Public charter
Yuma, AZ
After care: No

Posted April 17, 2015
I cannot say enough about this school. My children have attended DVA for 3 years. They love it. This week was testing week. My daughter's could not wait to get to school to take tests. The principals greeted them in the morning and awarded prizes to students for paying attention to their tests. I never liked tests and I have no idea what those ladies do to get kids excited about tests but it works. The whole school is amazing. All the teachers care about my children and that is comforting. I recommend DVA often and I could not imagine sending my girls anywhere else. If you are on the fence about the school, don't be. Check it out. You will be glad you did. It's an A++ school.

Desert View Academy 4

Posted April 08, 2015
Fantastic Charter school with teachers that really care about each and every student. We are a military family and have lived many places. We were very nervous about moving to Yuma because we had heard such terrible things about the schools. If your child is working above grade level they are adequately challenged and allowed to soar without being held back. They have an Odyssey of the Mind program that has won the State championships two years in a row in some age levels and made it to Worlds as well. They will be competing in Michigan this year. I have heard great things about their resource program and the support given to special needs children. The school is growing and moving to a new location. The only reasons I have given four stars instead of five are: lack of parent support, no on-site guidance counselor, and lack of an anti-bully program. Other than that I was thrilled to have my children attend this school and would do it again if I had the chance.
3 people found this helpful

Posted March 31, 2015
This was my daughter's first year at Desert View. It has been a true joy to have her there. We are moving at the end of the month and we are finding that the schools in our new town don't compare. The staff at desert view are very caring and compassionate. My daughter had a rough time at the beginning of the year and her teacher and the assistant principal worked with her to help her fit in and become the student we all knew she could be. I cannot thank them enough for making my daughter feel special and for not giving up on her. I can only speak praise for the school.

Posted January 26, 2015
We just moved to Yuma, and are thrilled with DVA. My child came home his first day and said, "I met two principals, and they are nice!" In our old school, the kids only saw the principal when they were in trouble. The teachers have taken the time to explain how students set goals for their learning, and how they will work to achieve those goals. We are very happy to have found this school for our children.

Posted January 25, 2015
We are new to Desert View this year and we could not be happier with the school, the teachers, and the principals. Our children actually love going to school. They come home each day with great stories to tell. There attitudes are great and we believe it is totally due to the staff at the school. In edition to the teachers the principals know our children. Mrs Wegel greets them each day at the gate and Mrs KB plays with them on the playground. We have never known principals to be so involved with students. We highly recommend the school to anyone that asks.

Posted December 28, 2014
We are moving back to Yuma in a few months and we just started looking at schools in the area. We have lived there before and our kids attended public, private and online schools before enrolling at Desert View. After seeing that our kids favorite teacher is now the assistant principal we will be enrolling all of our children there. Not only does the school have a great reputation and super teachers but it also has someone we love and respect there. So happy! We highly recommend the school.

Posted December 17, 2014
My grandchildren attend DVA. They love it and I love the fact that the teachers and principals teach more than just academics. This week is holiday spirit week. It's been a lot of fun to help my grandkids dress up in the different theme outfits. We love the school and cannot sing its praises enough.

Posted December 17, 2014
My family is moving over the holiday break. It breaks our hearts to have to leave Desert View. The teachers are amazing. The principal and vice principal are very visible and they are extremely involved in everything. We see them all the time and the kids love them as much as their teachers. We hope we can find a school in Phoenix as great as this one. We highly recommend it.

Desert View Academy 2

Posted December 02, 2014
We have been pleased with the quality of teaching. My student struggled at the beginning of the year to meet the high expectations but eventually understood the requirements. HOWEVER- the administration is horrible. The only amicable front office member is Margot and the leadership is completely jaded. Sometimes it seems like they are running a concentration camp instead of an elementary school.

Posted June 20, 2014
Desert View is an awesome alternative to traditional under performing public schools. I enrolled my 3 children at DVA and they flourished there. They went from falling far below to meets or exceeds in all core subject areas in the first 2 quarters of the school year. For the parents that want to see how well educators do when left to their own teaching devices and merits, our public charters are the way to go. They do far more with less funding and without all the bureaucratic red tape and teachers unions our traditional public schools use. These educators aren't teaching to test they are actually teaching core subjects along with good character traits. Be respectable, be responsible and be safe!

Desert View Academy
2363 South Kennedy Lane, Yuma, AZ  85365
Last modified Desert View Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert View Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 85 reviews. Top