Elm Tree Elementary School

Public | K-4

Posted May 27, 2014

Elm Tree is an excellent school. There is a waiting list for enrollment. If your kid is enrolled in Elm Tree you will see why. The school creates a safe environment where kids can learn. Elm Tree is consistently on the high end for test scores. The teachers are down to earth and easy to talk to.

Posted April 16, 2014

This school is all over the news for how poorly it treats kids with autism. My son is not autistic but he knows those kids and says it makes him sad to see it. We moved here from the Northeast where he had autistic kids in his class; in this school they keep them all in a room. Our baby is getting tested soon for autism so I'm frightened!

Posted January 18, 2013

Schools are only teaching english and Maths (That too not the whole of the book. Many pages will be untouched.). that too they just want the students to pass the state exam. apart from that the schools are not teaching anything.There are text books given by the govt. Science and Social Studies are left untouched. Looks like the teaches don;t know these subjects.

Posted March 2, 2011

We moved here from NC. I have a 1st and 2nd grader and we wanted a great school like we had before we moved. After a month at Mary Mae Jones my daughter got a place at ETE. I am sooooo thankful she made it in!! The caliber of teaching, the love and support both my daughter and I have received is night and day from MMJ. I received a few emails from her teacher letting me know how she was fitting in and asking if I had concerns or needs. The standard of work is much higher than at MMJ, my 1st grader's work is very similar to my 2nd graders who is unfortunately is still at MMJ. We can't wait for him to move to ETE so he doesn't fall behind the standard that is so apparent her at Elm Tree. See my review of MMJ.

Posted December 7, 2010

An awesome school to put your student in all the teachers are hardworking my daughter has been going to this schoold for the last 2 yrs and she loves it. i love all the teachers and the principal she is an awesome lady. love all the kids nows all of the students in her schoold by name.

Posted May 26, 2010

We couldn't be more thrilled with Elm Tree Elementary!! We come from Florida where the schools are all about testing, here it is about giving my child an excellent education in all areas! I love all of the staff, they are very nice and the principal seems to actually care about my child and what we have to say. I don't think my child could be getting a better education.

Posted June 25, 2009

I must disagree with the last review that this is a cold and negative environment -- in fact, it is quite the opposite. The teachers and other staff go out of their way to learn the names of all of the students and address them by name when they see them. The teachers will work with parents, kids and each other to resolve any issues that might arise during the school year. The academic environment is super and they really challenge the children to learn and make it fun to do so. My child has been out of school for less than a week of summer break and he is already asking to go back! We love how much he's learned since he's been there and look forward to our next one starting in a couple of years! Elm Tree is great!

Posted September 25, 2008

This school was a huge disappointment. We really wanted a nurturing environment for our child, Instead, our child received a very cold and negative environment! Our child's teacher was too strict and our child was deathly afraid of her. In the mornings, if you dare walk your child in the classroom, the teacher won't even look at you. In fact she will snob you! This is what my child had to endure! We tried speaking with the people in charge at this school. They were all very defensive and did not want to listen to any concerns we had. In the end, we felt so serious about these issues, we pulled our child out of the school. The parents there really try hard to make it work but the 'military like' environment was really too much for us. Be prepared to wait 35-45 min. everyday, for car pickup! Very unorganized p/u.

Posted March 7, 2008

I have 2 children attending ETE. We have been here for the past 3 years. We love this school.. Not only do the teachers go out of their way to work with any challenge your child has academically or socially , but also physically. My child has Type 1 diabetes. The full time nurse, Mrs. King is exceptional! All of the teachers, staff, principal,etc. know her and what to look for. They are so accepting of the parents being involved and never once made me feel unwanted at the beginning of the year when I was up there so often. I feel so comfortable with her education and care, it is such a relief. The principal knows you by name and your children. Everyone is very friendly.

Posted May 22, 2007

Having recently relocated, education was a big concern for my family. The level of education and student teacher interaction is unparalleled in my experience. The faculty involves the parents and students. When an issue was discovered in my childs educational pathway, the faculty responded immediately and called a meeting with us, with the Principal, V Principal, counselors, teacher....WOW! Reward and recognition programs are outstanding...and the community support and involvement is second to none. Thanks Elm Tree Staff

Posted April 12, 2007

In response to the previous feedback & to the fairness of the school, I must say that my experience and that of my 3 children has been extremely positive. I have a child with autism that requires special help. Elm Tree's staff has always been very supportive and has done everything possible to be equipped for his care. Granted some teachers are more motivated than others to learn of a childs issues and how to deal with them, but in the 5 years that he has been at ETE, each year has shown dramatic improvement and promise for his future. I'm afraid that it is not fair to judge one school in another state to ETE for many reasons, including the funds that are available for those schools and the extracurricular support network. I do feel that there is alot more that can be done, and is in the future.

