Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (9 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I have had very positive experiences with my sons' teachers. I felt that they were good communicators and willing to have open dialogue to find solutions in difficult situations.

Washington is a special place. In a town where we have seen neighborhood schools turned into super-sized schools, Washington remains the smallest (approx. 300 students) school in the district. It is common to see students walk to school, walk to downtown field trip events, and walk to after school activities at Wilson Park. Washington enjoys the support and resources of its active parent base, the University of Arkansas, and the Downtown district. The students are racially and economically diverse, and the school focuses on compassion, leadership, and conflict resolution as tools to navigate diversity.

All three of my children attend Washington, and we're very happy with our experiences here. I think Washington is the smallest elementary school in Fayetteville, which means that the principal and most teachers know your child personally here. The school offers numerous chances for parents to volunteer, both during the day and after school. The school is located in the "professor neighborhood," so local university professor parents (of which I'm one) often volunteer to teach in their specialty. The PTO is very involved, and because the school is right down town, it offers really fun and unusual fund raisers -- tours of historic downtown homes, and parking for Bikes Blues and Barbeque -- which means no selling candy bars. Every time I go in the school and see how organized, calm, on-task, and HAPPY the teachers manage to keep their classes, I'm again appalled at the ways some politicians attack teachers (we moved here from Scott Walker's Wisconsin). We love Ms. McLarty, Ms. Brown, and all the teachers at Washington.

This is hands down the best school in the area. The principal not only knows every student by name, but she knows every family. Each teacher takes the time to truly understand what the children are passionate about and strives to help them explore, experience, learn, and grow. One of my bunch started school with low test scores and a severe distaste for reading. Her teacher would not give up and kept introducing her to new ways to try things. A new book was sent home every few days for her to try until she finally found one that she liked. She has not stopped reading since. The councilor is the nicest, most caring person I have ever met. She goes the extra mile to really make sure each child is having a positive experience. She has set up some Fantastic community programs to include not only the students but the families as well. The students are taught responsibility for not only their selves and their school, but for their community and their Fellow man. They don't just get a first class education, the get amazing life skills.

We have two kids at Washington. We've been thrilled to watch them grow into better people year after year after immersion in the diverse and caring community at this school. The after school clubs are incredible—kids can stay until 4:30 and learn about everything from gardening to drumming to tumbling to journalism. This is a school and a community worth being passionate about.

Have 2 elementary age children in this school, and had 100% positive interaction with faculty and staff here. My daughter just graduated from Washington elementary with honors, which speaks highly of the teaching staff in this school. I am proud for my children to be a part of the experience at Washington.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teaching staff not only interacts with the students but take the time to keep parents informed as well

We just finished our fourth year at this school, only one remaining. I have been amazed at the teachers and staff, how they care and go out of their way to meet the kids needs and create family involvement. Both of my kids have learned and grown, the smaller school environment has benefited them greatly.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The teachers and the guidance counselor all promote helping our friends and honesty. The Steven Covey system of "Seven habits of Highly Successful People" is instituted at the school everywhere and my wife and I love it. The music teacher even wrote a song to promote this good, ethical way of life!

Our son just finished 2nd Grade at Washington Elementary. It was a great year!!! We love Washington and have enjoyed watching our son grow. What a great community of teachers, staff and parents. Can't wait for next year. Go Wildcats!!!

Last modified Washington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.