9-12 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Posted June 01, 2016
Bentonville High School is the top performing public school in the state of Arkansas. The school has a music program which competes on the National level and a very powerful sports culture as year after year they win several state titles. Academic opportunity at BHS meets a high standard as they host high caliber AP and IB Programs and provide a great volume of career focus groups as well as counseling to prepare students for college. BHS has a positive culture which creates a strong sense of community and problems with instances of bullying and cyber-bullying are far and few between. Overall this school very well accomplishes it's primary function to help students define their goals, effectively teach students, and prepare them for college and life after High School.

Posted July 16, 2015
This high school is an excellent school to go to. I am a special need student who goes here and I don't think it's that bad after you get use to it. I really don't have friends at the high school since I'm different but at least I made 1 best friend at the HS since she understands my problems.

Posted May 01, 2014
Bentonville High School is the best school I've ever been to and I am glad I had the opportunity to attend this great school.

Posted December 23, 2013
(5 stars on a state basis) As with any large school, a student that wants to can fall between the cracks. So if you want to be a slug, you can. It is a public school, therefore the students range from low to high ability and motivation. My kids attended national blue ribbon schools in Missouri before moving to Arkansas; one of my kids attended the Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences, and the Arts; and my wife is an educator; so I think I have some perspective. This school offers remarkable opportunities in a wide variety of ways, from extracurricular activities to classes. Yes, some of the students are spoiled brats, but name me a school of affluence that doesn't possess them. You will be prepared to achieve in any collegiate setting if you have the ability and utilize the opportunities available here.

Posted August 22, 2013
Bentonville High School is a very large school, but the teachers and counselors are responsive to parental input. It is well run and orderly. The older teachers are excellent, but some of the younger ones can't teach worth beans. Lots of AP courses, but they are tough! Sports are way too competitive, it is way too tough for a kid who is in all AP or pre AP courses to be on the team, because the sport is like another AP course. On the other hand, if you are a serious athlete, the teams win! My kids both liked/like it.

Bentonville High School 3

Posted January 17, 2013
I used to go to the High School before I was accepted to a the Mathematics/Science school in Hot Springs. When I arrived and started classes, I realized that BHS had not properly prepared me for college or anything of the sort. I had no idea how to write academic papers (it was not something that you did or learned how to do in my English classes at BHS) and I found that I was missing the many of the basics for mathematics, things that students from other schools seemed to have already learned. You can imagine my surprise. I came from a large 7A school only to find that I had to play catch-up with students from other, less famed, schools.

Bentonville High School 1

Posted April 23, 2012
I am a single parent of a Bentonville high school student. I have had nothing but issues with the staff and administration at this school. They have accused and bullied my student from day one. This year he was expelled on the first day of school before he even reached his first class because he was accused of being on drugs. After they had him arrested at school he was able to pass two drug screens and after a full semester they decided to drop the charges. Again this week, a teacher accused him of being on drugs again and after detaining him he passed 3 drug screens. I am a middle class working mother who is not able to donate to the athletic boosters or the PTO. Therefore, my child is look down upon and bullied by the administration. If your student is not wealthy, acedemically superior, or and outstanding athlete they will not do well in this school. They only want students that will make them look outstanding and families that are able to donate to their school.

Posted November 28, 2011
BHS can be a good experience - but be prepared! As a parent, you must stay on top of what is going on - and help your child find their "niche". The student population is too large for the counselors to be of any real academic help - there is no student advisory happening at BHS. And don't look to the Principal, either -- she is of no help. My senior is in the top 5% of his class academically, and scored in the top 10% of ACT nationally, has been involved in student government, choir and other extra-curricular. He has never been advised on his academic scheduling, much less on options for college or post-HS options. Too many students for the counselors to deal with. They like to stick to their "formula" - regardless if it benefits the individual student. I have had to fight for my student's scheduling for 4 years. I fear for the kids who have parents that are too busy, ill-equipped or disengaged to advocate for their student. If your student is not superior in at least one component (athletic or academic) - there is little chance for them to thrive at highly competitive BHS.

Posted February 23, 2011
This is our first year at BHS; once you get over the student population size, the school (teachers and staff) are very friendly. Teachers communicate frequently through emails. There is no hand-holding from teachers, if your student misses school, they are responsible for getting their work assignments - welcome to adult hood! :) Have not had any dealings with the Principal or VP, which is a good thing; office staff is friendly enough; the counselors are extremely helpful and respond to phone calls or emails in a timely manner. BHS offers a variety of extra-curricular activities and a wide range of academic classes to choose from.

Posted September 06, 2010
I attend here and it is a great school. I personally think that the school cares about its students and expects the best from them. The ones that slack off and don't work like to say that the school is not for the students when it's really the student not caring about their education.

Bentonville High School
1801 SE J St, Bentonville, AR  72712
Last modified Bentonville High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.