Posted August 4, 2006

We have been at Elm Tree for 3 years now. I am a volunteer, I am also a substitute in this district with an opportunity to teach at other elementaries. I have found that since the zoning came into effect, the schools are all very well balanced, not only on a socio-economic basis but on a racial basis too. The curriculums are similar if not the same throughout, the teachers are great at all schools. SO why choose Elm Tree ? Results...ETE continuosly rates first in the district even after the zoning - I believe that 'year-round' (and its great principal) has moved Baker to its second place position. The teachers love the kids and they create a bond not only with them but with the parents too, with those parents that are willing to open their hearts and minds. Together we work to ensure our childrens success!

Posted August 4, 2006

Elm Tree should indeed be judged by their test scores. Education is the sole reason they are in school. Parent volunteerism is a key componet in the morale of the school which is reflected in those scores. ETE is not 'better' than the other schools in the district. It's continuos calendar allows for several 'spring breaks' which afford the school refreshed staff & students. When I moved to Bentonville from out of state, I knew no one. Meeting parents through the school has been a wonderful experience for me and has encouraged me to volunteer even more every year.

Posted February 15, 2006

This is a year round school. The academic standard are high. Standardized Test scores are high. The teachers are dedicated. It is a rich environment and a good place for your child.

Posted November 30, 2005

My view of Elm Tree is a very positive one. I have two children there and both have had great teachers. I am astounded that people would publicly announce their disappointment about a school that there child attends, rather than support it and make an effort to correct problems rather than complain. I help at the school, on occasion, but the teachers seem very appreciative of the help they receive, and that allows them more time in the classroom. The economic issue seems to have gone away with the addition of new schools due to the growth in the area. I believe that ETE is a very good school. There are problems at every school. We are very fortunate that our problems are as minor as having too many volunteers, or our morning pick up not being smooth!

Posted August 30, 2005

Elm Tree has an exciting approach to learning, but has it's faults just like the rest. The hype about Elm Tree is just that, Hype. I believe there can be too much parental volunteering, especially when volunteering appears to be just for self gratification and to have teacher picks. The purpose of the PTA and Parent Volunteering should be to help the school, not run it. If the leadership was in place the school wouldn't be overun by Mommies that need somewhere to go and socialize. I'm sure the teachers would like to comment, but can't. My advice is to not sign up to volunteer unless you are prepared for drama!

Posted July 30, 2005

I would consider ETE to be an average school. I believe there are staff members and parents alike that desire to make it a great place, but somehow it falls short. You do see some groups working hard together, like the before school student drop off procedures. Every morning the same few worked very hard to make things work smoothly and safely. They did a great job. The school does a good job of organizing events and communicating them. But, be prepared to pay for every extra activity offered. I was very disappointed with my child's teacher last year. This teacher was not skilled in creating a learning environment. If there were more 'economically challenged' children attending ETE, a teacher like this would never be able to handle the challenges it would bring.

Posted September 13, 2004

I thought ETE would reflect it's reputation for being an elite school, but was completely diappointed. The talk is nothing but hype by a bunch of parents that live fake lives in a fantasy world. The people spreading the news about ETE being so much better than the other schoools in the area are simply unaware of the qualities necessary to create a great school. Just read the previous post to get an idea of the precociously arrogant people who have children at ETE. Oh, and the 'priveledged' kids of Wal-Mart executives either put their kids in pvt schools or pay for a pvt homeschool tutor. They don't attend Bentonville public schools. Please get a grip. You're ranked in the 85th percentile in a state ranked dead last. Plus, have you ever wondered how ETE would score without 1-2 hours of homework each night? I wonder what the teachers actually do?

Posted May 19, 2004

If you go by test scores, the school looks great. However, I think that is more reflective of the socioeconomic status of the parents whose children attend the school than the quality of the school itself. Both my children attend Elm Tree, and as in any other school, they have had exceptional teachers and some who were less than stellar. In general, I would rate it as a good school, but certainly not that much better than the other Bentonville schools. It is, however, a very privileged school with little or no racial or economic diversity.

Grade level

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 79% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 86% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the Benchmark Exam to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in literacy and grades 3 through 8 in math. The Benchmark Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Arkansas Department of Education

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 85% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Arkansas Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 12%N/A61%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

101 Elm Tree Ln