in their grades and overall learning. This is truly sad after seeing the promise both showed while we lived in Mi. Overcrowded classes overwheld teachers and a general disconcerned attitude from the upper admin. has really helped us in our decision to remove our children from these schools in Yuma and return to Mi.

Mary A Otondo Elementary School 2

Posted March 09, 2011
This school can be a great school if there was stronger leadership. As is at other public schools, there are great teachers at this school and not so great ones. School accomodated our request to choose a teacher, but if you don't have much of a choice, that does not help. I wish teachers work together as a team. Depending on the grade, it seems there is not much collaboration between teachers. One big problem my child's class had is a lack of true instructional time. Unfortunately, my child's teacher was absent a lot more than I exprienced with any other teachers. They could not find a substitute few times and the School decided to split her class and send them to different classes. This happened 3 times for this grade during Fall semester.

Mary A Otondo Elementary School 5

Posted January 10, 2011
my son transfered to otondo in october frm another elementry school in the district and he has shown great improvement on his behavier as well as his accademics since the transfer. the staff and atmosphere are verry welcomeing and educational.

Mary A Otondo Elementary School 5

Posted September 30, 2010
Thank goodness for some of the teachers who are both proactive in their approach to teaching and are willing to not only think but teach "outside the box"! Mr. Weatherbee is one of those who does. You can see it in how the scores are as well as how his students act. He teaches them not only how to "pass the test" but also how to "pass in life". We need more Highly Effective teachers like him in our local schools!!!

Posted May 08, 2010

Mary A Otondo Elementary School 4

Posted December 31, 2009

Mary A Otondo Elementary School 3

Posted March 06, 2009

Mary A Otondo Elementary School 4

Posted February 05, 2009
This is a GREAT school, which unfortunately for the kids and teachers is not adequately supported by the district or state. The teachers do all they can with what they have along with support from the school administration to provide a safe and encouraging learning environment to an average of 30 kids in each room. This school however id SEVERELY LACKING in parental involvement. There is little to no involvement with the PTO, very few parents/families volunteer for things at school, unless it is a FREE field trip. This school could be a 5 star GREAT school if more families just got involved!

Mary A Otondo Elementary School
2251 Otondo Drive, Yuma, AZ  85365
Last modified Mary A Otondo Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mary A Otondo Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top