Greenland Elementary School

Public | K-4

Posted May 21, 2013

We have been pleased with the 2 teachers our child has had at Greenland. Both have been compassionate toward and invested in their students. Our child has thrived academically. However, I feel that the principal tries to set a tone that DISCOURAGES parents from voicing opinions and concerns. He is a politician that would rather just maintain the status-quo rather than engaging genuinely with parents. Also, I feel there is a tone of intolerance toward people with different backgrounds and appearances. His school motto is "Respect". Well, we have respectfully tried to approach him on more than one occasion, and have not felt respected in return. I would rate him a ZERO if I could. We will be making other arrangements next year.

Posted January 1, 2013

Greenland Elementary is an amazing school! Not only are the teachers top-notch, they truly care about our children. Coming from bigger schools myself, I was concerned about such a small school in a small community. I am pleasantly surprised to report my children are receiving a great education in a loving and nuturing environment. Keep up the good work Greenland Pirates!

Posted February 16, 2009

PTO in our opinion stands for Parent Teacher Organization not Teacher Parent Organization there is at this time not hardley any participation as it is with the meeting starting at 5:00 pm it's hard for any parent to be there if they work. Now they have changed the meetings to 3:30 pm starting in January. Now it will be near impossible for any parent to attend. You pay $5.00 per couple for the PTO membership what good does that do if you can't attend the meetings. The school talks about more parent involment but how is that possible when the only concern is the convicience of the teachers not the parents and the children whom this is intended for.

Posted February 13, 2009

Wow, Mrs. Sherer and Mrs. Cheevers are amazing teachers. They are proffessional and get along really well with the kids. They make learing fun and make every child feel special. I'm really glad I got to know them.

Posted October 15, 2007

I'm very impressed with the attention my child receives. For a small school, Greenland is great.

Posted July 9, 2007

Our daughter attended Greenland for 3 years. This year we are sending her somewhere else. The school is disorganized and the curriculum is lacking. In some cases the curriculum is flat out bad. This school sends out notifications for assemblies etc. at the last possible minute making it dificult for working parents toarrange to attend. Teacher turnover rate high.

Posted May 20, 2007

Mr. Arrowood. Thanks for your pleasant comments. I work with yours and every other child in this school every day. Unfortunately, it is not our school that chooses not to teach math this young. It is the state. I promise you that next year, we will have them moving right along with math. First grade has a great focus on math. Your child wont be left behind. Parents of kindergarten children have to try to understand how hard this first year is for their little one. They are leaving parents maybe for the first time, required to learn a whole new set of rules, required to sit still, learn to eat and play together...the list goes on. We have to give them a break somewhere. We certainly don't want to burn them out their first year! You will see your desired results next year, I promise. You will be glad you are here.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted March 16, 2007

I am new to the Greenland School District and have a daughter in kindergarten. I believe Ms. Wyatt is doing a fine job teaching our daughter to read. Communication seems to be fine, extracurricular activities seem to be available, and I have had no problems with the principal. My only wish is that the school district would add mathematics to the kindergarten curriculum. The focus on reading has resulted in extraordinary reading proficiency for our daughter's age. Yet, I don't want her to fall too far behind in math. I'm sure it's a balancing act. Overall, I am happy with our teachers, administration, and involved parents.

Posted March 8, 2007

As a parent with kids that attend Greenland schools, I have nothing bad to say about the school at all. The teachers have the chance to educate our kids better than most big school that my older kids have attended. I think disciplining kids with 'love' is fine, but, teachers also need to make sure as well as Mr Lamb the 'love' also needs to have authority the kids need. Teachers and staff need to be firm and yet caring. I know some kids that need that. Farmington runs a tight ship with almost military atmosphere. Maybe Greenland could use a little of that. And we need more male teachers. I don't know why most of our male teachers are leaving, but I feel that Mr Lamb is starting to become the last man on the moon in the elementary school. Lets get the male authority figure back.

Posted December 1, 2005

The new principal is horrible at best. I have no problems with the grade school teachers I have had 5 different onces (5th grader) and only one was extremely sorry. He didnt care for the kids nor what happened in his classroom it was more of a bother to be there with the kids then to teach them. I am proud that my child goes to Greenland--it is for the most part a great family atmosphere minus the principal. They have parents that help with both Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts. The Dad's that coach the baseball teams my son has been on is wonderful, as is the football teams and basketball. I have one that will start kindergarden next fall and I have no qualms about it other than the principal. If he was to go we would have a wonderful school.

Posted September 27, 2005

Greenland Elementary School is a diamond in the making. What a great place to start your child's education and know that they are truly #1 not as just 'statistics' but as total persons, Every child here is a story yet to be told and both they and their families are genuinely cared about. Don't get lost in the numbers game...raise a 'whole child' at Greenland!
—Submitted by a staff

Grade level

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 79% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 86% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the Benchmark Exam to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in literacy and grades 3 through 8 in math. The Benchmark Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Arkansas Department of Education

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 85% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Arkansas Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A61%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

200 North Sandy Ave