Desert View Academy

Charter | K-6 | 500 students

Desert View Academy is best known as a caring community where students excel.

Living in Yuma

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $125,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $860.

Posted June 20, 2014

Desert View is an awesome alternative to traditional under performing public schools. I enrolled my 3 children at DVA and they flourished there. They went from falling far below to meets or exceeds in all core subject areas in the first 2 quarters of the school year. For the parents that want to see how well educators do when left to their own teaching devices and merits, our public charters are the way to go. They do far more with less funding and without all the bureaucratic red tape and teachers unions our traditional public schools use. These educators aren't teaching to test they are actually teaching core subjects along with good character traits. Be respectable, be responsible and be safe!

Posted June 17, 2014

I just finished going to DVA I have been there kinder through 5th Grade. Through all these years I have learned so much. Not just about math, social studies, and other subjects. I also learned how to be a better friend and learned lots of character. And got lots of friends. Sometime the teachers go hard on you but some of them are really nice and fun. My favorite activities were the pennies for patients fundraiser and pool day. I really enjoyed my 6 years at DVA. Sometimes they will push you hard to do something. But trust me if you go there you will like it. Have Fun :)

Posted June 6, 2014

At first it was great, then a vice principle comes and takes all the teachers that were great, and throws them away! They should keep the teachers that gave good education to that school.

Posted May 30, 2014

We move a lot and I was very nervous coming here, because I heard about Yuma's educational system and I had not heard good news. My kids started at one school and we were not happy so moved them to DVA. The teachers at DVA are outstanding. They really care about the kids and do their best. My complaints are with Resource and the staff managing the school. If your child has special needs, this is not the place to send them. The resource teachers seem to change alot and must not be given good guidance or not qualified to teach special needs. There were so many teachers and staff let go this year, my children were upset. I am glad they weren't in sixth grade because three were let go without a reason given to the parents! That tells me there is an internal problem. I heard from a friend that there was an overworked single teacher left to teach them. There will not be sixth grade next year, maybe they are cleaning house? The teachers seem unhappy and stressed. I am worried about my two children being there next year,after AIMS testing my children spent the rest of the year playing at school. Seems like the quality education led up to AIMS and stopped.

Posted May 28, 2014

This school has people that were great teachers. They really connected with students. They were caring, respectful, loving, and awesome. This school is horrible. They fire everyone that the students like. The principal made some vice principle so then she could help with writing. The assistant principle thinks she owns the whole place. She acts like she's the queen, even though she wasn't even here half the year.

Posted May 23, 2014

I am responding to a post that states it is a requirement for the staff to post positive reviews and comments about DVA being an excellent school and positive comments about the principal. Great Schools was running a contest, and a school was going to be awarded $5000. The requirement was to post a minimum of 10 reviews during the month of May to be eligible for the contest. Staff and parents were encouraged to post reviews regarding their experience at Desert View Academy. Our administrators never required us to post. I love teaching at Desert View Academy, and have every confidence that my own children are receiving a top notch education from caring staff and administrators.

Posted May 13, 2014

My son has attended DVA for two years. I am so impressed that everyone knows each child and even takes the time to say hi when they see them in a store. The teachers are great! They are really invested in him living up to his potential and communicate with me often. I see a lot of complaints regarding the office staff in these reviews, however I would have to say that is unwarranted, they have been great to us always. I wouldn't have my son go anywhere else to school. We love DVA!

Posted May 10, 2014

If it is a requirement for the staff to post positive reviews and comments about "excellent school" and "Principal", it only indicates how desperate they are to have a good rating.

Posted May 9, 2014

Both of my kids have had a wonderful experience at DVA. The teachers and support staff are dedicated to helping each student. The principal is enthusiastic and inspiring. Character education is a prominent and school-wide focus. I have seen other reviews say they focus too much on testing and I have not found that to be true at all. I volunteer in my kids' classrooms on a weekly basis and I have found the focus to be on getting each student to understand material and concepts, not test prep. I like that they have small groups and interventionists that provide another layer of ensuring all kids get a quality education.

Posted May 6, 2014

Desert View has been such a blessing for both of our boys. Our oldest son has been here since Kindergarten and soon will be heading to 4th grade. We absolutely love the character based education and most of all the staff and teachers. They truly care. This year our son had AIMS and he was a bit nervous. The first day, all the staff were out front cheering and high-fiving all the kids. In fact, most days you'll see our principal at the gate, greeting every student with a handshake. Any concerns we've ever had have been appropriately addressed (I was worried about some of the new technology courses and was completely assured by the staff about privacy and their media usage). Although our oldest has thrived here, we weren't sure how our youngest boy would do. He's had a phenomenal year. Kindergarten has changed just in the past 4 years but I find that the teachers are truly looking for the student's best interest. If you're looking for a school, DVA provides an A+ education in a safe environment, where parents and teachers work together in partnership.

Posted May 6, 2014

Desert View Academy is a wonderful school, for the past three years our child has excelled academically compared to previous schools within the district of Yuma. Highly recommend this school for future students.

Posted April 30, 2014

Over the last several years I have worked in multiple schools, and have found Desert View Academy to be one of the most student- centered educational facilities in the area. DVA has high standards for both their students and their staff. Many feel as though this is equates to a single-minded focus on testing. However, as with many professions, we use testing to collect information about our students so that we can best meet their educational needs. If you want your son/daughter to enjoy an above average education in the city of Yuma, then this is the school to attend.

