PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted April 22, 2016
I have seen a 5th grade student badly hurt in an accident that a hospital bed was brought into the class room so his dad could carry him in every day and not miss school. All the students helped him to get through that school year. Another Student was in a electric wheel chair but couldn't use the controls or feed himself, his dad would come some days to feed him but the other days the boys in the class would see to his needs. This is a great school!

Posted April 22, 2016
For 40 years I have had students in this school, children, grand children and now great grand children. With out a doubt, this is a school Where Children Learn to Love and Love to Learn. .

Yuma Lutheran School 2

Posted February 12, 2016
In a nutshell- Very disappointing! Sure, you can read a few overly positive remarks on Great Schools. You may hear some great things from a FEW folks, but the reality is things are not always as they seem. You need to remember that when you are looking for good schools in Yuma- you are very limited. Comparing a low rated public school with a private school here is far from balanced. Yes, we chose this school over the other schools in this town. We were living out of state when we picked the school. Was our experience here wonderful- some good, but in the end horrible. The new leadership in the school is lacking. Complaints about bullying were ignored. Several great children left the school (including our kids) due this lack of concern. Multiple attempts were made by these families, but our voices were squashed. Retention of students is not a concern, but keep them coming and all is well in their eyes. The church itself is great, but YLS needs to get serious about the disruptive students. You turned your backs on the good ones!!!!!!!

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted February 12, 2016
Depends on the staff. The principal is not open to being questioned. Favors select students over others.

Posted August 13, 2014
My son has attend Yuma Lutheran School since Kinder and is just starting 5th Grade. This school has the warmest and most caring teachers and I couldn't imagine him being in a more loving environment. He is taught the word of God daily and feels very loved. The education is exceeded my expectation. With the scholarship programs available, anyone could attend this private school. You will be happy you made the choice.

Posted November 03, 2012
YLS is the BEST SCHOOL and has the BEST STAFF. We moved to Yuma a few years ago and after much research were blessed to have enrolled our children at YLS. We have 3 children and have experienced PreK-3rd and 7-8th grades. The staff is very compassionate and focused on our children's academic and social development. They are constantly improving their facilities, programs, resources, etc. They are adverse in their athletic programs, music & orchestra, outdoor ed trips, science fair, and more. YLS demonstrates a clear desire for family and community involvement. The staff begins their day in prayer and models Christian behavior and leadership throughout the day with their students. My children are in a safe, Christian, learning environment with caring teachers and classmates. YLS takes pride in helping students excel and be good citizens. It's one big family I plan on being a part of for a very long time.

Posted February 01, 2012
Very pleased that YLS offers electives for 6-8 grade. 7th and 8th graders can also take an advanced math class. I also like that my 1st grader is getting the opportunity to learn to play the violin. The orchestra teacher is so wonderful!- just as all the other teachers my 3 children have had so far!

Yuma Lutheran School 1

Posted December 06, 2011
I sent two children to this school for two years. My son attended his first grade there and the experience was less than satisfactory. My son is an extremely bright boy but hyper. His lessons bored him constantly. Parent-teacher meetings were requested and never scheduled. Eventually I wrote a letter to the teacher calling her to task and I got my meeting, with her and the Principal which was less than helpful. The next year my son transferred. My daughter attended kindergarten there the next year with similar results. She was doing poorly academically. Meetings were requested and never held. Towards the end of school year, her teacher had the nerve to tell me she thought my child should be held back. She told me this in the parking lot. My children now attend a charter school. One that has resources and that staff that is trained enough to intervene when a child is having difficulty. My son's issues were caught within the first two weeks by his new school, was diagnosed as ADHD with an IQ of 120. My daughter is still pending, but her difficulty was determined within weeks of school starting. Why did I pay over $3000 a year for this school?

Posted November 10, 2011
I am a mother of two and both attend Yuma Lutheran. I am a proud parent of what this school offers. With the change in Principal, the school is very positive, academics exceeds many other schools. We are a family here and we are very happy. I do not understand why some of the reports are negative, they do not push through academics, teachers care about students.

Yuma Lutheran School 2

Posted April 04, 2011
After two years at YLS we are leaving. It seems they push through the academics regardless of how the kids are doing. Instead of reteaching and retesting when kids don't understand and do poorly, tests are given and counted in the grade book regardless and they move onto the next topic. Too much attention is paid to getting through a book by the end of the year instead of making sure everyone understands the subject matter. Many of the children don't seem to uphold the Christian values that we expect in a Christian school. I would guess that many parents leave it up to the school to teach children Biblical principles and nothing is reinforced at home. Many children cuss and bully. I can get this for free in a public school, so why am I paying for it?

2555 South Engler Avenue, Yuma, AZ  85365