School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

There is no better school in Yuma. We would say in all of Arizona it would be hard to find another DVA. The school staff emphasizes character and the administration follows through on expectations.
September 28, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (12 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (22 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (21 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (9 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (11 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

My boyfriend and I cannot tell people how happy we are that the teachers and administraters at DVA are going to help my son. He has been in four different schools over the past couple of years. They have all been horrible. Noone would work with us. Today we had a meeting with the assistant principle Miss KB a teacher Miss Trudgton and our sons teacher Mrs Jollie. We were thrilled that they want to help us. We really believe them when they say they will do what is best for him. The assistant principle was shocked at how we had been treated in the past and she kepped saying that they are in the business of helping kids. She didn't say students she said kids. Her words told us she loves them. She also said something about kids being there business. We thought that was really cool and not normal. Both me and my boyfriend belief that the school wants the best for my son. The meeting was great and we left feeling HOPE. We have not had that in many years. A change of schools can do great things it is just to bad we wated to long to move to DVA. DVA is a great school. I am so happy my son is a student there. I recomend it to everyone. Best school EVER. No doubt in our minds.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

I am at DVA a lot because my children attend the school and I am involved in their education. One thing I have noticed is that the leadership style of the principals is very polar. One smiles and addresses very little. She is lovely principal of school and beloved by all, The assistant principal is the one that walks right into storms and deals with problems. She has the respect of many but I have a feeling its a silent respect. I am sure she doesn't know her impact. Before DVA I often wondered which approach I would prefer and I believe it is the latter. KB always calls things like she sees them and she is not afraid to ask questions. I respect that. She also has a core group of teachers that seem to believe in her and follow her direct approach. My friends and i all appreciate that and it is because of the staffs honesty that I refer the school. Yes my children have grown but there is something special at DVA because of the leadership. It is well worth looking into if you are considering switching schools or if you are PCSing to Yuma.

This week was a great week for my kids. They had two christmas concerts and they were both great. The whole DVA staff was welcoming and helpful. If you are looking for a school that is strong in academics and that stresses behavior education DVA is the place for you. We have a great principle and an assistant principle that makes sure order is kept. The two of them and the awesone teachers make DVA the best school in Arizona. There is no where else I would send my chidren.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

I am thankful for the entire staff. They help my baby and I know they love her.

DVA is a school we are very thankful for. Thank you teachers, administration and staff for being the best school in Yuma.

My daughter start DVA last year. She had trouble. The principle and sssistant principle call me to talk to me about her progress. My daughter have to do kindergarten again. I was so sad. I just have a meeting with assistant principle and lady that helps my daughter. They say she is doing very good. I was not so sure but they know her very good. I am happy I keep my daughter at DVA she is getting love and education and her teacher Mrs Weber, the other lady that help her Mrs Tugon, and the assist principle mrs KB help her a lot. DVA us the best school and I love what they do for my little girl.

I am a teacher at DVA. I have never worked in an environment that is so fast paced, positive, challenging, and fun. DVA has the best students in the county and they work harder than any students I have ever been around. I can also attest to how hard each staff member works and I can absolutely say that our administration is by far the best I have ever worked with. The expectation at DVA is that all students will succeed, grow and meet their goals. Both Mrs Weigel and KB are amazing. They have open door policies and they are always available for me, my students, parents, and staff members. If you are looking for a school for your children, you should seriously consider DVA. It’s wonderful.

We have had our children at DVA for two years. Overall, we are very happy with their education and their teachers. In addition the office staff, Mrs Anita, Mrs Weigel and Mrs KB are extremely helpful. The special education teacher Mrs Trugeon is also wonderful. She goes out of her way to meet the needs of students that need extra help. If you want to visit a great school please call for a tour and ask for Mrs Margot. She will make you feel very welcomed and she will gladly show you around the beautiful school.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I have been fortunate enough to be on both the school and parent side of DVA. When I was a teacher, I knew that student concerns would be handled by Mrs KB. If she wasn't around, there was no use referring them to the office. Nothing happened. I still see the same. Both principals are very approachable and kind. Their leadership style is just very different.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

DVA has a very good reputation in Yuma for how the whole staff effectively supports students with learning differences. I credit Mrs KB and Mrs Trugeon for that. The two of them have build a strong program and are constant advocates for students. I have seen them in meetings almost every day and if I remember right, those meetings are to help students with special needs. I tip my hat to those ladies. They are incredibly patient and hardworking.

Last modified Desert View Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.