Posted April 30, 2014

Desert View Academy is a wondering school! Students are held to high expectations, and teachers are supported with numerous resources and amazing interventionists. Technology is integrated in lessons, and students are working towards exceeding state standards!

Posted April 30, 2014

I am a first grade teacher at Desert View Academy and could not be happier where I teach. It is so great to work at a school with so much support, parent involvement and sense of community. As a teacher it is nice to know that your classroom size will never be above 26 students. Also that each grade level has one interventionist ( aid ) per grade level. We focus a lot on small group instruction which can help us target all ranges of students. We do not just help one, but set our schedules, classrooms and mind on helping all of those who walk into our classroom. It is also a plus that we have so much technology in our classrooms. It is amazing how much my students have learned this year in technology class, and how they are applying it in the classroom. I think others need to know how fantastic this school is, and how hard the teachers and staff work to keep this schools amazing reputation going as an A plus performing school.

Posted April 30, 2014

Desert View Academy is truly an extraordinary school. Our students educational achievements are forged on the most influential and long lasting foundation there is... CHARACTER. Not only do we teach the six traits of character but it is our school's culture. Most recently our "Because we care" motto helped raise $14,000 for Pennies for Patients. Our students are being taught to live out Caring, Fairness, Citizenship, being Trustworthy, Responsible, and Respect. What an amazing community these children will one day make as they live out their character. Additionally, DVA's personalized teaching simply rocks. Students of all levels receive interventions. Whether it's to close some gaps to achieve benchmark or to thrust them yet to a greater level by raising the bar and challenging those that have already exceeded. Both my kids have been recipients of this personalized attention. Their foundation at DVA greatly influenced their success in the years that followed. My 16 yr old daughter has recently been invited to apply for the Flinn Foundation Scholarship. This foundation not only looks at academic success but a student's influence and character in their community. THANK YOU DVA!

Posted April 29, 2014

Desert View Academy (DVA) is where I work, where I send my kids, and where my heart is. As a military spouse I take my kids' educations seriously and look for excellent schools so that when we move my kids aren't far behind, but rather ahead of the curve. DVA provides quality education with heart and character. I'm sure there are many schools that educate Yuma youth and do so well, but DVA does it best. I am proud to work at DVA and strive, like all of our staff, to provide our students with knowledge and skills to prepare them for the future. DVA is leaps and bounds ahead of schools with technology integration programs nationally recognized by the Department of Defense and has state ratings of excellence. My kids are well prepared because of the staff at DVA, and I proudly speak of the positive things that DVA is doing for Yuma youth and the Yuma community. -Parent and teacher

Posted April 29, 2014

I've known Desert View Academy since 2007 when my oldest child was enrolled as a 1st Grader and I still have 2 kids there. The teachers are amazing and have very interesting teaching methods which help my kids thrive and succeed academically. The principal is very professional, has very strong leadership traits and her office is always open to everybody. All staff of DVA make sure that all students are empowered with what they need to help them succeed and become good citizens in the future.

Posted April 28, 2014

My children have attended DVA for the past few years. My husband and I could not be happier with the wonderful education they are receiving. In addition to learning mathematics, reading, writing, science and history, my children are also learning how to be good people and make good choices. We could not be happier with the teachers, principal, assistant principal, office people, etc. Everyone at DVA is fantastic. If you get a chance to check out this school, do it. You won't be sorry.

Posted April 27, 2014

Desert View Academy is an amazing school!! I can not say enough wonderful things about the school! Have two children that go to DVA one of my kiddos has some special needs, I was extremely nervous about putting my child with special needs in a Charter School I was not sure if they would have the resources needed. Before placing my children at DVA I met with the Principle and the supportive staff, I left the meeting in tears, I was overwhelmed with tears of joy. They were so supportive and positive about having my child there. I knew there was no other school in Yuma that my kids should go to. I am very pleased with the education and attention both my kids get. The Principle is AMAZING!! She greets the kiddos with a hug, hand shake or high five every morning as they walk into school, she knows every student by name! To me that shows how much she cares about her students!!!! In the mornings there is staff that lines the walk way greeting the kids as well. This school takes pride in our kiddos education, they nurture our kids and encourage them to do their best!! Bottom line.....DVA is the best school in Yuma!!

Posted April 11, 2014

Desert View Academy (DVA) is an outstanding school. Having taught for over a decade, I have been exposed to a plethora of school cultures and instructional ideologies. I have found that DVA is head and shoulders above other educational institutions. The success of the school can be attributed to committed leadership, dedicated staff, devoted parents, and focused students. Those four elements are entwined, so that the school environment is much like a family, with each member working toward the same goal, the success of all students. The school s curriculum is excellent, but it is how the curriculum is implemented that makes a difference and sets this school apart from others. At DVA, the faculty assesses each student, in order to determine his/her needs, and then, an individualized educational plan is put into action. With support like that, all students have equal opportunities for success. In addition to individualized instruction, students are also encouraged to become better citizens, as evidenced in the school s character-trait based practices. I highly recommend DVA, as the best school of choice in Yuma.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 48%N/A47%
Female 52%N/A49%
Male 48%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
American sign language
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Arizona Excellence (2013)
  • Arizona Excellence (2012)
  • Arizona Excellence (2011)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Pennies for Patients (2014)
  • Pennies for Patients (2013)
  • Pennies for Patients (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• 7:50 am
School end time
  • 2:50 pm
  • Debra Weigel
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (928) 314-1086

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Project-based
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Spanish
  • Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Math club
  • Odyssey of the Mind

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Carpe Diem Collegiate Middle School/High School