Asbell Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 448 students

Posted May 3, 2013

The new principle that came to the school this year has really changed the culture of the school, for the worse in my opinion. First off, she's not good with communicating to parents. Kids and teachers have told me they don't like her strict attitude. I rarely see her in the hallways during conferences. She cancelled a couple of afterschool events that have traditionally taken place there. If you knew Mrs. Greene (the previous principle), this new principle is the complete opposite in terms of attitude, openness, friendliness and leadership.

Posted August 31, 2011

My son started Kindergarten at Asbell just last month, and we are so impressed! His teacher is caring, has good classroom skills and communicates great. The morning assembly is a positive way to start the day, and makes my son want to get up and get to school. We are extremely pleased with our school!

Posted December 5, 2010

Asbell was truly the school with a heart until admin changed. The principal many see as strong is really a bit of a bulley, in my opinion. Ask the teachers who've left the building if you want to know the true story. The teachers who've stayed....wonderful!

Posted May 6, 2009

I have 4 kids at Asbell. Principal Greene is an excellent Principal. My kids have wonderful, caring teachers. We are zoned for another school in Fayetteville, but we transferred to Asbell because it's truly the school with a heart. It's definitely the best kept secret in Fayetteville. Asbell is awesome!

Posted April 30, 2008

I am very pleased with thsi school. I have 2 children in Asbell and plan on staying there. The teachers and office staff really care for the kids. I trust them to make the best decsions for my children, as they treat them as they would their own.My son attended part of Kindergaten at Washington Elementary and anytime I asked the staff for any sort of assitance there, they acted as if it was a giant chore. So the staff at Asbell has been a plesant upgrade. I also appriciate the fact that Asbell is both racially and economically diverse. Not all wealthy and white. The cons to this school would be parent involement and standardized test scores. As far as parents invovlement-we are very much a working class school - so that may be a factor. I do hope test scores improve to reflect the great effort of this incredible staff.

Posted January 26, 2007

Asbell is a wonderful school. The staff is among the best in town. The quality of education is great. The staff does a great job with providing an appropriate curriculum for its students. They go far above and beyond. I love the warm inviting feeling I receive when I walk through the door. I feel that my children are safe 100% of the time. The dismissal process for car riders and bus riders is thorough and safe. I can tell that the staff there is dedicated to a safe environment. I can also tell that my children are well loved by the teachers, staff, and principal. I thank you Asbell for being top notch.

Posted September 21, 2006

I am very happy with this school. My son started Kindergarten here just last month and I was so surprised at the amount of teacher involvement, amount of resources, and how much the teachers work with the parents. I couldn't believe that the Kindergarten classroom had 6 computers in it! That is excellent since these days, kids really need to learn computers early in life as everything is on the computer. I was also so happy with the fact that my son has Art once a week, Music class once a week (and will learn to play keyboards and other instruments even this year!), PE twice a week, and Library once a week (each of these are one hour per day). I really love this school! Miss Hays is the best

Posted January 25, 2006

When my daughter started at Asbell, I thought it was a great school. Well, my opinion has been severely altered. Her teacher is great. But that is where the good stops. The principal is concerned about nothing but money. She is rude and only acts like she cares for the kids when she knows you are there. When my daughter gets hit or pushed and tells the teacher instead of hitting back, she gets in trouble for 'being a tattle-tale.' As far as security...I am afraid every day that they are going to lose my child. I thank God that she is smart enough to be able to know what to do herself because the staff surely aren't any help. They say that they want parent involvment and then they turn you away. My daughter will not be at this school next year even if I have to homeschool her!

Posted November 8, 2005

I now have 2 of my children in my in Asbell. I appreciate the kindness & unity. I only had a problem one time and I e-mailed my daughters teacher about the problem with the sub-teacher, & today... my daughter had a sub-teacher, but it wasn't the teacher I had a problem with. I thank the principale for listening & caring. It's all about the children. Thank you.

Posted June 3, 2005

my son attended kindergarden at this school and was lost within only a few weeks. it took the schools 45 min. to even notify me they did not know where he was or how long he had been gone. i found my son on the on ramp to I540. with no help from the school. we have had nothing but problems with the staff, they seem to have forgotten these are children. not just numbers in the system. Be careful to all who attend this school, for far more reasons than i am permitted to tell of here.

Posted June 4, 2004

My daugther went to Asbell in K and first grade and I was very happy with the school.....The teachers are Great!!!!! PTA is GREAT!! I was a member of the PTA and I was surpised to see what we accomplished with so few members. more parents & teachers need to join!!! We moved to a new town so we had to change schools I am going to miss Asbell it is a great school!!!!!!

Posted April 23, 2004

I have twin boys in first grade at Asbell and one is a special needs child. I have never had better care and understanding than I have at Asbell! The diversity is perfect and the teachers and staff are amazing. I am humbled and grateful for all they have done for my boys.

Posted March 10, 2004

My child attends Asbell, I have not been very impressed with the communication between his current teacher and myself. Also, when there were concerns about my child I was not informed until punishment was involved. I did not have a good experience with the principal or the teacher. Of course I believe that each teacher is different, and maybe this was an isolated incident??? However, my child will not attend this school next year.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 79% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 86% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the Benchmark Exam to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in literacy and grades 3 through 8 in math. The Benchmark Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 85% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 79%N/A61%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1500 North Sang Ave