Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Mary A Otondo Elementary School 3

Posted August 31, 2015
Disappointed after Mrs Pisani the Vice Principal left. Our daughters 2nd grade teacher had medical issues said our child had ADHD. Our pediatrician disagreed. My child was not the only one at least 60% of the class asked to be transferred to another class but principal said no because too many parents asked the same thing. Teacher was never let go regardless of her medical issues. They teach the test. My child needed help with reading but because she was able to memorize the practice tests her scores were average or high so no one saw her as being behind. We had to teach her on our own and get extra assistance. Not impressed by the fact that kids are limited to outdoor recess activities either.

Mary A Otondo Elementary School
Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted August 31, 2015
Mixed teacher support my child had 2 great teachers not impressed with keeping a teacher for grandfathered tenor

Posted August 03, 2015
Two of my daughters attend this school and I can't say enough how wonderful their education has been at Otondo. Both have had amazing teachers who clearly care about their students education. My 5th grade student exceeded on Galileo testing for the first time ever at this school and was therefore placed in an advanced math class at Castle Dome. We never could have imagined her succeeding in advanced math, but she has and still does; thanks to her fifth grade teacher at Otondo. My younger daughter has also had great experiences with both her Kinder and 1st grade teachers. I love this school and their caring attitude. They offer so much for the students out of school as well such as an educational family night, fall festivals and motivating assembly's with SPARKY from ASU. Our family LOVES this school!!

Posted March 20, 2015
Absolutely hated it! The teacher told the first grade class to shut up daily! And while the class was at music and only the teacher was in the room, my daughter's backpack was thrown in the trash! My daughter came home crying cause her "teacher threw it away! " So I had a meeting with the principal. He assured me the teacher would never do that. (Then who threw it away) my daughter said the teacher said if anything is on the floor it goes in the trash. Really? How about I throw her purse away? That's ridiculous. The principal then said he took care of my concerns. BUT she told the class again to shut up. She also played highly inappropriate music "I'm sexy and I know it. " I had to get questions from my six year old about what sexy means! Needless to say I transferred her out of the school to desert mesa and have never been happier. Skip this school. Maybe with a new principal and first grade teacher it would be ok

Posted February 26, 2014
I was very hesitant to switch my daughters to a different school. I am not at all impressed with Otondo. The first week of school I already had two issues with a teacher, I asked for my daughter to be switched to a different teacher, because my daughter was not comfortable with her teacher and started acting out. I was told no, by the principle. All year long I've had issues with Otondo as a whole. I never know when my children have a day off until the day before. Like no school Monday, were told on Friday.. Both my husband and I work. So the issues continue. My daughter is allergic to Cantaloupe and one day I got a frantic call from her teacher that she had accidently had it at lunch, it was mixed in with another fruit so my daughter didn't know. That ended in an ER trip, why would they serve mixed fruits and serve it to children who are allergic? Yes, my daughter is too young to understand what's in the fruit. My children will not be attending Otondo next year, and we cant wait to get them to another school!

Mary A Otondo Elementary School 2

Posted January 22, 2014
My son transferred to Ontondo from another Yuma school district, and I watched his love and passion for learning severely decline. It seems Ontondo ( or the Yuma school district One in its entirety) is too focused on reported performance and test scores to really spend the time and energy to nurture the young minds of their students. I feel the staff is overwhelmed with the stress to have their students score well on standardized test, which takes their focus away from dealing with cultural dynamics, special education, and adapting curriculum to reach each child in their class to make sure each child has a positive outlook on school. I would not recommend this school for others, and I will not be sending my next child to Ontondo.

Posted April 25, 2012
Two of my three children attended this school in the five yrs we have lived in Yuma in both cases I have watch the decline in their grades and overall learning. This is truly sad after seeing the promise both showed while we lived in Mi. Overcrowded classes overwheld teachers and a general disconcerned attitude from the upper admin. has really helped us in our decision to remove our children from these schools in Yuma and return to Mi.

Mary A Otondo Elementary School 2

Posted March 09, 2011
This school can be a great school if there was stronger leadership. As is at other public schools, there are great teachers at this school and not so great ones. School accomodated our request to choose a teacher, but if you don't have much of a choice, that does not help. I wish teachers work together as a team. Depending on the grade, it seems there is not much collaboration between teachers. One big problem my child's class had is a lack of true instructional time. Unfortunately, my child's teacher was absent a lot more than I exprienced with any other teachers. They could not find a substitute few times and the School decided to split her class and send them to different classes. This happened 3 times for this grade during Fall semester.

Posted January 10, 2011
my son transfered to otondo in october frm another elementry school in the district and he has shown great improvement on his behavier as well as his accademics since the transfer. the staff and atmosphere are verry welcomeing and educational.

Posted September 30, 2010
Thank goodness for some of the teachers who are both proactive in their approach to teaching and are willing to not only think but teach "outside the box"! Mr. Weatherbee is one of those who does. You can see it in how the scores are as well as how his students act. He teaches them not only how to "pass the test" but also how to "pass in life". We need more Highly Effective teachers like him in our local schools!!!

Mary A Otondo Elementary School
2251 Otondo Dr, Yuma, AZ  85365
Last modified Mary A Otondo Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.