Fayetteville, AR

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 30, 2015
I have had very positive experiences with my sons' teachers. I felt that they were good communicators and willing to have open dialogue to find solutions in difficult situations.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 30, 2015
My older son had a difficult time learning to read. However, his first grade teacher worked diligently with him to provide tools for his toolbox that he knew how to use. Now, as a a rising third grader, he is an avid and happy reader.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 30, 2015
Washington was a pilot school for an adapted program based on the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. This program is part of the daily curriculum and teaches students the value of compassion and empathy in challenging situations.

Posted June 30, 2015
Washington is a special place. In a town where we have seen neighborhood schools turned into super-sized schools, Washington remains the smallest (approx. 300 students) school in the district. It is common to see students walk to school, walk to downtown field trip events, and walk to after school activities at Wilson Park. Washington enjoys the support and resources of its active parent base, the University of Arkansas, and the Downtown district. The students are racially and economically diverse, and the school focuses on compassion, leadership, and conflict resolution as tools to navigate diversity.

Posted June 27, 2015
All three of my children attend Washington, and we're very happy with our experiences here. I think Washington is the smallest elementary school in Fayetteville, which means that the principal and most teachers know your child personally here. The school offers numerous chances for parents to volunteer, both during the day and after school. The school is located in the "professor neighborhood," so local university professor parents (of which I'm one) often volunteer to teach in their specialty. The PTO is very involved, and because the school is right down town, it offers really fun and unusual fund raisers -- tours of historic downtown homes, and parking for Bikes Blues and Barbeque -- which means no selling candy bars. Every time I go in the school and see how organized, calm, on-task, and HAPPY the teachers manage to keep their classes, I'm again appalled at the ways some politicians attack teachers (we moved here from Scott Walker's Wisconsin). We love Ms. McLarty, Ms. Brown, and all the teachers at Washington.

Posted June 16, 2015
This is hands down the best school in the area. The principal not only knows every student by name, but she knows every family. Each teacher takes the time to truly understand what the children are passionate about and strives to help them explore, experience, learn, and grow. One of my bunch started school with low test scores and a severe distaste for reading. Her teacher would not give up and kept introducing her to new ways to try things. A new book was sent home every few days for her to try until she finally found one that she liked. She has not stopped reading since. The councilor is the nicest, most caring person I have ever met. She goes the extra mile to really make sure each child is having a positive experience. She has set up some Fantastic community programs to include not only the students but the families as well. The students are taught responsibility for not only their selves and their school, but for their community and their Fellow man. They don't just get a first class education, the get amazing life skills.

Posted June 09, 2015
We have two kids at Washington. We've been thrilled to watch them grow into better people year after year after immersion in the diverse and caring community at this school. The after school clubs are incredible—kids can stay until 4:30 and learn about everything from gardening to drumming to tumbling to journalism. This is a school and a community worth being passionate about.

Posted June 05, 2015
Have 2 elementary age children in this school, and had 100% positive interaction with faculty and staff here. My daughter just graduated from Washington elementary with honors, which speaks highly of the teaching staff in this school. I am proud for my children to be a part of the experience at Washington.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 05, 2015
The teaching staff not only interacts with the students but take the time to keep parents informed as well

Posted June 05, 2015
We just finished our fourth year at this school, only one remaining. I have been amazed at the teachers and staff, how they care and go out of their way to meet the kids needs and create family involvement. Both of my kids have learned and grown, the smaller school environment has benefited them greatly.

425 North Nighland Ave, Fayetteville, AR  72701
Last modified Washington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 77 reviews. Top