Public charter
Yuma, AZ
After care: No

Posted December 17, 2014
My grandchildren attend DVA. They love it and I love the fact that the teachers and principals teach more than just academics. This week is holiday spirit week. It's been a lot of fun to help my grandkids dress up in the different theme outfits. We love the school and cannot sing its praises enough.

Posted December 17, 2014
My family is moving over the holiday break. It breaks our hearts to have to leave Desert View. The teachers are amazing. The principal and vice principal are very visible and they are extremely involved in everything. We see them all the time and the kids love them as much as their teachers. We hope we can find a school in Phoenix as great as this one. We highly recommend it.

Posted December 03, 2014
We recently moved to Yuma and I am thrilled to have our two children at Desert View Academy. They began the year by setting goals with MAPs, and the teachers continually challenge them to reach those goals. My first grader is already writing stories and we are amazed at how much she has learned! The principal goes into the classrooms and knows the students by name, rather than just sitting in her office like the principal at our old school. We also really like Mission Monday, and look forward to the call on Sunday evening to hear what the Mission for the week will be. We are glad to be a part of DVA, and would highly recommend it to other families.

Desert View Academy 2

Posted December 02, 2014
We have been pleased with the quality of teaching. My student struggled at the beginning of the year to meet the high expectations but eventually understood the requirements. HOWEVER- the administration is horrible. The only amicable front office member is Margot and the leadership is completely jaded. Sometimes it seems like they are running a concentration camp instead of an elementary school.

Posted June 20, 2014
Desert View is an awesome alternative to traditional under performing public schools. I enrolled my 3 children at DVA and they flourished there. They went from falling far below to meets or exceeds in all core subject areas in the first 2 quarters of the school year. For the parents that want to see how well educators do when left to their own teaching devices and merits, our public charters are the way to go. They do far more with less funding and without all the bureaucratic red tape and teachers unions our traditional public schools use. These educators aren't teaching to test they are actually teaching core subjects along with good character traits. Be respectable, be responsible and be safe!

Desert View Academy 4

Posted June 17, 2014
I just finished going to DVA I have been there kinder through 5th Grade. Through all these years I have learned so much. Not just about math, social studies, and other subjects. I also learned how to be a better friend and learned lots of character. And got lots of friends. Sometime the teachers go hard on you but some of them are really nice and fun. My favorite activities were the pennies for patients fundraiser and pool day. I really enjoyed my 6 years at DVA. Sometimes they will push you hard to do something. But trust me if you go there you will like it. Have Fun :)

Desert View Academy 1

Posted June 06, 2014
At first it was great, then a vice principle comes and takes all the teachers that were great, and throws them away! They should keep the teachers that gave good education to that school.

Desert View Academy 3

Posted May 30, 2014
We move a lot and I was very nervous coming here, because I heard about Yuma's educational system and I had not heard good news. My kids started at one school and we were not happy so moved them to DVA. The teachers at DVA are outstanding. They really care about the kids and do their best. My complaints are with Resource and the staff managing the school. If your child has special needs, this is not the place to send them. The resource teachers seem to change alot and must not be given good guidance or not qualified to teach special needs. There were so many teachers and staff let go this year, my children were upset. I am glad they weren't in sixth grade because three were let go without a reason given to the parents! That tells me there is an internal problem. I heard from a friend that there was an overworked single teacher left to teach them. There will not be sixth grade next year, maybe they are cleaning house? The teachers seem unhappy and stressed. I am worried about my two children being there next year,after AIMS testing my children spent the rest of the year playing at school. Seems like the quality education led up to AIMS and stopped.

Desert View Academy 1

Posted May 28, 2014
This school has people that were great teachers. They really connected with students. They were caring, respectful, loving, and awesome. This school is horrible. They fire everyone that the students like. The principal made some vice principle so then she could help with writing. The assistant principle thinks she owns the whole place. She acts like she's the queen, even though she wasn't even here half the year.

Posted May 23, 2014
I am responding to a post that states it is a requirement for the staff to post positive reviews and comments about DVA being an excellent school and positive comments about the principal. Great Schools was running a contest, and a school was going to be awarded $5000. The requirement was to post a minimum of 10 reviews during the month of May to be eligible for the contest. Staff and parents were encouraged to post reviews regarding their experience at Desert View Academy. Our administrators never required us to post. I love teaching at Desert View Academy, and have every confidence that my own children are receiving a top notch education from caring staff and administrators.

Desert View Academy
2363 South Kennedy Lane, Yuma, AZ  85365
Last modified Desert View Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert View Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 81 reviews. Top