Fayetteville High School East

Public | 9-12 | 1812 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 14, 2014

I am planning on moving down t here over the summer i have three kids two with disability can someone tell me how the special classes are please.

Posted June 9, 2013

Fayetteville High School is an amazing school with plenty of opportunities to excel academically and in the community and a school where you'll get to meet amazing people along the way. Socially, FHS is one of those places that accepts everyone and people are able to float around group to group; there are no boundaries with finding students from all walks of life socializing with everyone. Academically, the teachers are well suited in teaching students the fundamentals of a curriculum, but also going above and beyond by adding their own twists from their experience to make learning accessible and fun. The language teachers and AP teachers are the best (in my opinion). ;) I love this school.

Posted December 14, 2011

Uneven teaching, but the only high school in the area in which you'd want your kids. If you go to parent/teacher conferences and check your student's homework and grades (online!) you can get a good feel for the quality of this school. The music and theater programs are great. Chemistry and history are standouts. Every other dept. has both excellent & disastrous teachers. 2011 state f'ball champs, lots of Nat'l Merit Scholars, counselors are helpful if you are persistent & involved. Very crowded but getting a facelift.

Posted January 31, 2011

Arkansas has one of the great school systems in American. Thanks in no small part to Bill and Hillary. Recently arkansas was rated 6th best in the nation. Fayetteville is one of the top three withing that designation. If your wanting to slide through just get your degree and move on then you will not like it here. This school is a top 5% school in the nation. They were #1 in Scholar awards in 2008. Half the graduating class receive some type of merit scholar award. If your a slacker or complainer you may get washed out. The teachers are teh best in the state, the course work is tough and AP courses are the norm. It's a hard school to attend. But FHS student after FHS student goes to college without needing remedial classes. FHS is tought, it's also one of the best schools in the nation. Whiners needed not apply.

Posted April 6, 2009

I went to FHS and am happy with how the administration, teachers, and administrative staff are all working together for the common goal of the students. FHS is meeting the No Child Left Behind standards because the school has never been on the needs improvement list. I am an Alumni and currently work for the high school. I know the academics that FHS has is the best is the state. FHS is ranked in the top 4% of the country according to Newsweek. The athletic program is the best in the state according to Sports Illustrated. In the past 5 years the more than one sport has contributed in bringing home a State Championship. That would be the baseball, softball, football, gymnastics, basketball, and many more. The music program is the best and nationally recognized as well!

Posted March 29, 2009

This school needs a serious change in directions. They care more about sports, land purchases, and AP classes than giving every child the education they need. The last time I checked they weren't meeting the no child left behind requirements. The district also needs to be more open with information such as test scores and drop-out rates.

Posted July 8, 2006

My daughter will graduate from FHS in 2007. She has had great teachers and a wonderful academic experience overall. Her test scores are high and she has scored well enough on her AP exams to qualify for college credit. There are plenty of extracurricular activities for students who want to get involved. Parent involvement is welcomed, but at the high school level parents often choose limited involvement. Our children transferred into Fayetteville and I believe we made the right choice!

Posted February 20, 2006

I am a student too, however, I am not one that is pleased. I do not agree that this school is being run well, nor do I believe that the teachers are that good. There are teachers that go above and beyond and are fantastic, but many are incompetent and do not deserve to even be considered for a job educating people. FHS is based on sports, not on the actual education.I am not pleased with this school in any way, and that is why I am transfering. I do not want to spend another minute here and I quite frankly can not figure out why anyone would.

Posted January 26, 2006

FHS is a good school which unfortunately is slipping into mediocrity. It has an amazing faculty with some of the most well educated teachers available, however, the principal (and most of the administration), does not value the teacher's input, nor does he consider student opinion. The band is amazing, and most of the extracurricular activities are outstanding. By far one of the better high schools.

Posted January 14, 2006

I'm not a parent at this time in life, but I'm proud to say that FHS was my first Hight School. I spent a great year in a half of my life there and I had to move in the middle of my junior year.I'm dissapointed that I couldn't graduate with my class of 2006 from FHS, but with out a doubt, if I could I would, but I will say this, while I was there I really enjoyed all the teachers, they really are helpful with the students. The students as well are really bright and determined, whom which I am very proudly to say were great friends of mine.

Posted February 13, 2005

FHS the school that showed me what true pride was, I would have been a senior this year but i had to move, but that school is the greatest school any teenager, teacher, or parent will be a part of. The music, the drama classes, the sports, the teachers, the kids, the janitors, they are what make this school great cause they all care and they're all great for going to a school with purple pride.

Posted November 19, 2004

I am not a parent but graduated as part of the class of 2004. Ignore any negative comments you hear about FHS. FHS is easily the best high school in the state and one of the best in the country. FHS has more scholars then any other school in the state and has the highest test scores in the state. As for athletics, FHS 2 years ago had the 3rd best guard in the country for basketball, 25th best wide reciever in the country for football, finished first in the overall athletic competition for arkansas and our sports teams have finished in the top 3 in more than half the state's sports for the past 5 years. As one out of state newspaper report 'Fayetteville has reached powerhouse status in the southwest.' It is no secret that as an alumni I am very proud of my school.

Posted November 13, 2004

I graduated from FHS in 2004, and I can tell you that it is one of the best schools in the country! Dr. Willison is a great principal and he was really involved in everything that went on on campus. From football games to choir concerts, everyone is really involved and really supportive of the high school. There isn't a soul in the school that doesn't fit in somewhere. There is a lot of diversity in race, religion and just about everything else. Fayetteville is a great high school.

Posted February 23, 2004

I'm not yet a parent simply because that is not an option to me at this time. I am a senior at FHS and felt the need to respond to a parent review. I feel that the school is very well run and the principals are very highly qualified with what they do this year. I've talked numerous times with the two principals and have been very impressed with them. Each really do care about what is best for each student. And as for the rest of the staff, all seem to keep me motivated to do my best. Sometimes problems lie in the student and his/her attitudes and not the staff. Anyway attending Fayetteville HS has been by far one of the best experiences of my life, being able to be so involved in what is going on. There truly is a place for everyone.

Posted September 21, 2003

I have not been impressed with the leadership of this school in the past. This year I shall be watching very closely, for the principal and the vice principal have both moved on and been replaced, the new ones have three years to change this school around. We shall see.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 70% in 2013.

551 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the Benchmark Exam to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in literacy and grades 3 through 8 in math. The Benchmark Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Arkansas Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 77% in 2013.

n/a

n/a

Biology

The state average for Biology was 44% in 2013.

575 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

428 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the End of Course Exam to test high school students in Algebra I, Geometry and Biology. The results for End of Course Exams administered in the spring of each school year are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The End of Course Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Arkansas Department of Education

Asian 4% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 26%N/A60%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1001 West Stone St