School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

There is no better school in Yuma. We would say in all of Arizona it would be hard to find another DVA. The school staff emphasizes character and the administration follows through on expectations.
September 28, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (12 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (23 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (21 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (10 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (11 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I believe the teachers at DVA work very hard. In fact I am sure they do more than any other teachers in the area.

I have apreciated the students, parents, KB and everyone else. Principle is another story.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

This is a subjectivt topic. Principal has favorites and is not as honest as she should be.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Today my son earned some scholastic awards. He was thrilled and it was a very positive experience for him. In fact since he started DVA he has done so much better than when he was in our district school. He is supported by his teachers and the principles. He told us that both of them were at the award ceremony. He was sure they were there for him. I dont know if that is true or not but just the fact he thinks that shows us that he believes they care about him. Thank you for making my son feel so special. He has thrived at your school. It is trueley a diamond in the rough. My son is a new person and it is because of DVA.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

My boyfriend and I cannot tell people how happy we are that the teachers and administraters at DVA are going to help my son. He has been in four different schools over the past couple of years. They have all been horrible. Noone would work with us. Today we had a meeting with the assistant principle Miss KB a teacher Miss Trudgton and our sons teacher Mrs Jollie. We were thrilled that they want to help us. We really believe them when they say they will do what is best for him. The assistant principle was shocked at how we had been treated in the past and she kepped saying that they are in the business of helping kids. She didn't say students she said kids. Her words told us she loves them. She also said something about kids being there business. We thought that was really cool and not normal. Both me and my boyfriend belief that the school wants the best for my son. The meeting was great and we left feeling HOPE. We have not had that in many years. A change of schools can do great things it is just to bad we wated to long to move to DVA. DVA is a great school. I am so happy my son is a student there. I recomend it to everyone. Best school EVER. No doubt in our minds.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

I am at DVA a lot because my children attend the school and I am involved in their education. One thing I have noticed is that the leadership style of the principals is very polar. One smiles and addresses very little. She is lovely principal of school and beloved by all, The assistant principal is the one that walks right into storms and deals with problems. She has the respect of many but I have a feeling its a silent respect. I am sure she doesn't know her impact. Before DVA I often wondered which approach I would prefer and I believe it is the latter. KB always calls things like she sees them and she is not afraid to ask questions. I respect that. She also has a core group of teachers that seem to believe in her and follow her direct approach. My friends and i all appreciate that and it is because of the staffs honesty that I refer the school. Yes my children have grown but there is something special at DVA because of the leadership. It is well worth looking into if you are considering switching schools or if you are PCSing to Yuma.

This week was a great week for my kids. They had two christmas concerts and they were both great. The whole DVA staff was welcoming and helpful. If you are looking for a school that is strong in academics and that stresses behavior education DVA is the place for you. We have a great principle and an assistant principle that makes sure order is kept. The two of them and the awesone teachers make DVA the best school in Arizona. There is no where else I would send my chidren.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

I am thankful for the entire staff. They help my baby and I know they love her.

DVA is a school we are very thankful for. Thank you teachers, administration and staff for being the best school in Yuma.

My daughter start DVA last year. She had trouble. The principle and sssistant principle call me to talk to me about her progress. My daughter have to do kindergarten again. I was so sad. I just have a meeting with assistant principle and lady that helps my daughter. They say she is doing very good. I was not so sure but they know her very good. I am happy I keep my daughter at DVA she is getting love and education and her teacher Mrs Weber, the other lady that help her Mrs Tugon, and the assist principle mrs KB help her a lot. DVA us the best school and I love what they do for my little girl.

Last modified Desert View Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.