Bryant High School

Public | 9-12 | 2319 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 8, 2005

Excellent school. It is up to the student to learn and do their best. I want to extend a big thank you to Alan Peek for standing for and demanding academic excellence! He deserves Teacher of the Year!

Posted May 2, 2005

I attended Bryant schools from 1st grade through 12th grade. I was pretty much an average student; however, I tried hard. I think this is the key to any school, you have to put in something to get something out. I remain involved with this school district because I believe with my whole heart that it is one of the best. I am beginning my student teaching for college this Fall, and have already had experience with a lot of other schools. In all of my experiences, none even come close to being the school Bryant is! I think for those that have negative to say they need to go look and see what else is out there, they will find that Bryant is and will remain one of the best schools all around.

Posted October 18, 2004

Me and my wife both graduated from bryant, and it is a really great school. The teachers were always really helpful if you had a problem. I do think the school should go back to the 7 period day, because i dont think the kids are getting enough out of the block scheduling. Football has always been big in the school, but keeping your grades up are the most important things in the school district. I would say that bhs is one of the best schools in the entire state. Go hornets.

Posted October 13, 2004

This is by far the best school that could possibly be built. The staff is excellent. (with exceptions of a few teachers as every school) the teachers for the most part explain everything good and are all about us students having the best education possible. they respect us, as we respect them. they learn from us. and we learn from them. i would have to rate this school as perfect. thank you.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 8, 2004

I would not recommend this school to anyone with a mentally challenged or handicapped child. If you have an IEP, do not expect it to be followed, as they do not care. If your child happens to be behaviorly challenged, watch very closely about how your child is being treated. The only successful children are the ones who are model students, or into athletics.

Posted July 27, 2004

I attend Bryant High School, and overall it is a great school, but it does need some improvements. The biggest improvement needed is for the funding to not completely focus on football and other major sports. We need healthier foods, and all we have is junk food and vending machines. A lot of the teachers shouldn't be allowed to teach. They are mean to students, or they just rush through the lesson to go get on the internet. The teachers and staff at Bryant are always looking for things to punish the students for. The teachers want students punished all the time, even if it is not needed. We also need new busses that aren't falling apart. Our school doesn't need to focus so much on football, cheerleading, and dance team; our school needs to focus more on academics and treating all the students fairly. Not favoring football players and cheerleaders.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 21, 2004

My daughter attended Bryant K-12, graduating in 2001. Overall, the teachers were excellent. We experienced 2 who should not be permitted to teach! Their math program needs significant improvement - many students do poorly during high school and need remediation in college for math. Teachers need to communicate better with parents on a routine basis - not just at parent-teacher conferences. Prioritizing their spending/budgets with scholarly activities being first and athletics and other extracurricular activities being last is the single, most significant decision Bryant could make. In real life, the majority of people make a living using their scholarly knowledge, not athletic ability. Their choir program is excellent, but you hear very little about it, even though choir has more first place state awards of all the extra-curricular activities at Bryant! In the big picture, Bryant remains one of the best school districts in the state!

Posted July 13, 2004

My son has attended Bryant since K and I would like to say that we have been overall pleased with the school system. I do agree that too much emphasis is spent on football and not equally shared with the other sports that Bryant offers. My son will be a senior this year and loves the block scheduling. However, I feel there are definitely disadvantages in offering this type of class schedule. My husband and I both graduated from Bryant and there have been numerous improvements over the last 20 years. I do think the enthusiam and support the students are allowed to show (especially at basketball games) is not handled correctly and they should be allowed to show more school spirit especially they need more pep rallys, school funtions to promote school spirit.

Posted February 23, 2004

Both of my sons attended Bryant K-12. Both were active in school related activities. I agree that emphasis is spent on football and not enough on other things, but overall I would rate Bryant a very highly recommended school.

Posted October 6, 2003

District spends too much on sports & extra-curricular activities. ($30,000 to resod football field when some classes didn't have enough take-home or in-class texts.) We have many great teachers, but the bad ones are THE WORST. The only parental-involvement wanted at the H.S. is as unpaid labor (landscaping, filing, library work, etc.). We no longer use nationally-comparative tests, just the state test, and students that make A's often score at BASIC proficency. Too many students need remediation @ college. Academic communication is poor.

Posted September 9, 2003

My son graduated from the Bryant schools and recieved a full-ride to Ouachita Baptist University. Our daughter did k-12 at Bryant schools and is now (2003-2004) studying on a full scholarship in Japan.

Posted August 26, 2003

Bryant's Stanford results are misleading. As of 2002, among our graduating seniors who were college bound, we had a remediation rate of 51%, our highest ever. This is a common problem for schools using a 4X4 block schedule. This sends students to college not fully prepared for the challenges of college life. The Bryant School District is governed by a politically charged and controversial school board that disrupted the career of one of Bryant's finest superintendents ever. Our new superintendent, however, shows bright promise in standing up to the Board in the future. Bryant has a 'super-campus' that is too large, too sprawling and too disorganized. All of the emphasis seems to be on sports rather than new schools. This district needs to get its priorities straight -- and that means greater parental involvement. Unfortunately, only about 6% of voters participate in school board elections here. As the father of a 1998 graduate, I would not recommend this school until academic reforms are in place.

Posted August 26, 2003

Bryant provides a safe environment for students. However, there is too much emphasis on athletics and a lot of the school's money goes toward the athletics program instead of the scholar's program. More emphasis should be put on academics and less on winning games.

Posted August 25, 2003

My daughter has attended Bryant Schools since kindergarten, and she is now a Senior. I have been very pleased with both the curriculum and quality of teachers. The school's number of students has grown in leaps and bounds, but the district has handled this well. While there is always room for improvement in any school district, I can't think of a better school in this state for my daughter to attend.

Posted August 14, 2003

Bryant High School is an overall very good school, excellent for the state of Arkansas. My only complaint is that there seems to be a lot of money spent expanding the school and athletic departments, while our ROTC students, many of whom are working towards scholarships and military careers have to be bussed to Benton High School every day. When they have added activities for ROTC the students must find transportation to the next town. I find it descrimination against the students who strive for excellence and started early working toward their adult goals.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 70% in 2013.

592 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the Benchmark Exam to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in literacy and grades 3 through 8 in math. The Benchmark Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Arkansas Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 77% in 2013.

455 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 44% in 2013.

358 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

499 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the End of Course Exam to test high school students in Algebra I, Geometry and Biology. The results for End of Course Exams administered in the spring of each school year are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The End of Course Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Arkansas Department of Education

Asian 2% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 26%N/A60%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

201 Sullivan Dr