Public charter
Yuma, AZ
After care: No

Desert View Academy 1

Posted May 26, 2015
It was a living nightmare when my child went to this school. The excellent certified teachers were fired, and the school slowly turned my child into a rude rebel. The administration was horrible. This was the worst choice of schools for my child.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 26, 2015
Dreadful administration driving out or firing excellent certified teachers mid year- or whenever, for NO GOOD REASON.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted May 26, 2015
This school is intentionally programing its students to reject parental guidance by blocking parents out of its activities, plans, and in general keeping them off campus. There is intentional programming that children are empowered as adults and justified in not respecting their parents or others classed as "uncool". When the student goes there, they are suddenly surrounded by a clique of friends who become their "family", and then they feel that they can stop all over their family, and be rude. In the end, the student will reject and not respect those who are not "cool" set by the silent standards given by the school and friends.

Posted May 11, 2015
Desert View Academy is one of the best combinations of academic excellence and a caring environment in the city. The administrative staff rocks. They spend time with students, and parents alike, to hear concerns and deal with issues fairly. Teachers care that students learn and engage them in their learning. The character-based education is a breath of fresh air in a day when values don't seem to matter. It can be seen in how the kids behave and interact with others. I love this school.

Posted May 06, 2015
We have had our two children enrolled at DVA for the past year. It has been an amazing experience and one we will never forget. We can only hope that we find the same caliber school in our new duty station. We absolutely love everything about the school - the teachers, Mrs Weigel, Mrs KB, the office staff, the nurse. The entire staff is wonderful. We cannot speak enough good words about this school.

Posted April 26, 2015
One thing I love about Desert View Academy is the safe environment for my children. One was bullied in our previous school, but the teachers and administration have made certain that she is safe. She comes home and tells us that she has friends, and loves DVA. We also appreciate the support for academics. There are many programs, such as IXL, that our children can work on at home. We love the positive attitude of the principals; they believe in our children.

Desert View Academy 1

Posted April 25, 2015
Don't expect your child to have the same teacher all year. Turnover rate is ridiculous. Education is great, administration is awful.

Posted April 17, 2015
I cannot say enough about this school. My children have attended DVA for 3 years. They love it. This week was testing week. My daughter's could not wait to get to school to take tests. The principals greeted them in the morning and awarded prizes to students for paying attention to their tests. I never liked tests and I have no idea what those ladies do to get kids excited about tests but it works. The whole school is amazing. All the teachers care about my children and that is comforting. I recommend DVA often and I could not imagine sending my girls anywhere else. If you are on the fence about the school, don't be. Check it out. You will be glad you did. It's an A++ school.

Desert View Academy 4

Posted April 08, 2015
Fantastic Charter school with teachers that really care about each and every student. We are a military family and have lived many places. We were very nervous about moving to Yuma because we had heard such terrible things about the schools. If your child is working above grade level they are adequately challenged and allowed to soar without being held back. They have an Odyssey of the Mind program that has won the State championships two years in a row in some age levels and made it to Worlds as well. They will be competing in Michigan this year. I have heard great things about their resource program and the support given to special needs children. The school is growing and moving to a new location. The only reasons I have given four stars instead of five are: lack of parent support, no on-site guidance counselor, and lack of an anti-bully program. Other than that I was thrilled to have my children attend this school and would do it again if I had the chance.

Posted March 31, 2015
This was my daughter's first year at Desert View. It has been a true joy to have her there. We are moving at the end of the month and we are finding that the schools in our new town don't compare. The staff at desert view are very caring and compassionate. My daughter had a rough time at the beginning of the year and her teacher and the assistant principal worked with her to help her fit in and become the student we all knew she could be. I cannot thank them enough for making my daughter feel special and for not giving up on her. I can only speak praise for the school.

2363 South Kennedy Lane, Yuma, AZ  85365
Last modified Desert View Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert View Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 94 reviews. Top