School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

There is no better school in Yuma. We would say in all of Arizona it would be hard to find another DVA. The school staff emphasizes character and the administration follows through on expectations.
September 28, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (12 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (26 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (23 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (12 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (12 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

DVA is hands down the best school in Yuma. The kids are great and they are eager to learn. Most of the teachers are the best and the a.p. is approachable. But, there are people on the staff that are not of good character and that makes DVA a hard place to work. The constant gossiping is hard to face every day. The principle says she loves the teachers but she talks about all of them behind their backs. She asks teachers to not gossip but she is in the middle of all of it and her secretary is right there with her taking notes. DVA is a character school for the kids but not the leaders If you have kids, send them to DVA. It really is a great school.

My experiene at this school was horrible. I found the people to be untrustworthy. The principle said one thing but did another her secretary was horrible to people that did not suck up. The teachers were ok but they gossiped horribly and one of the teachers in a supervisor role was a completely immoral but seemed to be trusted by the principle. Don't read this wrong there are some good people at DVA just not the place for me

When we moved to Yuma we knew we had to get our son in to DVA. Fast forward three years. He's grown and changed more than we could have imagined. Through ups and downs the staff has helped us especially Mrs KB. I hugged her yesterday for the last time. She teared up and told me how much she loved me and my son. We will never forget her kindness, love and fairness. DVA is an amazing school. Thank you Ms English, Ms Allen and Ms Will. We are forever in your debt.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I can not say enough positive things about the teachers. Our son has been at Desert View for 2 years. In that time. He has learned a lot and he has been held to high standards. We thank the teachers and leaders for making a difference in his life. He is a different young person and DVA is to thank.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

Three school leaders. Principal, assistant principal and Anita. Two of them were pretty open and fair. One not so much. I always knew where I stood with Anita and KB. The head of school played favorites and was dishonest.Nothing more to write.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Character is reinforced all the time. I can not tell you how many times I heard KB referring to the 3 bees and the different traits. She did a good job being fair and consistant. Every one knew where they stood with her. She did not have favorites. I appreciated how transparant she was with every one and because of her I stayed as long as I did. Other administration at the school approached things different and should not be trusted.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers at DVA are great. They work very hard and they do what ever it takes to make sure students grow. I am proud that I was once a part of the teaching staff and I can not say enough good things about them.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I believe the teachers at DVA work very hard. In fact I am sure they do more than any other teachers in the area.

I have apreciated the students, parents, KB and everyone else. Principle is another story.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

This is a subjectivt topic. Principal has favorites and is not as honest as she should be.

Last modified Desert View Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.