School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

There is no better school in Yuma. We would say in all of Arizona it would be hard to find another DVA. The school staff emphasizes character and the administration follows through on expectations.
September 28, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (12 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (22 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (21 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (9 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

I am thankful for the entire staff. They help my baby and I know they love her.

DVA is a school we are very thankful for. Thank you teachers, administration and staff for being the best school in Yuma.

My daughter start DVA last year. She had trouble. The principle and sssistant principle call me to talk to me about her progress. My daughter have to do kindergarten again. I was so sad. I just have a meeting with assistant principle and lady that helps my daughter. They say she is doing very good. I was not so sure but they know her very good. I am happy I keep my daughter at DVA she is getting love and education and her teacher Mrs Weber, the other lady that help her Mrs Tugon, and the assist principle mrs KB help her a lot. DVA us the best school and I love what they do for my little girl.

I am a teacher at DVA. I have never worked in an environment that is so fast paced, positive, challenging, and fun. DVA has the best students in the county and they work harder than any students I have ever been around. I can also attest to how hard each staff member works and I can absolutely say that our administration is by far the best I have ever worked with. The expectation at DVA is that all students will succeed, grow and meet their goals. Both Mrs Weigel and KB are amazing. They have open door policies and they are always available for me, my students, parents, and staff members. If you are looking for a school for your children, you should seriously consider DVA. It’s wonderful.

We have had our children at DVA for two years. Overall, we are very happy with their education and their teachers. In addition the office staff, Mrs Anita, Mrs Weigel and Mrs KB are extremely helpful. The special education teacher Mrs Trugeon is also wonderful. She goes out of her way to meet the needs of students that need extra help. If you want to visit a great school please call for a tour and ask for Mrs Margot. She will make you feel very welcomed and she will gladly show you around the beautiful school.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I have been fortunate enough to be on both the school and parent side of DVA. When I was a teacher, I knew that student concerns would be handled by Mrs KB. If she wasn't around, there was no use referring them to the office. Nothing happened. I still see the same. Both principals are very approachable and kind. Their leadership style is just very different.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

DVA has a very good reputation in Yuma for how the whole staff effectively supports students with learning differences. I credit Mrs KB and Mrs Trugeon for that. The two of them have build a strong program and are constant advocates for students. I have seen them in meetings almost every day and if I remember right, those meetings are to help students with special needs. I tip my hat to those ladies. They are incredibly patient and hardworking.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers are very effective. We believe they go out of their way to make sure all the kids get what they need. My two daughters have flourished at DVA and it is a school we highly recommend.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The administration at DVA is very good and very approachable. One thing that bothers us is that we never see Mrs KB receive credit for all she does. That woman is constantly on the move and she seems to have many of the answers parents and students ask. Just yesterday, it was her who was sitting with very active students at an assembly trying to keep them focused. One little boy was actually in her lap most of the time. Yes, Mrs Weigel is great but Mrs KB is never recognized for all she does and we love and respect her very much. She does wonders with our children.

My children have had a wonderful time at DVA. They are flourishing and both seem love school. My issue and caution is regarding the office staff and principal. They do not seem to value parents and only seem interested fluff and school image and more fluff. Parents concerns seem scoffed at and minimized. Yes it's a good school with fantastically caring teachers but administration seems our of touch except KB who will face problems head on and is very very honest. Sometimes her honesty can hurt because she tells it like it is but overall she is highly respected. She's not nonsense and nothing is sugar coated. She'll do whatever she can to make every person happy. She doesn't put up walls or blocks like the office staff and principal. My praise is for the teachers and how hard they work. My caution is for people there that turn a deaf ear to issues. Great school = yes as long as there are no issues.

Last modified Desert View Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.